First Amatuer Golf Tournament Since High School

coers

@andrewcoers
Reaction score
Groveland,IL Central Illinois/Just south of Peoria
Handicap
Well here soon the last day is coming for signing up for the Tazwell County Amatuer Tournament. Durring the tournament which is a week and half away I will have to play the blue tee's which are around 6900 yards. I have been playing alot there lately at Lick Creek Golf Course (http://www.pekinparkdistrict.org/lickcreek.html) so I know the course pretty well and know what kind of shots I need to make. This course is really thick with trees on the front, and especially on hole #6 a par 5 589 yards. In order to hit the fairway from the tee's you have to atleas hit a straight 200+ yard shot. If you hit a hard fade or draw your going to be in the trees, also if you top it you will be in the deep brush/tree valley in front of the tee's. This is the only hole that get's to me because it's so long and has a such a tight fairway. When I am on hole #5 all I can think about is the next hole and if I can make it on the fairway. So today is the day that I need to decide if I want to play in this tournament or not. I really want to be prepared for the #THPMC and I think playing this would help me alot. Right now I am no scratch golfer so it just bothers me to go and play in a tournament where you might shoot in the upper 80's or 90's. But you never know what your going to shoot till you get out there. When I was in high school I played all kinds of tournaments durring the summer, because the coach required we played in them in order to be on the team. But this will be my first stroke play tournament so I am nervous and excited. Going to go out there tonight and atleast get nine and then probably sign up. Just remember I am in the #JourneyToBetter, and I think this will be one large step for me to make.
taz.jpg

Go for it!! There is nothing that truly shows weaknesses in your game or how much you have improved than tournament play. IMO this would help you more than anything presently for your THPMC experience. You will get a better understanding of what you need to work on as well a feeling of pressure which cannot be achieved during regular practice

Here is the #6 hole looking on the Fairway from behing the blue tee's. You wanna try a tight fairway, well come out here and give it a try.
IMG_20140504_140104_419.jpg

How far to carry past the trees.

Go play dude. No negatives that I can see.

Good luck, have fun. You will definitely learn some things about your mental game by playing in this tournament.

~Rock

Good luck man! One shot at a time and have fun!

Well yesterday I hit a perfect 3 wood straight shot. Marked my gps from the tee's and walked to hit and I only it 210 and was still behind the ladies tee's that is probably 20 yards after the valley. So my guess is that I will need to atleast hit it 190+ straight to be ok there.
How far to carry past the trees.

Go play dude. No negatives that I can see.

If you decide to do it good luck man. Lick Creek from the tips is a great test of golf. A somewhat frightening test (to me anyway), but a great test none the less. As for number 6, all you can do is think "slot it down the fairway" and put a positive swing on it. just forget all the negative crap. In fact, as you play this week. Envision the tee shot on #6 on every hole and by the time you get there, you'll have it roped. If I wasn't still working the Noon-9 shift I'd come over and hit a few with you. Good luck whatever you decide.

Thanks Brad, hope all is well with you. Yeah, if I had your kind of game Lick would be a breeze. I just need to do what you said and just think I am playing #6 off of every tee so I can make sure I have a great shot. If I play like I did from 14-18 yesterday I will be putting up a nice score shooting par's and bogeys. I am pretty locked in I am going to get in this tournament. Also #11 holy cow they got the blue tee box like 20-30 yards back. I think it takes like a 240 shot just to get up to the dogleg left. But owell ill be positive and just go out there and kick some @ss.
If you decide to do it good luck man. Lick Creek from the tips is a great test of golf. A somewhat frightening test (to me anyway), but a great test none the less. As for number 6, all you can do is think "slot it down the fairway" and put a positive swing on it. just forget all the negative crap. In fact, as you play this week. Envision the tee shot on #6 on every hole and by the time you get there, you'll have it roped. If I wasn't still working the Noon-9 shift I'd come over and hit a few with you. Good luck whatever you decide.

Play in it!! I know I would for sure!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Oh I am now, I got THP behind which I know I would and I am pumped for this.
Play in it!! I know I would for sure!!!

Heck yea man. I wish there was open stroke play tournaments around here. All I ever here about is Benefit best ball tournaments...I dont mind best ball but the purist in me loves stroke play!

Well come on out to Central Illinois the 17th and 18th of May and you can get in on this LOL..
Heck yea man. I wish there was open stroke play tournaments around here. All I ever here about is Benefit best ball tournaments...I dont mind best ball but the purist in me loves stroke play!

Lol while I do have family up there in Chrisman and Paris. Thays a 12 hour drive for an amatuer tournament lol

HAHA yeah that would be a long drive man, but hey you can't say you weren't invited to it.
Lol while I do have family up there in Chrisman and Paris. Thays a 12 hour drive for an amatuer tournament lol

You saw 2 of my best driving days all of last year. The rest of the year was a nightmare. You just play your game and roll those putts like you did last year and you'll do great. :)

Thanks Brad, hope all is well with you. Yeah, if I had your kind of game Lick would be a breeze...

HAHA yeah that would be a long drive man, but hey you can't say you weren't invited to it.

Lol my first ever Golf Tournament invite... appreciated lol

I say go ahead and play. For my MC prep I have incorporated amateur tournamnets in my area and so far so good. I wanted to put myslef in umcomfortable situations on the golf course and see how I react. Every tournament has been a learning opportunity for me. I have one this week if the weather holds off

Nice man, yeah I want to get that experience again playing on the course and every shot really has to be a great one. Really makes a difference on your game when your in that kind of game. hoping for the best and will be on top of it for sure.
I say go ahead and play. For my MC prep I have incorporated amateur tournamnets in my area and so far so good. I wanted to put myslef in umcomfortable situations on the golf course and see how I react. Every tournament has been a learning opportunity for me. I have one this week if the weather holds off

Go for it, dude. I played in one a few weeks ago--same deal for me--first tourney since high school. I was super nervous and was +7 thru 5 but settled in and shot even the rest of the way. It was a tough course, playing a little longer than what you are looking at, but I am so glad I did it because I know it will help in July. I am signing for up a few more just to get more experience. I hope you sign up, even if it doesn't go as you planned, you will be better for it.

Go for it Man! Great experience and will pay off in spades.

Good luck!

JM

Thanks guys, was going to go out there tonight to get a round in, but have to go to Springfield for my Brother in Laws Bday. Gotta make the wife happy if you can imagine that lol. Will be out there tomorrow with Manlai and play 18 with him and will sign up then.

I I wasn't going to be out of town the weekend before and after, I'd come play along!! Good luck man.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

You've got all the skill needed and a whole forum behind you buddy, have fun and just do your best. I'm pumped for you lol

Go for it Andrew. The more tournament experience you get before the MC will only hep you.

Back