Is par always a good score

As a number, no I will never be mad at par. But if I have an easy putt for birdie that I miss, yes it can be aggravating

Par is good score for me. I have an 18 handicap. The more pars the lower the score, the lower the handicap.

Sure, par is good, but if I am putting for eagle and get a par, or putting for birdie from 12 feet or less, then par is not acceptable.

Par is always good, yet not always satisfying.

I have said it many times that 18 pars in 1 round on a par 72 course would beat my best score ever by 1, so pars are good with me.

Pars are good, birdies are better. Won't turn either one away. :D

Unless your handicap is on the "+" side par is a good score

par is a fine score... it's par. it's what you're *supposed* to score, right? IMO "good" would be anything better than *net* par. in terms of net: eagle, birdie, par, bogie, double could be better stated as "fantastic, good, fine, poor, and bad". that's the way I think about it.

Do you think Par is always a good score? Do you kick yourself for making par sometimes when you were in position for birdie or better?

I know old man par or good but is it always the best?

Old man par is always a good score. Only time old man par wouldn't be good enough is if I'm playing a tournament.Other then that,It's my goal

Rarely am I all that upset with a par but occasionally I have situations where I feel that there's no reason I shouldn't make a birdie. Obviously a 3 putt on a par 5 is a bummer but also short par 4's where I put it close to the green and either hit a bad pitch or miss a short putt... those kill me.

For me, missing birdie putts are just conversation after a round; i.e. Yes, I played okay, but I missed four putts at birdie! What is real for me is counting the three putts. That always is the reality check for me.

I have to agree with most here in thinking that I'm never extremely mad at a par, but if I have a makable birdie putt I can't help but think that I'm giving one away by not converting even tho I'm not.

It's an almost ridiculous question, of course par is always a good score. It might not be the best score but 99.9% of golfers would be extremely happy with 18 pars. While we're asking ridiculous questions, "Do people find it miraculous that we make contact with the ball at all?".

I would counter that the operative word is "always". yes, 18 pars is awesome for most people. But that's a specific situation. If you're sitting one stroke away from a PB and you have a 3 foot birdie putt on the 18th... then par is not a good score ;)

The OP answered the question he asked so I can't see the point of this thread? Par is good and of course birdies, eagles etc are better therefore par isn't always the best score. You might as well ask if anything other than an ace on a par3 is bad shot, or if hitting the fairway is always the best, or if hitting GIR is the best result etc etc etc..........

Par is for the lazy and out of shape.............takes a real man to play double and triple bogey!

I shot 8 of 9 par's once earlier this year - best feeling I've ever had in golf, so yeah ... par is GOOD

I like par and I'll take it every time. Not to say I'm not frustrated with three putt pars or even two putt pars if I had a close approach.

Using Tapatalk

The OP answered the question he asked so I can't see the point of this thread? Par is good and of course birdies, eagles etc are better therefore par isn't always the best score. You might as well ask if anything other than an ace on a par3 is bad shot, or if hitting the fairway is always the best, or if hitting GIR is the best result etc etc etc..........

Well based on that logic what is the point of any thread? I would say if it sparks some conversations and allows people to share different opinions, it's a good thread. There are some differing opinions in this thread which makes for good conversation.

Conclusion: yes

I'm happy with par every time :)

To quote our good friend David Simms from Tin Cup. "I'll take 18 of em"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back