Adams XTD Ti Hybrid

Draven

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi all. Has anyone hit the new XTD hybrid from Adams yet? I had the old model for a while, and am keen to get some thoughts from those of you who might have had a chance to test it.

Cheers!

Hi all. Has anyone hit the new XTD hybrid from Adams yet? I had the old model for a while, and am keen to get some thoughts from those of you who might have had a chance to test it.

Cheers!

I had the chance to hit it this weekend on a simulator; demo'd the 18 and 23 deg, both had the RedTie stiff shaft. I currently play the older XTD (silver with fubuki shaft) for comparison as well. The head is a little more compact than I expected but is about the perfect size for me. Not large FW sized but still plenty of face there. I like the black finish in their new line better than the past few models, the slot almost disappears at address with the mat black finish. Big improvement over the past couple models. Distance... well the XTD line has always been super long and this is no exception; based on the lofts I tried I saw distances I'd expect based on previous XTD models.... which means long. The sound / feel is good, and really like the stock shaft pairing here in the Red Tie. Where the big advantage is with next year's line is the adjustability I think. The ability to fine tune your loft and have fade / draw bias on a hybrid like this is awesome. I didn't play with the adjustability but is a great option to fine tune your numbers. Oh... and stock Iomic Grip?!?! Thank you Adams!!

I wasn't crazy about the white version of last year but am in ponder mode for the 2014 version after getting quite a few swings with it. The black finish is fantastic plus the adjustability is a huge step up for Adams and should be on any short list for those int he market for a hybrid. While pretty pricy, there are a lot of 25% off coupons floating around these day's that bring the cost inline with other lineups. I really want to compare with the new XHot line when it becomes available but Adams has a solid club here for next year's lineup. 23deg is a big ponder for my setup next year.

Thanks for posting your thoughts bhillin! I'll definitely be looking to give them a try when they arrive in NZ. Cheers.

Thought I'd give this a bump as I haven't seen much on this club on here. I've played a few rounds and numerous range sessions with this club this year and it continues to impress. As an Adams hybrid fan for some time, this has been my favorite for far It's a smaller profile than the old silver XTD and last year's LS... a good thing in my opinion. The addition of the adjustability to this club is fantastic to fine tune the ball flight your looking for. Red Tie shaft pairing as with the rest of the XTD line is a great fit for this club.

After a few rounds in a variety of conditions the smaller profile really get's through the rough well yet is large enough to give me confidence for shots off the tee. I used this club a few times today; two times that stick out are both on par 5's that got me on the green in two from over 210 out and both hitting from the rough. The 23* with the shaft set in the upright position holds the greens well and have been consistent for me as far as my distances. The matt black crown hides the slot well so I don't even notice it anymore.

With so many good hybrid offerings this year the XTD Ti may be over looked but is worth a hit if your in the market.

I actually played mine today for quite a few shots. I had only hit it once on the course since a I got it. Seeing some great shots from this hybrid. This is not your typical hybrid loft though. I am playing with a 16°, and really liking it off the tee. I hit it numerous times is the tee, and found the fairway almost every time. The one time I missed, it was a a little dogleg left into the wind. I cut off a little too much and caught a tree branch. It left me with 220 to the pin, and I got the chance to hit it for the second shot also. It was smashed, but I miss judged the wind direction and ended up short and left.
Other than that miss, the club performed phenomenally today for me.

I hit this at a demo day last weekend. It was really windy, so I can't comment on distance but it felt great off the face.

I actually played mine today for quite a few shots. I had only hit it once on the course since a I got it. Seeing some great shots from this hybrid. This is not your typical hybrid loft though. I am playing with a 16°, and really liking it off the tee. I hit it numerous times is the tee, and found the fairway almost every time. The one time I missed, it was a a little dogleg left into the wind. I cut off a little too much and caught a tree branch. It left me with 220 to the pin, and I got the chance to hit it for the second shot also. It was smashed, but I miss judged the wind direction and ended up short and left.
Other than that miss, the club performed phenomenally today for me.

How is hitting the 16 off the turf and can you hold a green with it?

How is hitting the 16 off the turf and can you hold a green with it?

It have had no issue at all from the turf with this. I will say that I have only had limited shots on the course with this one. I don't recall hitting a green with it yet. I have been using it off of the tee, for the most part. I think the last round was my first and only attempt at getting to a green with this club.
I will say that the Adams Pro @ 20° has been very good at holding the green for me.

I am going to try this hybrid out in the 26* model. Will definitely be the highest lofted hybrid I have ever hit, so might be a bit different then your thoughts with the 16*!

I am going to try this hybrid out in the 26* model. Will definitely be the highest lofted hybrid I have ever hit, so might be a bit different then your thoughts with the 16*!

I like it, have to admit I have a bit of a ponder with the 26 as well. The 23 is a bomber and just don't have the same confidence in a 5 iron vs this.

So could this thing replace the 3/4 wood? Ti face, a bomber, in 16 or 18 degrees with its length, is this the right way to think about this club?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So could this thing replace the 3/4 wood? Ti face, a bomber, in 16 or 18 degrees with its length, is this the right way to think about this club?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say yes. That was how I played my last round. I used the 16° from the tee on quite a few holes. My confidence with this club is growing.

I need to get this one out again this week and hit it head to head with the Bio at the same loft, it really hasn't gotten as much time in the bag as it should.

I need to get this one out again this week and hit it head to head with the Bio at the same loft, it really hasn't gotten as much time in the bag as it should.

Any further thoughts on this yet James?

I got my first round in with the 26* and it was very solid. Hit some really good shots with it (used it 3-4 times) and it has found a permanent place in the bag.

Now I just need to figure out distance compared to my 5 iron to see if it is worth it to carry both. Definitely a different ball flight and this is super easy to hit, but makes the bag makeup complicated now.

Think people are sleeping on these because of the price, but this is a great offering from Adams with an awesome stock shaft. If you find these at a demo definitely give them a hit.

I'm playing the 18* hybrid and whilst I've only played it for a half round at this stage, I'm really pleased. Strong ballflight, good dispersion, good distance - this will also be used as my fairway finder when I don't fancy pulling driver.

Im still loving the XTD driver as well - the 2014 release from Adams is great for me!

I'm thinking that my XTD hybrid will get a good workout today on the course. Today, the driver stays in the bag and my XTD (16°) and the stage 2 (15°) 3W will be carrying the tee box load. Looking for control from the tee box today.

Adams 2014 XTD TI hybrid users....

Adams 2014 XTD TI hybrid users....

How are you getting along with yours?

i have a 23* that I'm kinda "eh" about. I bought the head, shafted with a Kuro Kage black shaft. It's a bigger head, but I actually hit my pro mini more consistently. I'm thinking of getting rid of it and getting the new Tight Lies Hybrid coming out soon

I can't remember anybody really talking about them here at all. Seems that it wasn't in very many bags, but at the price I can understand why. I wanted to grab one at one point, but sticker shock scared me off.

$150 is pretty attractive. I loved the LS for shots off the tee at least.

Yeah. I just can't seem to get along woth it off the fairway though. May have to list this in the "not so distant" future and pick up the tight lies hybrid when it comes out

I picked up a 4h.

Mixed feelings. Liked it off the tee and it was ok from the turf. Shape and size are both perfect, even with the slot.

Why did Adams ruin the sound of their hybrids? The Super LS was a benchmark and now everything is that weird, muted glop. Disappointing from the first swing there.

Ball flight and distance were fine, but it didn't seem as long as my X2Hot. I'm going to verify that indoors this week, but if not it's going to have to go.

You're spot on Hawk. I tried one out but didn't purchase. Performance was as good as anything, but the sound was very unsatisfying (for me).

I picked up a 4h.

Mixed feelings. Liked it off the tee and it was ok from the turf. Shape and size are both perfect, even with the slot.

Why did Adams ruin the sound of their hybrids? The Super LS was a benchmark and now everything is that weird, muted glop.
Disappointing from the first swing there.

Ball flight and distance were fine, but it didn't seem as long as my X2Hot. I'm going to verify that indoors this week, but if not it's going to have to go.

I think this is where I didn't like it, and ended up going to the X2Hot for the 5H (which I love).

Man, I just don't get it. They've had some great sounding hybrids and then they put out a whole year's worth of duds.

Back