Using clubs too soon after regipping? Any risk?

The_PharmASSIST

Medicinal Mulligans
Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guys,

I just had all my clubs re-gripped with Lamkin Crosslines (love them by the way) by my local range. They said that the clubs had been sitting about an hour or so after they finished the installation before I picked them up. I then decided to hit some balls on the range with them.

After I finished up I noticed some solvent leaking out of the top hole in the grips that hadn't dried yet. I don't think I caused any problems by using them, the end cap was slightly twisted on one which I was able to move back into place. The end-caps are all properly seated.

While none of the grips appeared to move off the shaft, does my using them increase the chance that the adhesive will fail or move later on?

Thanks for the help!

I've done it before and never noticed any long term issues. Probably not advised though.

Used my driver about 90 minutes of regripping it. Everything stayed intact, the only issue I saw was the grip alignment markers were slightly off, but that's not a big deal since I use the club face for alignment.

Used my driver about 90 minutes of regripping it. Everything stayed intact, the only issue I saw was the grip alignment markers were slightly off, but that's not a big deal since I use the club face for alignment.

Awesome thats what I was hoping for. I use the club face for alignment as well so it's not a huge deal if its off slightly, I'm just more concerned about the grips staying on the club lol

I wouldn't worry about it. I have taken them out in the yard 30 minutes after for some full swings and have never had an issue.... I usually try and give them at least 2 hours if I can wait.

I like to make sure that I have 24 hours between re-gripping and hitting full shots just to avoid any possible problems. If I had to use clubs before letting them dry I would check frequently that the grips had not shifted.

Depends on the time of the year in the summer when it is hot and dry i will use them a couple hr after griping but in the winter i try to wait 24hrs

usually an hour is good on glued grips. Like many of the THP'ers I have gone to full Air based system and my wait time is 10 seconds :)

Before I started using air, I would let them set for at least 3 hours, I really don't know if I really needed to wait that long but never had a problem after the 3 hour set.

I've had customers use the clubs I've regripped for them with in an hour. There shouldn't be any issue except maybe a little glue coming out of the hole in the butt of the club, maybe. Worse case, the grip might slide a little, be it off or twist, but I've never had one come off before. So, you should be fine.

Never had any issues other than the grip twisting a bit. But you can fix that after the round with an air compressor.

Twisting will be the issue. Cant see them coming off

I've seen a member at the country club I used to work at take their driver out to the range about 10 minutes after it got re-gripped. We told him that he shouldn't use it for at least an hour. Long-story short he used it right when he got down to the range and with it still being wet, took a swing and had his driver go flying into the driving range leaving him holding his new grip. Was extremely funny.

I give all of mine 24 hours.

Air is great -- but tricky to align just right. I use it for removal, but don't like to apply with air.

I use the old timey tape and naptha solvents, not the newer specialty solvents. The old timey afixes in seconds. If you don't hurry and get that sucker on and aligned right after you wet it, you may run out of time. The new style solvents and tape are slower to set. Sounds like that's what they used. 2 hours should have been PLENTY. I've played mine 1/2 hour later and they were stuck solid. Naptha evaporates very quickly.

Thanks for all the input guys! The clubs seem fine today. The only thing is I wonder if they used too much of a slow drying solvent. There is still a drop here or there leaking out of the top of the hole in the grip on a couple of them. Mildly annoying but not really an issue.

My grips seem to be good to go after half hour or so. I build my grips up a bit and they usually dont want to move at all right after I get done haha but I'll allow a bit of time just in case

Thanks for all the input guys! The clubs seem fine today. The only thing is I wonder if they used too much of a slow drying solvent. There is still a drop here or there leaking out of the top of the hole in the grip on a couple of them. Mildly annoying but not really an issue.

Yep, that's that crappy new stuff. Supposed to be less toxic. Naptha is bad and you want to keep it away from the tots and not drink it, but it's no worse than gasoline. Go old school in the future.

Yep, that's that crappy new stuff. Supposed to be less toxic. Naptha is bad and you want to keep it away from the tots and not drink it, but it's no worse than gasoline. Go old school in the future.

Yea I kind of figured. It doesn't seem to be any worse off other than it seems to be taking forever to completely dry...

As long as you use round and not ribbed grips, a little twisting is no big deal and will not impact performance. May just look a little cock-eyed. You can usually twist them back into line if not too far off.

I"ve done it after a couple hours of drying without anything noticeable.

Back