I hit my Tour Striker better than my irons. Question on a thought I had....

glock35ipsc

Reaction score
Handicap
At the range yesterday, I'd sent 2 large buckets down range by the time I was through. Long story short, I could not hit my irons to save my life! I have hit them well in the past (not fitted), but after a back injury this winter, I am coming back slowly. I was pleased that at the end of the session (and by the end of the day) I still had no back pain. Score! So that was good and all, however I was not pleased that my irons shots were such rubbish. :banghead: Wedges were good, as was the driver, irons..... not so much. BUT, there was one iron that I could NOT mishit, the Tour Striker 8 iron. EVERY TIME I hit this club, it was a beautiful high 2-3 yard draw.

I could switch between any given iron and the Tour Striker, and I can count on one hand the number of bad shots with the Tour Striker. And with my irons, I hit every kind of shot imaginable... thin, fat, pulled, 3 foot off the ground, etc. No height or distance. But the TS was amazing. It absolutely felt buttery, and the ball flight from that club was the equivalent of that one shot you have, after not having a good round, that one shot you hit that keeps you coming back for more. It was that good! Good enough that I mumbled to myself "hmmm, me thinks I'll toss my regular 8 iron and keep this one in the bag for good!!" a few times.

OK, so I lied, it was a long story. My thought was, could it be that the MOI of the Tour Striker is better suited to me than my Cobra AMP irons? I started thinking last night that I should find a builder that could check the MOI of the Tour Striker, and compare that to my irons. If there is a significant difference, would it make sense to either rebuild or build a new set to match the MOI of the Tour Striker? Or at the very least, build a single club to test? I've been tossing around the idea of looking for a new set of irons. I am starting to like the looks of a smaller head at address. Two that I particularly like are the Callaway Apex and the Mizuno MP54. Not that they have small heads, but to me, the look better at address than the AMPs.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Bob

Are you talking MOI matching or the MOI of the actual clubhead?

Oops, I should have elaborated on that, thanks Hawk. Yes, the MOI matching of the AMPs to that of the Tour Striker.

An example of my thought process..... A guy has a particular club that he hits the best, thinks it feels the best, etc. Take his set to his builder/fitter and has the set matched to the "good club" through MOI matching.

I don't have any feedback on that, but I know some people really believe in its benefits. I had a chance to do it and ended up passing due to cost.

I hit my tour striker really well also. It forces you to come into the ball with the correct attack iron to compress the ball. I sold the darn thing and wish I still had it. :beat-up:

I had a similar experience with mine and distance gain. I believe it is all related to the angle of attack

Eh, I had it and sold it. It basically teaches to hit down, but your downswing becomes so steep as a result that it ends up hurting you in other ways. I think the theory is good but I've never been good at transferring a drill/aide to the real swing. I'd rather just learn the swing correctly.

My advice would be to put the Tour Striker in the bag.

My advice would be to put the Tour Striker in the bag.

I'm telling ya, as good as the ball flight was..... if Martin made a full set of these things, I almost think I would bag a full set!!

unless I am just badly misunderstanding the definition of MOI, I don't think it could affect your fat/thin/toe strikes at all. I would guess that it has more to do with the swing weight than anything else, but I can't find the swing weight specs of the tour striker to compare.

I'm telling ya, as good as the ball flight was..... if Martin made a full set of these things, I almost think I would bag a full set!!

I've thought the same thing, spoke to him about it online as well. I thought maybe there was something like that in the works, but haven't heard anymore about it.

I hit my Tour Striker better than my irons. Question on a thought I had....

unless I am just badly misunderstanding the definition of MOI, I don't think it could affect your fat/thin/toe strikes at all. I would guess that it has more to do with the swing weight than anything else, but I can't find the swing weight specs of the tour striker to compare.

MOI matching is a way of building a set of irons that requires the same amount of energy to move the club. If blindfolded, someone could hand you various irons from an MOI matched set for you to swing, and you shouldn't be able to tell the difference between clubs. My 5 iron had a totally different feel then the 7 iron, even though the swingweight is the same.

I've been chatting with Tow Wishon about this yesterday and he agrees it would be a good experiment. Spoke to the builder that has a shop at my coach's studio last night, and he is meeting with Tom this week, so he's going to discuss it with him as well.

He is a good, down and dirty explanation of it:

conquestcustomgolf.com/MOIMatching.html

Tapa tapa tapa

ahhh. see, I was thinking of MOI as it related to the clubhead and not the entire club. It makes more sense now. that article is actually a good read... I am especially intrigued by this:

After research and testing, it is believed that a very good reason for the fact that golfers do have “favorite longer club” they hit well is that the MOI of that club(s) happens to match the strength, tempo and swing mechanics of the golfer noticeably better than the other clubs.

I've always preferred the 6i in my current set. I just hit it better. Perhaps MOI matching could make all my clubs swing like that one. Thanks for the info!

They really are great clubs and the graphite shaft fits me to a tee.

Back