Wilson Staff FG-Tour M3 Irons - THP Preview

I mentioned distances for the 8i and 7i earlier but they again today were a consistent 155 and 165 respectively and the gaps have continued to be 10 yards which is always nice to see. They are, for me (swings vary, everyone will see different results) 1/2 club shorter than the i25's and a full club shorter than the SpeedBlades, they are also 1/2 longer than the TM CB's (again, for me). They aren't built to be distance irons though, so they are exactly where I expected them to be coming in all things being equal.

As for comparing them to the EZ Forged, those were just not at all a great or long iron set in my opinion. Something with the launch was very off with them IMO.

Thanks man, just trying to get on the same page.

Do you think bag chatter would damage the finish or does it seem more durable than that.

Last edited:
Thanks man, just trying to get on the same page.

Do you think bag chatter would damage the finish or does it seem more durable than that.

So far so good with me, and I'm a walker. The finish is holding up really well, starting to finally see a slight bit of fading on the leading edge of the irons but no chatter. Finish fading is inevitable, its just nice to see its not instant.

Also, fun fact on these I didn't realize until now, they are actually LONGER in build than the SpeedBlades from TM (about 1/4" on most clubs, varies a little) and 1/2" longer than the i25's are.

VERY interesting.

I actually had another observation I wanted to touch on some more from yesterday and its in the overall profile of the club.

The M3 is not what I expected to be honest there, by that I mean I expected some FG Tour tiny topline practically no offset small soled demand, instead they are an amazingly well balanced iron design. In fact, its the most balance design I have seen out of W/S in irons if I'm being totally honest. The soles are enough to appeal to players on both sides of the turf interaction page and from the top the finish, topline, and offset all blend with each-other well enough to also appease most from either side of the players/GI spectrum. They are a blend IMO, they are an example of what we are seeing more of, that set that doesn't necessarily abide by the ideology of having to be specifically players or specifically GI. Its nice to see.

Everything you are saying about these makes me want them. BAD. A 115g shaft is pretty much the sweet spot for my, and I'd like an iron that gives me good feel and "players" look (read: smallish head) while still providing solid forgiveness. And all at an MSRP that can't be beat out there for an iron of this type. These are quickly jumping to the top of my must hit list.

Everything you are saying about these makes me want them. BAD. A 115g shaft is pretty much the sweet spot for my, and I'd like an iron that gives me good feel and "players" look (read: smallish head) while still providing solid forgiveness. And all at an MSRP that can't be beat out there for an iron of this type. These are quickly jumping to the top of my must hit list.

Coming from the CMB's, I think you'd enjoy trying them. They're definitely not packed with forgiveness like the C100's, D100's, or other GI/SGI irons, but there is some in there.

Great thoughts James and these are stunning looking clubs. Wish more irons were offered in black PVD finishes.

Coming from the CMB's, I think you'd enjoy trying them. They're definitely not packed with forgiveness like the C100's, D100's, or other GI/SGI irons, but there is some in there.

Yeah, that sounds good to me. I don't need a TON of help, but I know I could use some more in the 5 and 6 irons than the CMB's provide.

That being said, I could game the C-100's in a hot minute as well, particularly the long irons. W/S is bringing it with the irons this year.

Thanks for answering all the question so far James.

It really is intrersting about the length but I think a fitting is a must for a set of irons.

I haven't seen a set of clubs that I have liked as much as these with the exception of the V2's and Apex pro's. I must find these to try with a set of Steelfiber's ohh the pondering is on.

The FG Tour M3 with steelfiber is heaven. A great combo. Been gaming 5-GW for several months.

Demo report:

The M3s are serious. Awesome clubs. But they also had a box of shafts to try.
I was hitting a M3 7i shafted with a C-Taper Lite stiff and must have put 15 of 20 shots on the green out on the range. (playing to about 160)
Dead straight, nice flight, felt smooth.
The DG S300 was also very nice. I wanted to try it with graphite, but some dude was hogging the only one they had and I was really too tired from hitting like 100 balls, anyway.

I grabbed the 4 iron from the bag and tee'd one up. Usually, if I can hit the 4 iron of a set, it tells me what I can expect from the rest of the setup. As soon as the ball left the tee, I was saying things out loud that shouldn't have been said with a couple kids present. It was one of the nicest, prettiest, 4i shots I think I've ever hit. I kept doing it, for about 10 shots, and I couldn't hit one anything but mid-high and dead straight.
I figured I better hit some off the turf and found the same to be true from there, as well. One of the easiest 4i's I've ever hit. Misses were OK and the results were very much acceptable.
I really thought they were similar to the CB3 lineup, but a bit improved upon.

I have to be dead honest here. For the money, dollar-to-dollar, pound-for-pound, as they say, I'd put them up against about anything else I've ever hit.

Beautiful looking irons IMO. Makes me want to try them out

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Back