Callaway Big Bertha Driver Review

Well, if you increased the loft, the face angle changes a bit - and sometimes that is all it takes. I demo'd a BB in a 10.5 and had it lofted up and had the same issue.

I did think about that and the next time I get out I will be changing it back to NS setting. I just didn't expect it to be that great of a difference. Also oddly enough I was actually hitting the ball higher when it was NS than +1N. Maybe it's just something mental and I change my swing after the adjustment idk, golf is a funny game.

I think I'm in love.

I think I'm in love.

Nice round, congrats! I can't wait to get mine back out there

I'm falling more and more in love with the big gal! I had one stretch yesterday where I was popping it up (swing flaw) however 80 percent of the time my drives were looking good :bomb:

Josh dude you are playing out of your damn mind! The Bertha was obviously the key to unlocking your game :D

Mine has been more of a grower, but it is quickly growing on me after my lesson. Can't wait to see what it does on the course with my alignment corrected!

Josh dude you are playing out of your damn mind! The Bertha was obviously the key to unlocking your game :D

Mine has been more of a grower, but it is quickly growing on me after my lesson. Can't wait to see what it does on the course with my alignment corrected!

It's been a game changer for sure. Confidence on the tee box is so high right now.

It's been a game changer for sure. Confidence on the tee box is so high right now.

Well said. I used to breathe a sigh of relief on par 3 or layup tee shots. Now I get angry that Bertha has to stay in the bag.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sounds like a solid club. Can anyone compare it to the G20?

I think I'm in love.

Nice man! 75, WOW.

Nice man! 75, WOW.

Thanks bud. Been working my tail off for a few months now, but finding the FW with the numbers I'm getting with Bertha makes it a little easier!

I will have a Bertha in my hands hopefully in time for this weekend from my main man kc720. He has the fubuki and also sent an after market tour green shaft to play around with. I will post thoughts as I spend more time with it in this thread. Pretty excited to give this driver a test drive.

I stuggled with the BB for the first time in my last round. I never hook the ball and I couldn't stop from snap hooking it. The only change I made was playing it +1 instead of neutral standard. Maybe it was just one of those days but it got in my head a little bit. Somewhat a good thing that it's been non stop raining so next time I get out I won't be over thinking it. On a positive I carried a creek from the tips which I had never done before, one of 3 good drives on the day.

Between a fitting and taking a Demo on the course I noticed something similar. My normal shot shape is a fade and found that with the Bertha lofted up that my shot shape was a slight draw. For me this was fantastic since a high draw is about as good as it gets in terms of distance off the tee however if you already had a draw swing then I could see how you may turn some over to the left. The nice thing is the bertha leaves you with two ways to account for shape with the sliding weight and the hosel adjustment so straightening the ball flight out shouldn't be much of an issue.

Hit the BB longest out of all the new drivers this year that I have tried and loved the way it felt and sounded.

BUT i was looking at the numbers and my launch was 13 degrees with ballspin around 3200. Not as concerned with the angle as the ballspin. SS is 102 - 105. The info I have says that the ball spin should be around 2500 for this SS.

What are the lower spin options in shafts than the standard stiff Fubuki? Will these help me drop 750 rpm? Am Ic wrong about the ballspin number?

Last edited:
Between a fitting and taking a Demo on the course I noticed something similar. My normal shot shape is a fade and found that with the Bertha lofted up that my shot shape was a slight draw. For me this was fantastic since a high draw is about as good as it gets in terms of distance off the tee however if you already had a draw swing then I could see how you may turn some over to the left. The nice thing is the bertha leaves you with two ways to account for shape with the sliding weight and the hosel adjustment so straightening the ball flight out shouldn't be much of an issue.

Yep, this has been my only problem. It's my swing's fault of course, but the club does want to go left more than right. I slid the weight all the way to fade and it seems to be working out so far.

Hit the BB longest out of all the new drivers this year that I have tried and loved the way it felt and sounded.

BUT i was looking at the numbers and my launch was 13 degrees with ballspin around 3200. Not as concerned with the angle as the ballspin. SS is 102 - 105. The info I have says that the ball spin should be around 2500 for this SS.

What are the lower spin options in shafts than the standard stiff Fubuki? Will these help me drop 750 rpm? Am Ic wrong about the ballspin number?

I got fitted into the Aldila Tour Green which is a lower spin/launch driver. My swing speed is more in the 110 range and the stock shaft seemed a little soft. The green is no up charge and you should be able to drop the XHot 2 Pro shaft into the BB at any golf shop to test it.

Last edited:
Yep, this has been my only problem. It's my swing's fault of course, but the club does want to go left more than right. I slid the weight all the way to fade and it seems to be working out so far.

I had my weight slide to fade 2 and was still hooking so maybe it was just a real bad swing day for me or i need to go fade 3. Some range time is needed i think.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I'm slowly getting this little fat gal dialed in but dayuuuuuuummmmmmm she is hawt! :in-love::kissing::kissed:

I'm slowly getting this little fat gal dialed in but dayuuuuuuummmmmmm she is hawt! :in-love::kissing::kissed:

Not fat just big boned

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Serious question, I have been in ponder on this driver for a while as I have read along in this thread. I have not had a chance to demo it at a store, nor have I ever seen one to this point. There is an awesome deal from Budget Golf right now for the standard shaft model for $299.96 with free shipping. There are several great offerings this year that I want to try but this price is pulling me in hard. I am coming from last year's X-Hot which I have had for the past 14 months so when considering all of the times I play 27 or 36 and the time I spend at the range it has 200+ rounds on it and I feel it is time to retire it. My question is would I be better off to wait a few weeks until I can get to a store or just pull the trigger and let the chips fall where they may. I hate to lose out on this great deal but pulling the trigger without even hitting it just goes against my grain.

Serious question, I have been in ponder on this driver for a while as I have read along in this thread. I have not had a chance to demo it at a store, nor have I ever seen one to this point. There is an awesome deal from Budget Golf right now for the standard shaft model for $299.96 with free shipping. There are several great offerings this year that I want to try but this price is pulling me in hard. I am coming from last year's X-Hot which I have had for the past 14 months so when considering all of the times I play 27 or 36 and the time I spend at the range it has 200+ rounds on it and I feel it is time to retire it. My question is would I be better off to wait a few weeks until I can get to a store or just pull the trigger and let the chips fall where they may. I hate to lose out on this great deal but pulling the trigger without even hitting it just goes against my grain.

Dawg you come up and hit mine any time buddy?. Personally I would go ahead and pull the trigger. It's the best driver I have even personally gamed. No joke!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holy frijole, only $299.96! Mighty tempting and Budget Golf is just a little over 100 miles away. If I order tonight or in the morning, it would be here Thursday...
You guys are killing me, I won't be able to sleep tonight thinking about this.
I didn't hit the BB as well at Sunday's demo day as I did two weeks ago, actually hit the X2 hot and G25 better, but I didn't fiddle with the settings as much. I think the first time I hit it, the slider weight was a couple of notches to the draw side and I had the 10.5* lofted to 11.5* and N setting. I tried 10.5 and 11.5 with everything neutral Sunday. The BB is still in the running with the other two. I got to go to the range shop that has demos of both in the morning, might even try the 13.5 if they have a demo. I'm so ashamed that I didn't try this Sunday. Anyway, pondering away.

Holy frijole, only $299.96! Mighty tempting and Budget Golf is just a little over 100 miles away. If I order tonight or in the morning, it would be here Thursday...
You guys are killing me, I won't be able to sleep tonight thinking about this.
I didn't hit the BB as well at Sunday's demo day as I did two weeks ago, actually hit the X2 hot and G25 better, but I didn't fiddle with the settings as much. I think the first time I hit it, the slider weight was a couple of notches to the draw side and I had the 10.5* lofted to 11.5* and N setting. I tried 10.5 and 11.5 with everything neutral Sunday. The BB is still in the running with the other two. I got to go to the range shop that has demos of both in the morning, might even try the 13.5 if they have a demo. I'm so ashamed that I didn't try this Sunday. Anyway, pondering away.
We have until next Monday night to pull the trigger, I need to get up and try Ole Gray's between now and then.

Played 9 last night and hit 6 of 7 fairways. The one fairway I missed was due to me catching the ball so far out on the toe that I could feel the shaft twist in my hands. The ball still rolled out to a total distance of 175 catching it that far out on the toe. I was in a different fairway, but the ball was headed in the right direction.

Dawg you come up and hit mine any time buddy��. Personally I would go ahead and pull the trigger. It's the best driver I have even personally gamed. No joke!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I decided to do it, I can always sell it on the bay for $275 if it doesn't work out for me. I need to get up there soon.

I decided to do it, I can always sell it on the bay for $275 if it doesn't work out for me. I need to get up there soon.

As accurate as you were with the XH, I think you'll be able to call your shots with the Big Bertha. She's the straightest driver I've ever hit. I'd be shocked if you didn't gain a few yards as well.

Back