PING i25 Irons - Review Thread

I don't post on here very often, just do a lot of reading. After reading Jman's review of the I25's I went to demo days here and tried the I25's and wound up getting fitted by Ping rep. from Arizona. I was fitted with the CFS regular shaft and when they arrived I went out and hit a large bucket of balls and was not as impressed with them as I was at the fitting. That night I started having elbow issues again so I decided to put a set of new Ping graphite stiff flex shafts that I had pulled out of a set of I20's for a friend and went to the course the next day and hit range balls for about 1/2 hour prior to playing. To say the least I was blown away with the performance of these clubs. The trajectory was nice and high with a baby draw, but still penetrating. The dispersion was dead on, so I went to the course with my group and hit 14 green on my first round and have since played my second round with them. I have not missed a green with these in two rounds. My misses are generally thin and I have had two of these in two rounds and I couldn't believe the trajectory on these misses and the distance loss was minimal. I do not carry a 4 iron, but after playing the 5 iron I have ordered the 4 to put back in my bag. These iron are stupid accurate!! I can't wait to get back out and play today. If any of you guys are skeptical about trying Ping's graphite shaft's, don't be as they are quality shafts!! Just my two cents worth. Jman, I love reading your reviews.

I don't post on here very often, just do a lot of reading. After reading Jman's review of the I25's I went to demo days here and tried the I25's and wound up getting fitted by Ping rep. from Arizona. I was fitted with the CFS regular shaft and when they arrived I went out and hit a large bucket of balls and was not as impressed with them as I was at the fitting. That night I started having elbow issues again so I decided to put a set of new Ping graphite stiff flex shafts that I had pulled out of a set of I20's for a friend and went to the course the next day and hit range balls for about 1/2 hour prior to playing. To say the least I was blown away with the performance of these clubs. The trajectory was nice and high with a baby draw, but still penetrating. The dispersion was dead on, so I went to the course with my group and hit 14 green on my first round and have since played my second round with them. I have not missed a green with these in two rounds. My misses are generally thin and I have had two of these in two rounds and I couldn't believe the trajectory on these misses and the distance loss was minimal. I do not carry a 4 iron, but after playing the 5 iron I have ordered the 4 to put back in my bag. These iron are stupid accurate!! I can't wait to get back out and play today. If any of you guys are skeptical about trying Ping's graphite shaft's, don't be as they are quality shafts!! Just my two cents worth. Jman, I love reading your reviews.

Gaines, thank you for the kind words, it means more than you know.

Glad you're seeing what I did with these, they're just incredibly solid all around irons. Not the daintiest at address, but give me the all around performance they have any and every day over a players iron. Enjoy them!

Just a follow-up on todays round with the I-25's. Not a very good day with the ball striking, but this is where these clubs shine. As I stated in the previous post, my misses are thin and today was one of those days, but I still managed 13 greens on a bad day. The thin misses still had a decent trajectory and were only about 5 yard short of target, but everyone of them was dead on line. These clubs are unreal. I will also add that I was playing Mizuno 825 Pro's with KBS Tout 90 in stiff. I also have a set of Adams CB3 with SK Fiber 90 and 100 gram shafts using ascending weight and MOI. This is my first venture into cast stainless and as you can see I am impressed with the feel of the I-25's. I MOI all my clubs and have mostly stayed away from graphite shafts because you cannot add enough weight to the shorter clubs unless you add length, which I do not like to do on the scoring clubs,. When I put the Ping graphite shafts in the I-25's I was amazed all of the clubs were in spec.'s except the 9 iron, which I to add an 1/8 inch to length to get them back into tolerance. Quality graphite shafts.

No luck with my new purchase - a UPS truck accident and bunch of snapped shafts. I'll dig into the garage for a set to play this weekend, maybe the i15's will make a return.

No luck with my new purchase - a UPS truck accident and bunch of snapped shafts. I'll dig into the garage for a set to play this weekend, maybe the i15's will make a return.

Dang that sucks man. Sorry to hear that.

Got out to play a round w the i25's. Super wet/rainy conditions. Had a good balls striking day and had 3 birds. Teed off with the 4 iron at least 4 times, something I would never do before. I really like that club on the tee box.

The grips were pretty slippery when they got wet, but a quick towel rub dried them off pretty well. Will be playing 1 more round tomorrow and then changing the grips out.

I had a fun range session during my kids' first tee this morning. After warming up I decided to practice/attempt shaped shots. I found that I can hit a hard draw or moderate hook pretty much at will, just by focusing on the swing path and my hands in the follow through. I couldn't get a consistent slice or even much of a fare going today, but it's not a big deal to me at this point. Just knowing that I can hit that right to left shot when I need it is pretty cool. I've never had that kind of versatility before.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I should also add that I was able to do this with all of the irons, 6-U. I worked on trajectory a little bit as well. Just manipulating the position of the ball in my stance really affects the trajectory and distance. That's awesome, but it also means that I have to be mindful of where I'm putting the ball during my rounds. I'm going to have to spend some time figuring out just how much yardage is affected by those minor tweaks. So I really feel like I'm still just scratching the surface of what my game can be with these irons. I've never been this happy with a golf club purchase in my life. :banana:

The PING i25 is the ONLY game improvement iron I have ever hit that has the distance control of a blade.

The PING i25 is the ONLY game improvement iron I have ever hit that has the distance control of a blade.

I'll second that. Grabbed a 9 iron the other day only to realize I only had 120 in. Was able to hit a shot to about 15 feet that I honestly didn't think I could do.

I third this. Ive been really focusing on achieving similar distances with different clubs. these irons are very consistant when putting a good swing on then no matter if its full all the way down to half.

I third this. Ive been really focusing on achieving similar distances with different clubs. these irons are very consistant when putting a good swing on then no matter if its full all the way down to half.

I love golf equipment and I normally only put in my bag what I completely trust. Right now, in my bag, I think I have a full lineup of clubs that I have 100% confidence in. It's been a while since I've honestly felt that way. The control of the i25's is just inspiring.

I've been watching some Champions and LPGA events this weekend. I see the PING i25's in the bags of a lot of players not even listed on the PING site under PROS. When you see people bagging a club, I'm assuming they aren't getting payed to play, that really says a lot. They make their livings with these tools and they trust the PING i25 to get the job done.

This weekend one of the announcers had mentioned how much Cristie Kerr's iron play has improved this year since a recent iron change. If you look in her bag you'll see the PING i25's. I also notice Meena Lee using the irons this weekend. She was in the top 10 so was getting camera time and watched her hit the i25 irons to finish in second place.

Thought I'd sign up (long time lurker) and say thank you to all who have posted in this thread as I have recently ordered my i25s. The feedback and discussion in this thread had a lot to do with me making the decision.
Out of my close golfing friends 4 guys have recently purchased new sets and they all went for Mizuno's (MP64, 59 and 54's X 2) and I have gone in the opposite direction away from Mizuno. I must say i really liked hitting high and straight 7 iron's that flew 10 meters further than my mp52's. Looking forward to getting out on the course when they arrive.

I have ordered 4-UW after the PING rep himself came out and did the fitting for me which is just great customer service.

Thought I'd sign up (long time lurker) and say thank you to all who have posted in this thread as I have recently ordered my i25s. The feedback and discussion in this thread had a lot to do with me making the decision.
Out of my close golfing friends 4 guys have recently purchased new sets and they all went for Mizuno's (MP64, 59 and 54's X 2) and I have gone in the opposite direction away from Mizuno. I must say i really liked hitting high and straight 7 iron's that flew 10 meters further than my mp52's. Looking forward to getting out on the course when they arrive.

I have ordered 4-UW after the PING rep himself came out and did the fitting for me which is just great customer service.

Welcome to THP! Glad this thread helped you find a set you liked :)

the more I play these irons, the more I'm thinking I'm going to go ahead and order the set SW. I've kind of played around with a few different pitching techniques lately to find what works best for me and I think I'm getting there. Today I had some really good success using the UW and letting my wrists break in the back swing on pitches and holding the blade open on the follow through. I'm getting the ball to dance and stop that way pretty well and I'm making good contact every time with the UW. I had a par-5 where I had to lay up my 2nd, due to an errant tee shot and hit my pitch to 3 feet to save a birdie today. Not to sound like a broken record, but my GIR stats are consistently better than they have ever been and I'm getting really comfortable with these in short game situations. The UW seems to be what I'm pulling for pitches inside of 50 yards and I'm really enjoying the PW on greenside chips.

the more I play these irons, the more I'm thinking I'm going to go ahead and order the set SW. I've kind of played around with a few different pitching techniques lately to find what works best for me and I think I'm getting there. Today I had some really good success using the UW and letting my wrists break in the back swing on pitches and holding the blade open on the follow through. I'm getting the ball to dance and stop that way pretty well and I'm making good contact every time with the UW. I had a par-5 where I had to lay up my 2nd, due to an errant tee shot and hit my pitch to 3 feet to save a birdie today. Not to sound like a broken record, but my GIR stats are consistently better than they have ever been and I'm getting really comfortable with these in short game situations. The UW seems to be what I'm pulling for pitches inside of 50 yards and I'm really enjoying the PW on greenside chips.

I will be the first to say I had serious doubt about the set wedges. In the beginning I was vwry skeptical. Took a little work to find the right ball position, but I absolutely love them now. Just as forgiving as the rest of the set and consistency is top notch. Im sure ill try forged wedges again in the future, but at this time I have no desire too. Thats saying alot since thats all I ever played before these.

I will be the first to say I had serious doubt about the set wedges. In the beginning I was vwry skeptical. Took a little work to find the right ball position, but I absolutely love them now. Just as forgiving as the rest of the set and consistency is top notch. Im sure ill try forged wedges again in the future, but at this time I have no desire too. Thats saying alot since thats all I ever played before these.

I will second this.

While I do not play the I25's, I play set wedges in the I20s. Best golf investment I have made to date. Uber forgiving and they prevent me from trying shots that I know I cannot pull off. They do EVERYTHING that I need them to do.

I have now got 4 rounds with my I25 irons. I am a 24 handicap who is very inconsistent with irons. So much so that I don't play an iron below a 7 iron. However I can hit the 7-U set I have very well and go where I aim them. They are very forgiving and even on poor struck shots they still go. I also have speed blades and distance wise they are about the same for me, but I prefer the feel of the I25 irons. So even if you are a high handicapper give them a hit and you be shocked at how good these irons are.

Mizuno's (MP64, 59 and 54's X 2) and I have gone in the opposite direction away from Mizuno.

As a long time Mizuno blade player I think you made the right choice in the PING i25's.

I played the i25's against the Mizuno MP-69's, 54's, and JPX EZ's. The 69's are blades and just aren't even close to being forgiving. The 54's were nice for thin shots but not much help towards the toe area. The JPX EZ's were pretty decent for forgiveness but couldn't hold a candle to the PING i25's for feel.

If you gamed the MP-52's in the past I think you're really going to love the PING i25's 4-6 irons. The i25 4 iron probably going to be easier for you to hit than the MP-52's 7 irons. The PING i25's are just so easy to launch high but still give you the control to knock it down a bit when needed.

As a long time Mizuno blade player I think you made the right choice in the PING i25's.

I played the i25's against the Mizuno MP-69's, 54's, and JPX EZ's. The 69's are blades and just aren't even close to being forgiving. The 54's were nice for thin shots but not much help towards the toe area. The JPX EZ's were pretty decent for forgiveness but couldn't hold a candle to the PING i25's for feel.

If you gamed the MP-52's in the past I think you're really going to love the PING i25's 4-6 irons. The i25 4 iron probably going to be easier for you to hit than the MP-52's 7 irons. The PING i25's are just so easy to launch high but still give you the control to knock it down a bit when needed.

I think the feel of a mizuno is unmatched, however feel and performance are 2 different things. And to be fair there is no better feeling than performing well and shooting lower scores so lets hope these new sticks perform their ass off. 4-6 irons have been the clubs that cause my biggest misses to occur so your statement about them being as easy to hit as my current 7 iron is very encouraging.

I am very excited for my irons to arrive so i can get out there and start dialing them in. With the extra 10 meters (on average) I was getting from the i25s during testing I can afford to ditch my 3 iron and play the UW. Will definitely be posting an update here once they arrive.

I think the feel of a mizuno is unmatched, however feel and performance are 2 different things. And to be fair there is no better feeling than performing well and shooting lower scores so lets hope these new sticks perform their ass off. 4-6 irons have been the clubs that cause my biggest misses to occur so your statement about them being as easy to hit as my current 7 iron is very encouraging.

I am very excited for my irons to arrive so i can get out there and start dialing them in. With the extra 10 meters (on average) I was getting from the i25s during testing I can afford to ditch my 3 iron and play the UW. Will definitely be posting an update here once they arrive.
Feel is obviously subjective. But I thought the i25s were very comparable to my Mizuno MP-H4's on feel, maybe even better (with both being very nice but a clear notch below my Bridgestone DPCs on feel).

I don't have the coin (or need) to buy new clubs right now but I must admit that one quick range session with i25 long irons has me thinking about the extra forgiveness and playability of these irons. It would be super easy to game these.

Solid job testers, keep up the good work.

I think the feel of a mizuno is unmatched

I agree 100% on the Mizuno forged irons, still love my MP-69. My feel comparison was on the JPX EZ, they are cast clubs that feel blah. Took me a few days to grove the feel and sound of the i25's, both we're good but I predominantly played forged for the last 10 years so it was just different.

I will say this though, a flushes PING i25 shot feels like you're hitting a marshmallow. And because of the larger sweet spot you get a nice feel for slight off center hits as well.

looking forward to your thoughts after you get to play them a few rounds.

I just hit my new i25s at the range, with crappy range balls off of questionable mats. I have a terrible swing, score decent, play to about a 14 index. i will break 80 a few times and shoot par many times on the first 9 holes but blow up on the back. anyhow, i am a picker, and with the softer cfs shaft and the progressive offset of the i25s, i have instantly improved my ball striking. the improved ball striking leads to more confidence, so on so fourth, you get the idea.

Here is my objective view of the clubs

Pros - great feel (soft but still felt explosive off the face), stable club with good balance, a nice price point, soft tip shaft, helps with early release swings like myself. this is a no nonsense club, optimal to sub optimal swings are rewarded with penetrating ball flight that holds the line well. i also found that my ball didn't curve as much, it probably has more to do with the shaft seeing how i was playing xforged with pxi 5.5 before. it has sufficient forgiveness on thin hits but suffer with toe hits, probably due the stouter club head vs the G series. I rarely hit the ball fat so i can't comment on how fat shots perform. I rather hit it thin vs fat any day, in any universe. i was able to hit knock downs with my 6 iron, no ballooning issues whatsoever. the trajectory was true and predictable as with all modern day clubs in this category.

Cons - stock shaft ain't for everybody, then again no stock shaft is either, stock grips are sucky, durability and finish 1/10. i barely nudged the steel ball basket with my iron a couple times and there is a scratch on the bottom toe of the face. I hit hundreds of balls with my old Ping G20 and they barely showed any marks so I know exactly how old pings were vs the new finish. I am actually quite disappointed with the durability of the satin finish, that said i like the look of it better than the old style ping irons.

For this price point, assuming the stock CFS reg/stiff fits your swing profile, I don't think you can find a better set of irons on the market. The value/performance/cosmetic/resale value of these clubs are hard to beat.

I just hit my new i25s at the range, with crappy range balls off of questionable mats. I have a terrible swing, score decent, play to about a 14 index. i will break 80 a few times and shoot par many times on the first 9 holes but blow up on the back. anyhow, i am a picker, and with the softer cfs shaft and the progressive offset of the i25s, i have instantly improved my ball striking. the improved ball striking leads to more confidence, so on so fourth, you get the idea.

Here is my objective view of the clubs

Pros - great feel (soft but still felt explosive off the face), stable club with good balance, a nice price point, soft tip shaft, helps with early release swings like myself. this is a no nonsense club, optimal to sub optimal swings are rewarded with penetrating ball flight that holds the line well. i also found that my ball didn't curve as much, it probably has more to do with the shaft seeing how i was playing xforged with pxi 5.5 before. it has sufficient forgiveness on thin hits but suffer with toe hits, probably due the stouter club head vs the G series. I rarely hit the ball fat so i can't comment on how fat shots perform. I rather hit it thin vs fat any day, in any universe. i was able to hit knock downs with my 6 iron, no ballooning issues whatsoever. the trajectory was true and predictable as with all modern day clubs in this category.

Cons - stock shaft ain't for everybody, then again no stock shaft is either, stock grips are sucky, durability and finish 1/10. i barely nudged the steel ball basket with my iron a couple times and there is a scratch on the bottom toe of the face. I hit hundreds of balls with my old Ping G20 and they barely showed any marks so I know exactly how old pings were vs the new finish. I am actually quite disappointed with the durability of the satin finish, that said i like the look of it better than the old style ping irons.

For this price point, assuming the stock CFS reg/stiff fits your swing profile, I don't think you can find a better set of irons on the market. The value/performance/cosmetic/resale value of these clubs are hard to beat.

Wasnt the best grips in my opinion either. Not terrible, just not for me.

Suprised about the finish though, mine have stayed very durable during my use of them.

As far as the shafts, they have been above average for me.

All in all im glad your liking them and look foward to your reviews from the course.

Interesting...I thought the finish has held up great. No signs of bag chatter either.

Tap Tap Taparoo

Back