High lofted and forgiving drivers

wluker17

Reaction score
Handicap
My dad is, who is 71, is looking for a new driver. He is coming to visit next weekend and we are going to go try out some new drivers then. He plays a Nike sumo something from like 8 years ago that has 12° of loft and a senior flex shaft. He is usually more of a low ball hitter off the tee so we are looking at some of the higher lofted drivers with light/senior flex shafts. I don't really know what his swing speed or other numbers are but I've seen him on the course enough to have a good idea of what might work for him. He was wanting to try out the Big Bertha and I was thinking the X2 Hot, G25, last year's Razr Fit Xtreme, and the Bio Cell.

Anyone have any other suggestions or club/shaft combos for my dad to try?

11.5° X Hot from last year is a good one.

Cleveland Altitude is nice.

So far it's been forgiving for me, and it's real light so he might gains some swing speed back.

I think it looks amazing to.

~Don't practice til you get it right, Practice til you can't get it wrong~

If there is one of those around to try out, I'll definitely suggest he try it too.

If there is one of those around to try out, I'll definitely suggest he try it too.

Having had both the Xtreme and the XHot, it would likely be a much better option for a low-baller.

Amp Cell with the stock shaft set to 11.5° is a good option, IMO. Very forgiving, and the stock shaft promotes a high launch in my experience.

Cleveland Altitude is nice.

So far it's been forgiving for me, and it's real light so he might gains some swing speed back.

I think it looks amazing to.
The recent lighter weight Cleveland drivers are solid options.

Seems to me that the SLDR-s should be right up his alley. Low ball hitter with an already 12* head? Jack up that loft!

Having had both the Xtreme and the XHot, it would likely be a much better option for a low-baller.
I agree, but the RFX does come in a 13° option I think and with a little more adjustability. I mean we are going to find what is working best for him overall.

Second that, very forgiving and can get the ball up in the air.

Seems to me that the SLDR-s should be right up his alley. Low ball hitter with an already 12* head? Jack up that loft!
We'll probably try the SLDR especially since it comes in a 14° head too. I've just heard varying reports on it's forgiveness.

We'll probably try the SLDR especially since it comes in a 14° head too. I've just heard varying reports on it's forgiveness.

It's a tough one to put your finger on. Amazing when you catch it on the screws but, not so amazing when you don't. Most here will say that it's the least forgiving driver TMaG has made, while other rave about it. I've hit the 430 lofted up to 13 and hammered the ball, but didn't have a good experience with the 460. The Bio Cell is a tank IMO. High launching for sure with the stock shaft. I had a bit too much spin with it though. My dad has the Big Bertha in the senior flex and LOVES IT. He's 73 and has a prosthetic leg and gets it out there 200 with little effort.

I felt that I was able to get away with a lot using the original RBZ. The Xhot and RFX are pretty solid. You may want to take a look at the Optiforce 460 too. It wasn't my cup of tea but, it got the ball up and out.

There are so many driver options from the last two years that you can find something that will fit into his range. And you can't go wrong asking around here for ideas

For me the X2hot and the G25 were some of the most forgiving drivers i have hit in a while very nice head just a little loud

Last years AMP Cell. Set it to 11.5 and let if fly.

The Ping G25 is also a solid option very high launching, so high I had to loft down. Very sturdy solid driver and very long might be an option to try IMO.

Bertha al the way. I have the 13.5 degree head that can be increased all the way up to 15.5. The thing is very forgiving and a fairway finder

Definitely agree with last year's XHot. Very forgiving.

The Ping G25 is also a solid option very high launching, so high I had to loft down. Very sturdy solid driver and very long might be an option to try IMO.
That definitely on the list.

Bertha al the way. I have the 13.5 degree head that can be increased all the way up to 15.5. The thing is very forgiving and a fairway finder
Bertha is probably the early favorite.

My dad is 90 and games an Amp Cell set to 12* with a senior flex shaft which he hits about 130 yards, and that's with a half swing due to loss of flexibility. I always crack up when he says he hits it too high and wants to lower the loft. I guess 15 feet seems high to him now. Then he lowers the loft and can't hit it 100 yards. We go through this on a weekly basis.

I agree with this, especially the high launch comment
Amp Cell with the stock shaft set to 11.5° is a good option, IMO. Very forgiving, and the stock shaft promotes a high launch in my experience.

But disagree with this - the SLDR's are reportedly not very forgiving, seems like that might not be the best choice for your dad's demographic.

Also, I still find the R1 to be very forgiving. 12* with the FujikuraFuel shaft promotes a high launch.

I'd definitely go with the G25 as well. Demo'd the club for a round while my driver was getting re-gripped. Really easy to get the ball in the air, especially when adjusted properly. Definitely an expensive club, but you get what you pay for... If you're lucky.

But won't the "forward COG" be less forgiving?

Nailed it. Not nearly as forgiving as other high lofted options, we have seen it time and again.

I'll throw another cheap option out...
Titleist 907D1. I have one that says 9.5*....but a fitter measured it at 13.5. This club has the reputation of having excessive or poorly measured loft.

It is a 460 and a nearly "triangle design"; used I've seen them for $40......just a thought

Back