• Tiger

Votes: 48 49.0%
  • Jack

Votes: 50 51.0%

• Total voters
And if tiger knew how to delete text messages he would be at 26

hahaha...that made me crack up

Or maybe if he had quit eating at Perkins

So Padraig Harrington is a better golfer than Johnny Miller?

Excellent point! Miller's final round of 63 in the final round of 63 to win in 1973 at Oakmont was probably one of the greatest final rounds of all time.

I voted for Jack as I think his competition was much better. Others may say the fields are deeper now, but I think that just means there is not as many great players.

I did some quick research on the top 60 all time PGA wins by player and by era Jack or Tiger. These are the numbers I found.

name wins majors
Jacks era
Palmer 62 7
Casper 51 3
watson 39 8
Littler 29 1
trevino 29 6
miller 25 2
Player 24 9
floyd 22 4
wadkins 21 1
irwin 20 3
crenshaw 19 2
hubert green 19 2
kite 19 1
strange 17 2
weiskopf 16 1

Total wins 390 Total Majors 52

Tigers era
Phil 42 5
vijay 34 3
love iii 20 1
els 19 4
furyk 16 1
couples 15 1
pavin 15 1

Total wins 161. Total majors 17

Whats all this mean...absolutely nothing.

Tiger or Jack?

How is Tom Kite in Jack's era?! His major was won in the 90s.

Also. How do all 7 of Arnie's majors count?

I looked only at overlapping years played and tried to make sure that each player played at least 3 years with the other. I didn't say this was science and just brought it up as a discussion point. All it shows is that during a time period when jack played the guys he played against during that time frame won a lot more in their careers than the top guys that tiger is playing against. It doesn't account for Overseas wins only PGA. And like I said it really doesn't mean a thing.

I looked only at overlapping years played and tried to make sure that each player played at least 3 years with the other. I didn't say this was science and just brought it up as a discussion point. All it shows is that during a time period when jack played the guys he played against during that time frame won a lot more in their careers than the top guys that tiger is playing against. It doesn't account for Overseas wins only PGA. And like I said it really doesn't mean a thing.

By that measure, Tom Watson needs to be on Tiger's side as well

It's funny, I am not even sure what I am arguing for...

I voted for Jack in the poll. My contention was the strength of the fields. I don't think Jack played against better fields. The majors are huge measuring sticks. But even Augusta now isn't the Augusta that Jack won on.

Augusta also went through some changes during the 23 span of years jack won. Was not exactly the same course for all his victories and even with that yet still found the victory in 86 at age 46. But no one can ever answer for certain how well (or not) a young Jack in his prime would have done if we were able to plug him in to todays augusta, todays times and todays game in general. We also will not ever know how well (or not) Tiger would do if he was plugged in to Jacks era. The same can be said for any of the greats.

Jack was known to be the first to keep course charts and yardage logs Just for those questioning what influence on the sport Jack had. A true stickler for game management and sacrificing capable yardage for the better play. Many say he was the best game manager ever. It certainly did change the way golfers planned for a given hole after him. People learned from that or they wouldn't ever keep logs and carts.
But now it seems like the mindset is just hit it a mile because you can and then go get it. And they are making the game more and more that way and although its another subject it has lost imo some of its character. Its like you don't have to be great, you just have to be great long. But anyway I wonder since jack was long anyway when he wanted to be just how he would have been in todays game and mindset. He was already long and precise so why wouldn't he have fit in just perfectly. add in all the tech and how can anyone assume he wouldn't have been on top anyway. in fact I would ask if there are many palyers today who are on top due to being long vs more precise would have done so well back then. That might actually tilt in Jacks favor. No?

Augusta also went through some changes during the 23 span of years jack won. Was not exactly the same course for all his victories and even with that yet still found the victory in 86 at age 46. But no one can ever answer for certain how well (or not) a young Jack in his prime would have done if we were able to plug him in to todays augusta, todays times and todays game in general. We also will not ever know how well (or not) Tiger would do if he was plugged in to Jacks era. The same can be said for any of the greats.

Jack was known to be the first to keep course charts and yardage logs Just for those questioning what influence on the sport Jack had. A true stickler for game management and sacrificing capable yardage for the better play. Many say he was the best game manager ever. It certainly did change the way golfers planned for a given hole after him. People learned from that or they wouldn't ever keep logs and carts.
But now it seems like the mindset is just hit it a mile because you can and then go get it. And they are making the game more and more that way and although its another subject it has lost imo some of its character. Its like you don't have to be great, you just have to be great long. But anyway I wonder since jack was long anyway when he wanted to be just how he would have been in todays game and mindset. He was already long and precise so why wouldn't he have fit in just perfectly. add in all the tech and how can anyone assume he wouldn't have been on top anyway. in fact I would ask if there are many palyers today who are on top due to being long vs more precise would have done so well back then. That might actually tilt in Jacks favor. No?

Jack was not the first to start keeping yardages and walking off courses. Jack himself gives full credit to Dean Beman for that.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

By that measure, Tom Watson needs to be on Tiger's side as well

Watson and Jack were born in the same decade. Watson's and Jack's careers indeed overlapped and Watson was 46 and past his prime when Tiger joined the tour in 1996. Watson turned pro in 1971 and won a major before Tiger was born. Nicklaus won 10 of his majors after Watson turned pro and 6 of his majors after Watson won his first major.

Last edited:
Jack was not the first to start keeping yardages and walking off courses. Jack himself gives full credit to Dean Beman for that.

Its a bit of small story that is not an exact thing and he didn't invent the idea but he was credited for being the first to use one on tour and soon more would follow suit. Point is it showed his "more than just simple way" of planning for the given holes and how important and part of the game it more became.

Its a bit of small story that is not an exact thing and he didn't invent the idea but he was credited for being the first to use one on tour and soon more would follow suit. Point is it showed his "more than just simple way" of planning for the given holes and how important and part of the game it more became.

That's like saying Henry Ford should be credited for the automobile.

Still not sure what it has to do with prime vs prime though.

That's like saying Henry Ford should be credited for the automobile.

Still not sure what it has to do with prime vs prime though.

not much really just meant to talk a little about Jacks philosophy towards how he played and I wonder perhaps how much if any the mindset and game planning may have changed today. But like any of the other factors about the differences in the times and the game itself when people compare the two players its all kind of meaningless isn't it.

Back