Wilson Staff M3 Fairway Wood - THP Preview

I dunno, I think the HC is one of the best I've seen out of an OEM in a while from a colors and quality standpoint (though the old school covers like Adams and Cleveland Classic's still win my heart the most).

Agree, the headcover looks great, along with club looking phenomenal!

I do not need to be looking at this... I am happy with my Adams!

These and the driver are some good looking clubs! Can't wait to hear how they work out. I'd love to see a forum testing on these, but who wouldn't? :alien: Wilson is doing work with the releases this year so far.

I don't know why I didn't notice on the driver, but that headcover is nice. I like it when companies really pay attention to the details.

According to the spec sheet, the 13.5 degree is square at 15.5 degrees, 15/17 and 17/18.5. I hope this helps. JMan, these weights should work in the driver as well.

Im a huge fan on just the looks alone. Alot of adjustability option could give me headaches.. but im going to hit this the first chance I get.

According to the spec sheet, the 13.5 degree is square at 15.5 degrees, 15/17 and 17/18.5. I hope this helps. JMan, these weights should work in the driver as well.

Thank you, yep, we received a weight set for each club in the lineup.

Thoughts here soon, hit this one today and it was definitely interesting.

Love the matte finish! The club itself looks great, too!

Looks great nice looking head profile looks very clean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As with the irons, this one has been in play the last couple days, thoughts follow:

• I have set it to standard 17* and not moved it so far, that will come soon, but I wanted initial thoughts in the bone stock position. Additionally, I have NOT used the weights in this one YET. That will absolutely be happening this week.
  • What a looker. Seriously, I think I have hit almost all of the fairways out this year and have reviewed a LOT of them and this one ranks right there with the Bio+ in the looks category and honestly probably gets the nudge because of the black and matte grey scheme. Either way, the footprint is a throwback at address, its a smaller head but still has some decent depth to the face, deeper than the Bio+ as the pic's comparing them earlier in this thread show. IMO, they killed it with the sole/engraving on these too, the colors and all, they just look fantastic in the bag.
  • Forgiveness. The lateral give in this one is fitting of the better players profile IMO. You can get away with a little high, a little heel/toe, but being that its a smaller head it is def more demanding. Not terrifyingly so IMO, but it isn't built to be an ultra forgiving club, something to keep in mind. Think about it this way, W/S is big on their "Feel", "Control", and "Distance" and this one is considered to be part of the Feel and Control areas.
  • Off the tee. No issues here even with the compact design, it elevates easily at 17 and in fact is one of the higher launchers that I have hit in its stock setup, a very good thing as the flight is not losing anything on its ascent/descent. Its actually surprising the amount of distance off of it here, its one of the longest fairways I have hit this year, which I honestly didn't expect in any way shape or form to be honest. You have to give the variable face thickness some credit here for the ball speeds I have seen so far, its no wonder we have finally seen most OEM's jump in on it, not a new thing, but worth noting that W/S is utilizing it in this head.
  • Off the deck. Usually the big test, also usually where a more compact head lends itself to as the face isn't super deep like these mini drivers we are seeing now. I have had no issues hitting the towering shot off the deck, also I have had no issue taking a small divot and putting it on a rope off the deck into the wind. Distance here seems about average, which isn't a bad thing. Will be curious to see how this tunes as I start to tinker with weights and settings.
  • Shaft. Pleasantly surprised by this, some will look at the torque rating and tremble b/c its in the 4's but honestly I don't put too much stock in the torque on modern shafts, most golfers won't know any better. Fact is, the 65-S held up to my swing off the tee and the deck, it launched the ball well, and it kept a penetrating flight. Those are clearly all good things.
  • The hosel...its been talked a bit about in here, in the driver, and in Hawk's hybo thread but it is definitely the first thing you notice at address. That didn't last for me on the course, but I wouldn't be shocked if some have issues with it, it is thicker than most with the adjust-ability system W/S is using.
  • This one of the three M3 clubs/sets I am reviewing was without a doubt the biggest surprise. The distance out of it was not expected by me off the tee, additionally, the ball flight was easy launching. Again though, it is not a GI/SGI fairway, its a club for golfers with more repeatable swings IMO.
As always, if you have an questions, feel free to ask and I will do my best to get you an answer!

Which weight is in the head? I will be curious to see how you like changing the weights, and if you see a big difference.

Which weight is in the head? I will be curious to see how you like changing the weights, and if you see a big difference.

7g is the stock setup out of the box. Haven't messed with this one yet, did with the driver. Will these next couple sessions, I'll honestly be shocked if I personally see improvement there, but that isn't my job to tell what works best for me, its all about helping everyone better know what it really does. :alien:

How would you compare it to the mashie (my current gamer)? I love love love the looks of the Wilson line and if I was shopping purely on looks my entire bag would be top to bottom Wilson right now.

How would you compare it to the mashie (my current gamer)? I love love love the looks of the Wilson line and if I was shopping purely on looks my entire bag would be top to bottom Wilson right now.

I gamed the mashie's for a while, its longer, def not as forgiving IMO though.

Headed to the range soon, today will be range only but I am going to start tinkering with the lofts on this one and the weights as well as this is the one where I haven't done so yet and simply left it in standard 17* and 7g settings. Extremely curious about what the weights do to this one performance and sound wise.

This one continues to shine, now, that isn't to say its the best fairway I have ever hit necessarily, but rather that I'm impressed with just how all around solid it is performance wise. It has the look many will enjoy, the adjustability is simple and effective, the weights actually do change the launch and effect ball speeds based on the user, and it sounds nice.

Distances off the tee and deck are there with anything else I have tried this year but it is definitely a fairway that performs best with a repeatable swing as though there is forgiveness there, it is not the amount that one will see out of the larger footprint and face depth fairways we see elsewhere on the market. Its workable, its repeatable, it does what it is supposed to.

Gonna have to give the M# a look that is for sure.
Wonder why the fairway sounds good but the drivers sounds is not pleasant to some

I hope to be swinging some M stuff later today. Wilson Staff is doing a demo at the home course! :banana:

Also, I LOVE Phenom shafts. I wonder if this can excite me enough to boot the brand new X2Hot 3 out of my bag.

Wonder why the fairway sounds good but the drivers sounds is not pleasant to some

All about size, weight placement, and overall design. With an emphasis on the thinner crown (etched, not plated) it gives it a composite sound tendency, combine that with a deeper face to make for a larger overall interior cavity the acoustics get tricky. Its always easier to make fairways sound better based on sheer size of the clubs head.

The fairway sounds lightyears better.
I hope to be swinging some M stuff later today. Wilson Staff is doing a demo at the home course! :banana:

Also, I LOVE Phenom shafts. I wonder if this can excite me enough to boot the brand new X2Hot 3 out of my bag.

I don't think you would see the distance you would out of the X2Hot, its long, but maybe not that long. Precision is where this one shines the most though no doubt.

Well, that and it looks phenomenal.

Back