Worst form of my life

Dave9600

Reaction score
Handicap
11 ish
Just got back from shooting a 106, 24 over my handicap!! And i think im now officially in the worst form of my life. I'm usually fairly consistent but today started with 5 parsvand then 5 10's, which i never usually do. As much as i'd love to say it was a one off, i think in the last 3 weeks out of maybe 10 rounds, i have had 1 which i would say was acceptable.

All the trouble started when i had my first club fitting. I was told how unsuitable what i was using was for my game and i was very happy with what i ordered (basically most of my clubs are changing). The downside is that whilst i wait for my new clubs, ive been thinking about what the pro i was fit with was saying, and ive been trying to compensate for this in my swing with my old clubs and its all gone to pot :(

anyone else had a similar experience? and is it best to play through it or leave off for another 2 weeks or so until new clubs are here?
thanks

Try to get back to the basics, grip, alignment, posture, tempo, and remember that you got to an 11 index playing with these clubs. I had a very bad stretch one spring and hung up the clubs for 10 days and then started working on the range on all the basics. Soon I was back playing well.

Try to get back to the basics, grip, alignment, posture, tempo, and remember that you got to an 11 index playing with these clubs. I had a very bad stretch one spring and hung up the clubs for 10 days and then started working on the range on all the basics. Soon I was back playing well.

Thanks for the reply, yeah i think thats the sensible thing to do lay off it for abit then a few range sessions working on the basics like you say. It's hard to do though, i want to get back out there and go low! :(

Simplify golf. Basic movements. Basic thoughts. Otherwise, just laugh it off. No reason to have it ruin your weekend

Just got back from shooting a 106, 24 over my handicap!! And i think im now officially in the worst form of my life. I'm usually fairly consistent but today started with 5 parsvand then 5 10's, which i never usually do. As much as i'd love to say it was a one off, i think in the last 3 weeks out of maybe 10 rounds, i have had 1 which i would say was acceptable.

All the trouble started when i had my first club fitting. I was told how unsuitable what i was using was for my game and i was very happy with what i ordered (basically most of my clubs are changing). The downside is that whilst i wait for my new clubs, ive been thinking about what the pro i was fit with was saying, and ive been trying to compensate for this in my swing with my old clubs and its all gone to pot :(

anyone else had a similar experience? and is it best to play through it or leave off for another 2 weeks or so until new clubs are here?
thanks
I don't play golf to be frustrated, I play to have fun. If it is not fun right now just spend your golf time over the next 2 week honing your short game and putting. That will pay huge dividends when the new sticks arrive.

Had a round a few weeks ago, was sitting 2 over 25, thru 6 holes. However, I had scrambled almost every hole and had 7 official putts thru those 6 holes, not including a 40 footer from just off a green. Not being a good putter, it all came apart on #7. I needed 71 strokes over the next 12 holes to finish at 96, just atrocious.

Sometimes things just get off and its tough to get back.

Exactly. Every time I find myself having issues, it comes down to doing something wrong with the fundamentals. Maybe spend a session at the range to fine tune your grip, posture and alignment. You will be back in no time.

My friend, Pull up a stump and let Uncle Squid tell you a story, About 10 years ago I went to Myrtle Beach S.C. with My wife and My golfing partner and his wife...I played 3 rounds, 74, 80 and 75..For me to do that on 3 different unfamiliar courses was what I would consider stellar golf.
When we came back I began practicing for an upcoming 2 man Best ball tourney, While I was hitting beautiful shots some guy I have never seen before or since watched me and said " You really strike the ball well ....But you have a loop in your swing "
Well needless to say I spent the next 2 weeks trying to correct it.
When I played in that tournament I thought my Partner was going to shoot me.....Took me 6 months to get my swing back.
Callaway has a wonderful commercial in which you hear Arnold Palmer say " Swing your swing.....I did ".
The moral is ....If you are happy with your swing and clubs...WHO CARES what anyone thinks.
Now I wish i could find that guy that got in my head and Tee off on his ARSE with my Foot iron.

Last edited:

Great advice. I agree. Just go very simple: grip, alignment, posture, and RHYTHM. Just practice these things, and you'll be fine even through your inconsistent period.

Also, it may be time to look up some video instructors that you connect with and take a look at what they have to say, since you're kind of an "empty cup" right now and really open to hearing something that helps you.

, ive been thinking about what the pro i was fit with was saying, and ive been trying to compensate for this in my swing with my old clubs and its all gone to pot :(

I would suggest you may have answered your own question with the above. Perhaps forget what he said, clear the head and just play as you always did. and when the new sticks come in do the same.
I hope you get it all back. I'm sure you will.

Thanks for the replies guys, sorry i took a while to reply, been working all day and with being in the uk, you all seem to post very late at night!

Yeah i was thinking about a few things today and i think like squid said, i need to swing my swing. i know its not perfect and im not going to become a great golfer with it, but it serves me pretty well and i can get around the course alright.

Going up to the range to work on basics, most importantly tempo and i look forward to getting my game back! :)

I'll keep you posted on how it goes, fingers crossed!

I've been there recently. It'll break and get better - I had a pro check out my swing and he pointed out a couple bad habits I'd picked up. I finally feel like myself again. My advice - don't try to be perfect and fix it all at once. Just work on one or two things at a time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know my problem is usually tempo and my GPA.

I'll start a string of bad shots and have to tell myself...slow down, get back on tempo....let the club dictate my speed. I get all excited after a good shot sometimes and start to forget the basics

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I always hit a few rough stretches throughout the season. A couple weeks ago I played a round with some friends at a nice local city course. Birdied the 1st 2 holes, made another birdie on 6, hit 7 of 9 greens with my only mistake being a 3 putt bogey on the way to a 2 under 33 on the front... and then it was gone. I ended up with an 82. I'll let you do the math. Worst blowup of my life. Some days you have it and some days you don't. Like a few others said, clear your head and do what feels right. Hit the range and go back to basics.

Everybody has a bad day just don't take it to hard get back to the basics try not to over think it

Said i'd keep you posted on how things are going, so here goes.

Haven't had time to think about golf over the last few days as I've been working, but decided when I finished work today I'd go for a relaxed round, just taking irons, hybrid, wedges and putter.

Struggled again at first but on about the 3rd I realised I was teeing the hybrid up too high, after that i hit pretty much every fairway. I also accepted that my striking wasn't at its best at the minute, so decided to just play the percentage shots and really focus on course management.

Result was really positive, ended up shooting an 84 after not a great start and had a lot of par putts lip out, leaving me with tap ins for bogey.

Think this is the way i'm going to play for now at least, as I didn't really miss my Driver and 3 wood. I can get my hybrid out there at 220 so why bother taking the risk for extra yards? Even on the long par 5, it was hybrid, 5 iron, wedge and a silly 3 putt for bogey.

Anyway, its amazing what a good round does for the confidence!

Glad to hear you were able to have some fun and had the foresight to improve through course management

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

Like everyone has said, shake it off, everyone has spells like this. Hell, I went through about a 5 hole stretch last weekend at The King where I literally could not hit anything straight. Anything. Not even a wedge. Everything was shanked or pulled. But I slept on it and got on the range the next morning and was hitting it fine again, with the exception of driver and FW's, which I recently figured out via a lesson was an alignment issue.

So don't sweat it, maybe take a few days off, and then get back to basics. That's what I'm doing.

I wouldn't get too worked up about it, especially if you know it's a mental thing and most likely because of your fitting. If you are happy with the new clubs that are coming your way, then just play to maintain your practice and then you'll be fine with the new clubs.

Usually once a month I play as if I've never swung a club before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a round a few weeks ago, was sitting 2 over 25, thru 6 holes. However, I had scrambled almost every hole and had 7 official putts thru those 6 holes, not including a 40 footer from just off a green. Not being a good putter, it all came apart on #7. I needed 71 strokes over the next 12 holes to finish at 96, just atrocious.

Sometimes things just get off and its tough to get back.

All a matter of perspective. If I shot a 96, I'd have a boner... or at least be pretty happy for a few hours. :bananadance:

Laugh, it's good for ya!

Being also in the uk, I'm just hoping the weather eventually brightens up enough to play again. But hope you get back to enjoying it soon...

Back