Taylormade Tour Preferred CB Iron Review Thread

I still don't buy that, but that's just my experience.

I will say this, compared to my previous irons, the VR Pro Combos, I haven't lost yards and have gained forgiveness.

I want to see a picture of the airbrushing, because it sounds awesome. They certainly are not buttery soft, only Mizuno irons have that characteristic. TM was pretty open about having distance irons that don't feel good.

Steel gray to match the faces, just over the blue zig zag portions, with a clear coat. I left the corner that says Speedblades alone. Not all that great it'll still come off. I also painted my RBZ Stage 2 fairway crowns black. I can't stand that art deco zigzag crap, but love the clubs. I tried the vinyl crown covers first, didn't like them.

After reading everyone else's thoughts I feel like I am the only one who thinks they found a great fit with the CB. While I wouldn't complain about another 5 yards I am liking everything else about these. That said I would certainly be intrigued to see how a KBS tour/SLDR combo plays.

After reading everyone else's thoughts I feel like I am the only one who thinks they found a great fit with the CB. While I wouldn't complain about another 5 yards I am liking everything else about these. That said I would certainly be intrigued to see how a KBS tour/SLDR combo plays.

I'm liking them so far. Bit I would like it even more if I could get through a round without the shanks. #NotTheClubSFault :)

I think its coming off as being more negative than its intended. I know my take on it is still that they are NOT bad irons, but they also don't stand out anywhere. They're solid enough all around, but they just can't crack the big 5 for many in terms of the benefits there are out there in other sets. Doesn't make them bad irons, and as with any club, they most definitely will fit SOMEONE well and be the best for them, even if they aren't for others.

I think its coming off as being more negative than its intended. I know my take on it is still that they are NOT bad irons, but they also don't stand out anywhere. They're solid enough all around, but they just can't crack the big 5 for many in terms of the benefits there are out there in other sets. Doesn't make them bad irons, and as with any club, they most definitely will fit SOMEONE well and be the best for them, even if they aren't for others.

They aren't a bad set, but for me there are better alternatives out there, esp within TaylorMades current lineup. I played them last night, and hit them fine. But for my game there are better options out there.

They aren't a bad set, but for me there are better alternatives out there, esp within TaylorMades current lineup. I played them last night, and hit them fine. But for my game there are better options out there.

Which I agree with entirely. But I think our critiques are being construed as them being bad irons and we both know that isn't the case. I'm like you, there are just better all around options for what I want/need.

Taylormade Tour Preferred CB Iron Review Thread

For what it's worth. I didn't think you guys were knocking them or being negative.

Your thoughts were a lot like mine on the Roketbladez.

I was a tester (another site) they didn't work for me as well as some others. But I played and talked with some that loved them.

These days I doubt there are any "bad" irons out by any major OEM.

Just some fit people differently. In a way a lot like shoes or clothes.

For what it's worth. I didn't think you guys were knocking them or being negative.

I was a tester (another site) they didn't work for me as well as some others. But I played and talked with some that loved them.

Just some fit people differently. In a way a lot like shoes or clothes.[
/QUOTE]

Bingo dude!

There's definitely something for everybody. I just got rid of my CBs because in the end they weren't right for me. But I think I have found something.....but I've also said that at least 4 times this year :act-up:

nope. Every OEM is making good stuff nowadays. It's just finding what fits and works best for the consumer.

I didn't think anyone was being overly negative. I think the important thing comes down to finding the right fit, and that for a lot of people this isn't it. I do a lot better with a heavier shaft and these were a good match for me. They launch very high and other than the short irons I find them quite long. I wouldn't complain about a few extra yards but more important for me is to have a club for every distance and get consistent distance out of them.

I think with the right combo I would likely be very happy with the SLDR irons as well. I haven't found the CB lacking forgiveness but more forgiveness is always a good thing.

My first round today with my new set up had me grinning ear to ear. Until now, I had played the CBs with stock KBS Tour shafts which are 120g. I had been hitting them well, and very straight, but a little shorter than normal. I was scoring okay with them by just clubbing up. But, TaylorMade let me replace them fitted with Aerotech Steelfiber i95R shafts, 1 degree strong, 1/2 in long.

I just got the TP CB irons and was wondering how you were able to get them to refit your clubs with the new shafts/lie angle etc? I want to get fitted and figure out what is really best for me, but don't know how to go about it- TMPL? Call the TP hotline?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Got to hit my CB 5 iron yeasterday it is very nice and fits in very well with the MC i might add the 4 iron

So the CB's get their first PGA Tour win today. Glad to see the CB getting some love.

So the CB's get their first PGA Tour win today. Glad to see the CB getting some love.

And the MCs at the Players.

They are "Tour Preferred" for a reason.

More results from early play with these CB’s.

As a reminder I have the SteelFiber I95 in regular flex, 1” over and 2 degrees upright.

I received these during a very unfortunate time with my swing in shambles, At the time I had a horrible case of shanks and couldn’t get an iron of anytype in the air going straight to save my life. Fingers crossed I have mostly worked that out, it has appeared two or three times during my most recent round. So knowing that is a swing issue, I discount it for the purposes of evaluating these clubs.
That preamble out of the way, I really really like these and a few more rounds with them, I may say I love them.

I’m not bothered by the weak lofts (compared to some other OEM’s and even previous TaylorMade clubs) I was prepared to be hitting an 8 iron 100 yards after hearing of some accounts of losing 1 to 2 clubs distance. I can honestly say I haven’t experienced that. My loss of distance has occurred due to age and lack of flexibility over the past 3 years. I’ve gone from a norm a 4 iron at 180 yards to now using a 4 hybrid for that distance, and 160 yards for my 6 iron to about 150 now, 8 iron from 140 to about 130 now.

With the CB’s I hit a solid 8 iron yesterday at a 128 yard pin on a par 3 that landed pin high. I hit a nice PW from 110 to pin high, the longest most accurate (iron) shot was a 6 iron from fairly thick rough from about 155. It did come up about 10 yards short of the green, but I wanted the extra loft out of that rough and was ok leaving it short on that pin.

The look of these at address are very pleasing, I would say a moderate thickness top line, certainly not blade thin, but must less thick than some more forgiving style irons I’ve played, XHots and RocketBladez. The feel is among the best feeling irons I’ve hit and I think the Steelfiber shafts help account for a large amount of that as well.

My playing partner yesterday commented a few times on the nice sounding click they made, when I hit one solid.
This is my first iron with a graphite shaft, and I can say the 95g weight and softness of the graphite definitely aid this aging slowing swing that I have.
I’m looking forward t several more rounds with these and hoping that once I get my swing back in shape, I might even pick up a bit more distance over my previous irons. But if not that’s fine, the fact I didn’t lose any is a huge plus.

I've played a few more rounds with these the past week and I am still really enjoying these irons. With the trajectory of these I feel like I can stop it quick with every club, even the 4i. Nice high ball flight but nothing ballooning on me.

I cannot get over how awesome the Gap Wedge is out of the sand. Out of the rough it's not to shabby either. Yesterday I hit a 50 yard pitch that came up a foot short of dropping for an eagle.

I thought the Callway Dark Chrome wedges were the best ever, but I really want to get the 54 and 58 of this line.

I've had my CB's for a few weeks now. I've had multiple range trips and have been able to play two rounds with them. So far I love them. They are comparable to my previous 712 AP2 irons in the short irons and are without a doubt easier to hit in the long irons. The are also longer for me than my AP2's were, but I switched from stiff S300 shafts to KBS Tour X shafts that I was fit for. So I think I was genuinely hitting the ball too high. I still feel like I hit the ball high with the KBS shafts, but I've gained around 10 yards per club and still see my ball stop on the greens with little rollout. I hit a 7 iron approach shot 170 yards that landed 2 feet from the pin and rolled around 12" forward, leaving a 1 foot putt.

The are not as long for me as the SLDR irons in the same shaft (170 yard 7i vs 180 yard 7i). And I didn't/haven't hit the SLDR irons enough to comment on how similar/dissimilar the two are in the area of forgiveness or lack thereof.

I've had my CB's for a few weeks now. I've had multiple range trips and have been able to play two rounds with them. So far I love them. They are comparable to my previous 712 AP2 irons in the short irons and are without a doubt easier to hit in the long irons. The are also longer for me than my AP2's were, but I switched from stiff S300 shafts to KBS Tour X shafts that I was fit for. So I think I was genuinely hitting the ball too high. I still feel like I hit the ball high with the KBS shafts, but I've gained around 10 yards per club and still see my ball stop on the greens with little rollout. I hit a 7 iron approach shot 170 yards that landed 2 feet from the pin and rolled around 12" forward, leaving a 1 foot putt.

The are not as long for me as the SLDR irons in the same shaft (170 yard 7i vs 180 yard 7i). And I didn't/haven't hit the SLDR irons enough to comment on how similar/dissimilar the two are in the area of forgiveness or lack thereof.

Still loving mine as well. I hit the purest 7 iron I have hit in many years last weekend. Although it wasn't from 170...more like 145 uphill. But still felt so sweet and settled right down about 6' from the pin.

Loving these irons.

I have made a decision on these for right now. With leagues coming up on Wednesday, I am going to sideline these for a while. Since I have someone else counting on me to hit good shots, I feel better about going back to my old set. Just not sure which ones I will use! It will probably be my MC Razr X irons, but it still might be the HB3's.

I hit the CB's ok, but I am still inconsistent with them, and right now I need to be getting good scores, so it's time for this change. I will still go out with them, but they are not as forgiving as any of my other sets, and I gotta have that right now.

Starting today, the CB's are out as my regular set. The gap wedge is staying though. It's the one club I love pulling for a shot!

Including tomorrow night, there are three more league nights left and then I will be going back to these for the rest of the season. Kinda looking forward to it.

Having played a lot of rounds with these this year I will say that the finish on these have held up extremely well. Most of them looked barely used. In contrast my 54º atv wedge from last year with the chrome finish looks trashed.

Are these a bit tougher to hit than the Speedblades? I hit the SB really well but have always loved the looks of the TPCB a little more than the blue. I know I need to go hit them first but I thought I'd go ahead and ask those that have played both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are these a bit tougher to hit than the Speedblades? I hit the SB really well but have always loved the looks of the TPCB a little more than the blue. I know I need to go hit them first but I thought I'd go ahead and ask those that have played both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They will be a good amount less forgiving, yes.

Back