138* shoulder turn....WOW

TapInBirdie

Reaction score
Handicap
OOB 9(6rds
Had a great run through of the GolfTech services at my local Golfsmith the other day. Jordan walked me through what they do and even hooked me up to the harness that measure all kinds of angles for a sample. This was the first time ever, in over 20 years of golfing, that I'd had someone even look at my swing(oh the world as I knew it was about to change). Just in the 2 swings he recorded my set up was great accept for level hips, take away O.K. until it didnt stop at a 138* shoulder turn and 40* to much of hip turn. I broke the record for shoulder turn he said and showed me how the club was unflexing at half swing(for me) and I was guiding the club through impact zone. WOW, again. Always thought I had a bit of an overswing(being 5'8" and 150 wet) but this is crazy.

As I practice these now 66% swings to me, my tempo feels off. Havent hit a golf ball in a week and have just been getting used to a stopping point on way back and searching for a rhythm. Any suggestions on cutting down a huge overswing would be appreciated. THX

Man is that a lot of turn. I've been working to get more hip turn, but my shoulders are fine. I try to shorten the distance my arms go back and it seems to help with the shoulders. 138 is a crazy high number from what I've seem in my golftec experience.

Jordan at GolfTech was quite confused on how I manage to golf right around 80 basically looking away from the ball. This season, getting new irons, new 3w, and shortening the driver put that new club feeling in my head I think and got me way overswinging. All the practice around the yard and house taking these short swings(lol) feels great though and I cant wait to get out again. This may be the best thing thats ever happened to my game, we'll see..

Jordan at GolfTech was quite confused on how I manage to golf right around 80 basically looking away from the ball. This season, getting new irons, new 3w, and shortening the driver put that new club feeling in my head I think and got me way overswinging. All the practice around the yard and house taking these short swings(lol) feels great though and I cant wait to get out again. This may be the best thing thats ever happened to my game, we'll see..

Mine has also been that high. Usually though the shoulder tilt was in the teens to make that happen. Doesn't work well unfortunately. Now, if that number is in the 20's or 30's, that's pretty gross haha

A couple weeks ago I was playing with someone who had an exaggerated shoulder turn. His back swing was so extreme that it turned his head, and I could see that he was losing eye contact with the ball. However, he was a solid ball strike.

Its funny, I'm working on the exact opposite problem with my Golftec coach. My shoulder turn was only 70 degrees, now its about 85, and man I can't believe the extra yardage I'm getting. 138 degrees though? You must be a contortionist. I can't even fathom that! Would love to see the lesson download if you have it

Unfortunately it was just a walkthrough of the services, so I didnt get the downloadable disk. I guess all the stretching this winter payed off in flexibility to start season.

What really blew my mind, was that in slow mo you could see the club unflex at mid swing and watch me then guide the club through impact zone. Swing was done and I was just hanging on.

Mine has also been that high. Usually though the shoulder tilt was in the teens to make that happen. Doesn't work well unfortunately. Now, if that number is in the 20's or 30's, that's pretty gross haha

OH, it looked gross....I got to watch some dummy reach back into his 20's on the backswing to muster up another couple yards...lol...I knew something was way wrong this year and couldnt pin point it(cmon seems so obvious now). "Seems" like an easy fix that should get me back in the 70's... My shortgame this year has been saving my score each round. Along with 24 putt and 26 putt rounds in Kentucky last weekend. Would be nice to quit chasing the Driver and start hitting some more GIR

We sound like we have identical swings

We sound like we have identical swings

As I sit here and look left or right I notice that I can look over my left shoulder alot easier than my right one. LOL. One more reason for me to drive on family road trips, I have less of a blind spot.

Its funny, I'm working on the exact opposite problem with my Golftec coach. My shoulder turn was only 70 degrees, now its about 85, and man I can't believe the extra yardage I'm getting. 138 degrees though? You must be a contortionist. I can't even fathom that! Would love to see the lesson download if you have it

I think I helped with my flexibility this year by holding onto a 25lb weight and doing turns with it all winter. Careful though, you can pull something easily with too much weight.

138° of shoulder as long your head is moving around isn't terrible. Your hip rotation isn't terrible either in my opinion. But if your turning your head to the side to get shoulder turn then yes I would say thats an issue. If club is unloaded mid-downswing then you have no lag and huge loss of power.

That is not a shoulder turn as much as it is a body turn. The right leg has to straightening, the arms are swing and hip is rotating too much. Keep the right leg flexed, stop the tuen when you left shoulder reaches you chin. Arms shied be just above the right shoulder

That is not a shoulder turn as much as it is a body turn. The right leg has to straightening, the arms are swing and hip is rotating too much. Keep the right leg flexed, stop the tuen when you left shoulder reaches you chin. Arms shied be just above the right shoulder[/QUOTE

Thanks for the tips. I really am trying to use the shoulder to chin tech. and it has shortened me up to where I feel alot stronger through the entire swing. Having a hard time getting the lower body to stop soon enough to not be lagging behind on the swing. Went from having a pull hook miss to big slice at times now. Have not hit one drive to the left since shortening up. Getting this tempo down is gonna be a struggle I see.

After a 10 week hiatus for an elbow injury I've finally got a few rounds in this year. With a huge effort in shortening up the back swing and getting my body more fluid through the ball I am striking it way more consistent.

P.S. If you're not looking up after hitting the ball and wondering where it is, you peeked.

Remember the body and arms arrive at the ball at the same time. The ody needs to work behind the ball. If you get in front of impact with the body you will have an open club face. An open club face will give you that slice

Remember the body and arms arrive at the ball at the same time. The ody needs to work behind the ball. If you get in front of impact with the body you will have an open club face. An open club face will give you that slice
Thanks for the start on this. Golfing for a long time now and never had a lesson. So for me to consistently commit to a whole new swing idea was hard. Found that bending the knees a bit more really put me back in a better stance, giving me a much more planted feeling with great balance. In doing that I then moved my feet a little closer together (less wide of a stance) to get me about the same height. Figuring out the new tempo from such a shortened back swing is proving to be the inconsistent variable with the occasional peekaboo (tend to hit behind the ball about an inch when I do). Not hitting them quite as far now, but that's probably from doing nothing for 10 weeks with my right arm.

Back