Cleveland 588 Custom Driver Review

Awesome to hear, MUTiger! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts when you take it to the course!

I shouldn't have done it, but this weekend I was at Golfsmith and decided to give the 588 a swing or two. Ten minutes later I was at the counter with it, and look forward to trying it out this week. I really wasn't in the market for a new driver; I've got a 10.5 Altitude that I like just fine, but the number on the launch monitor were too good to ignore. Plus, with Golfsmith's generous return policy, the worst I'd be out would be 10%, which I would happily give for a 30-day test drive.

I won't go into all the numbers, but I was sold when I got two drives out there 300+. My 300 yard drives are long gone, if in fact I ever had them to begin with. Just to see if I was dealing with a juiced up monitor, I hit a couple other drivers and was consistently getting my 270 distance - give or take. I'm excited to see what this can do on the course.

how much longer than the Altitude are you guessing it was? (all things considered)

how much longer than the Altitude are you guessing it was? (all things considered)

I think it's really hard to say. I plan on taking them both out and testing them side-by-side. Same tee, same balls, maybe 10-15 drives each. If you're interested I'll let you know the results.

I think it's really hard to say. I plan on taking them both out and testing them side-by-side. Same tee, same balls, maybe 10-15 drives each. If you're interested I'll let you know the results.

Absolutely as I'm sure many other folks are too that haven't tried both yet like me.

I love the sound of this and would be very interested in the results.

I hit both side-by-side at a demo day yesterday, but with no launch monitor and a bunch of wind, it was tough for me to conclude on anything.

Nice man. Good test too!

Yep I would love to hear what the difference are between the two. I have hit both but I am the same at OCarroll and just have done it at a demo day with no launch monitor.

"The other site" did a review on both and found the altitude to be longer. Makes sense since the Altitude is lighter but the balance might be better for you on the custom allowing you to come through faster. Just a guess on my part.

Just back from the course and I may had the best driving day of my life!

as I said in the 588 fairway wood thread, I did hit 5 out of 5 with the fairway, but the other 9 were really good!

1st tee: a bit of a pull, really nothing bad, but since I aim left of fairway because my miss is a fade/slice, I missed the fairway by 5 yards
4rth tee : 520 yards apr 5 and I hit a MONSTER drive down the middle, leaving me 240 from the green (wich I did hit with my 5w)
7th : drive on the toe, big draw in the fairway, not so long but still carried over 240
9th : my big miss got back to me, awful swing and I did loose a ball OB left, but I pull a second ball, a beast down the middle.

10 : short par 4, ball ended up in a greenside bunker, still a good hit
11 : little fade, 255 in the middle
13 : little pull, 3 yards off the fairway
16 : another 520 yards par 5, another monster, another 5w into the green
18 : toe hit, push draw, 240 yards in the middle

all in all, a really good day and this driver was good for me. if my shortgame was somewhat good, it could have been a new PB

Great stuff, MP! I might have skimmed it in the thread, but at what length are you playing your 588? Standard, or cut down?

Great stuff, MP! I might have skimmed it in the thread, but at what length are you playing your 588? Standard, or cut down?

I decided to wait a bit before cuting it down

Finally started to hit this guy great on the back 9 and was hitting some in the fairway 240+ with the drives. Was hitting baby fades and loving it. This driver is just amazing when your hitting well. Had it set to close -.75 and put it back to neutral and all was well. Don't know what was going on but hey aslong as it's long and in the fairway I'll take it. Can't wait to get back out and hit some more bombs with it.

I love the sound of this and would be very interested in the results.

I hit both side-by-side at a demo day yesterday, but with no launch monitor and a bunch of wind, it was tough for me to conclude on anything.

This weekend I had the chance of testing the Altitude and Custom in a side-by-side hitting test. Same balls, same tee box, etc. The only variable was my ability to repeat my swing - a pretty big variable indeed. In fairness, it's not quite an apples-to-apples because the Altitude is 10.5 while the Custom is 9.0. (For the test I had the Custom .75 closed which increased the effective loft to 9.5.) You an adjust the Custom up to a 10.5 loft, but it also closes the club face, which I don't need given I already draw the ball.

In summary, my Altitude is now up for sale on a popular auction site.

I would say on shots that were hit well the Custom was on average 5-10 yards longer than the Altitude. However, I would say the more meaningful results were on the shots that weren't flushes, which quite frankly was most of them. I usually play down the right side of the fairway, because my big miss is a pull hook. Generally speaking, when I put a poor swing on the Custom it still ended up on the left-side of the fairway. The same swing with Altitude usually ended up in the left rough, or worse.

One of my test holes was a straight away par 4 with a lake in front of the tee box. It only takes a 191 yard shot to clear the lake, but I had to poorly hit Altitudes that snap-dipped into the lake, while all of my shots with the Custom, including my poor ones, at least cleared the water. Another problem I sometimes with the Altitude is ballooning, which did not happen at all with the Custom.

Things are still pretty wet around here, so neither club gave me much roll out. However, as things dry out over the summer I think the difference between the two is going to be even greater. My sense was the Custom's ball flight was more penetrating and eventually is going to result in more roll out.

The bottom line is these are both good drivers. I hope to find a happy home for the Altitude. But between the two of them, the Custom is a better fit for me.

This weekend I had the chance of testing the Altitude and Custom in a side-by-side hitting test. Same balls, same tee box, etc. The only variable was my ability to repeat my swing - a pretty big variable indeed. In fairness, it's not quite an apples-to-apples because the Altitude is 10.5 while the Custom is 9.0. (For the test I had the Custom .75 closed which increased the effective loft to 9.5.) You an adjust the Custom up to a 10.5 loft, but it also closes the club face, which I don't need given I already draw the ball.

In summary, my Altitude is now up for sale on a popular auctions site.

I would say on shots that were hit well the Custom was on average 5-10 yards longer than the Altitude. However, I would say the more meaningful results were on the shots that weren't flushes, which quite frankly was most of them. I usually play down the right side of the fairway, because my big miss is a pull hook. Generally speaking, when I put a poor swing on the Custom it still ended up on the left-side of the fairway. The same swing with Altitude usually ended up in the left rough, or worse.

One of my test holes was a straight away par 4 with a lake in front of the tee box. It only takes a 191 yard shot to clear the lake, but I had to poorly hit Altitudes that snap-dipped into the lake, while all of my shots with the Custom, including my poor ones, at least cleared the water. Another problem I sometimes with the Altitude is ballooning, which did not happen at all with the Custom.

Things are still pretty wet around here, so neither club gave me much roll out. However, as things dry out over the summer I think the difference between the two is going to be even greater. My sense was the Custom's ball flight was more penetrating and eventually is going to result in more roll out.

The bottom line is these are both good drivers. I hope to find a happy home for the Altitude. But between the two of them, the Custom is a better fit for me.

Thanks for the comparison, looking forward to trying them both myself

Thanks for the great head to head challange. I have tried both but only on the range and just have found the Custom to be longer and more forgiving. Glad to see you have found the same results as I have and others in the awesome driver. Really am pumped to play some more rounds tonight and hit those fairways.

In summary, my Altitude is now up for sale on a popular auctions site.

hmm, may have to hit Coers's on Saturday if he allows me. Hoping its better than the swings I took with it at Golf Galaxy in one of their closets

Thanks for your comparison. I havent bought a new club in like 3 weeks, so it is time again, (I have problems). Being a Cleveland homer, I was just looking on ebay for prices on the Custom driver.

In summary, my Altitude is now up for sale on a popular auction site.

Hey bud you can swing away with it. It's a 10.5 Regular Flex with a inch off so 44.5 right now. Any idea if JB will have some clubs we can try out on the range? I wanna try some swings at some smart soles and 588 rtx's.
hmm, may have to hit Coers's on Saturday if he allows me. Hoping its better than the swings I took with it at Golf Galaxy in one of their closets

Hey bud you can swing away with it. It's a 10.5 Regular Flex with a inch off so 44.5 right now. Any idea if JB will have some clubs we can try out on the range? I wanna try some swings at some smart soles and 588 rtx's.

I can help ya with the 588 RTX's, I dont have a smart sole anymore though.

I do want to get an idea on my launch and spin/carry with the 588 driver just to give me a rough idea on what to expect.

I can help ya with the 588 RTX's, I dont have a smart sole anymore though.

I do want to get an idea on my launch and spin/carry with the 588 driver just to give me a rough idea on what to expect.

heck yeah man plus JB will have the track man down there so that will help

3 for 3 fairways last night with the 588 custom; lowest round I have ever shot 38 for 9. Full wedge shots were on fire.

3 for 3 fairways last night with the 588 custom; lowest round I have ever shot 38 for 9. Full wedge shots were on fire.

Congrats! Long straight playable drives often lead to lower scores!

Pondering the 3W yet?

I have a launcher 3w that only gets me in trouble. One of my resolutions this year is to get consistent with it. I just can't justify upgrading a club I don't use.

Pondering the 3W yet?

I played two rounds this week and this ckub continues to impress. The wind came up during the first round and several of the tee shots were into a 2+ club head wind. I teed the ball down a touch and the piercing ball flight was getting out there 230 to 240 yards.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Back