Wilson Staff D100 ES Hybrid/Iron Set Review Thread

I guess I don't think the topline is all that crazy. Not for a SGI iron that is. They're big no doubt, but there are bigger ones out there.

What continues to really strike me is how crazy light these things are. It's a huge difference in both total weight and swing weight compared to what I'm playing now. A few swings and I can get over it, but I don't really love it.

I've done side by side testing both on the launch monitor and at the range and distances are basically identical to both the AP1 and a Nike VRS Forged I've been toying around with. Consistency in contact is poorer with the D100 for some reason. I just keep missing heavy? I don't get it, but I'll chalk it up to coincidence.

Definitely forgiving. Nothing really shocking there based on size and weighting.

Pretty nice feeling club at impact. I know some people didn't love the Di11's feel, but I think this is pretty good when you catch the center.

The hybrids are going to get more work this week, so stay tuned.

Wanted to test a few things specifically with these tonight and was able to get that done.

First of all, I wanted to see how the set, super big sole/lightweight graphite shaft and all, could handle some knockdowns and other shorter shots. That was done with both the PW and 8 iron, mostly the PW at a 75 yard and 110 yard flag. You can hit them low if you want. Quite easily in fact.

At the same time, full swings with both were just launching the ball way up there. Awesomely high balls that held up surprisingly well in a pretty hefty crosswind. Really fun to see that. Distance is very good, but I'll stand by what I've said from both earlier outdoor testing and the range - no more distance over my gamer set. Control issues here and there - not to say that I don't have those with every club, but side by side testing showed more misses (exclusively to the left) were seen with the 100 ES set than my gamer irons.

They are crazy light in hand. I know that doesn't matter to some, really matters to others. I'm not stating that as positive or negative, but rather as fact. They feel light both in total weight and in swingweight. Feel at impact is very nice - much nice than one might expect from a value priced SGI set. I think people will be pleasantly surprised there. I assume the shaft plays some part in that.

Now, to the surprise of the evening...

The 6 (yes SIX) hybrid. I'll admit to really not liking my last couple attempts with the hybrids, but up until tonight I hadn't done anything with the 6h. I popped it in the tester bag for tonight and I'm glad I did.

Bluntly stated, it's not pretty. It's very large. Sort of oddly shaped. Sort of sets up weird to the ball as well.

CameraZOOM-20140508200233708-L.jpg

It fires rockets though. WOW! Such great height and the distance was definitely impressive (in a consistent way). Very forgiving both low and across the face. So easy to hit too. Not sure what the difference was tonight vs. previous nights - whether it was the surface I was on (more lush at this place), the slightly smaller head (believe it or not), or the added loft, but it was pretty awesome.

That's it for now. They'll get put to use in a round this weekend and we'll get this written up.

That shape is interesting indeed Hawkster. You think it has a lot to do with the shaft not resting ahead of the face like many of a similar hybrid design?

Have you tried these out of thick rough yet? I find myself in that situation quite often.

~Don't practice til you get it right, Practice til you can't get it wrong~

That shape is interesting indeed Hawkster. You think it has a lot to do with the shaft not resting ahead of the face like many of a similar hybrid design?

A couple things I think. First of all, it's very rounded. Second, the way the black and the steel come together on the crown is a little different. Take the j40 as an example of another with the contrasting look and how it's done.

98-105478_3_.jpg

In ways, it almost makes the heel appear to protrude a bit I guess? It did cause a few second thoughts at address as to whether I had my face lined up correctly. Regardless though, very good performance.

Have you tried these out of thick rough yet? I find myself in that situation quite often.

Irons or hybrids?

I've hit the irons out of rough just fine. As well as any other GI iron I guess.

Mostly irons. When in the rough I usually lay up and try to get in a good position for the next shot.

Mostly irons. When in the rough I usually lay up and try to get in a good position for the next shot.

Honestly dude, if I'm in nasty rough and not close enough to hit a lofted club (8 iron or above), I'm probably laying up anyway whether I want to or not.

Back