Cleveland 588 Custom Driver Review

Just saw that my store also offers the even more forgiving 588 altitude. The only thing that intrigues me is the shaft. I think the Altitude would launch way too high with the stock shaft.

If they'll let you, try the Altitude out. It is an absolute sleeper. I briefly had one in the wrong specs for me, but was really impressed with the forgiveness. Visually the Custom absolutely looks better, and the sound / feel of the Altitude aren't great, but if you are looking for forgiveness on a budget, it will be hard to beat that.

thanks guys. Hopefully they have enough demo clubs at my store^^

An adjustable 588 altitude paired with a mid launch shaft would have been picture perfect.

Maybe I'll take a look at the Cobra FLYZ as well. But as it stands the 588 Custom seems to be the logic pick (in terms of price/performance)

thanks guys. Hopefully they have enough demo clubs at my store^^

An adjustable 588 altitude paired with a mid launch shaft would have been picture perfect.

Maybe I'll take a look at the Cobra FLYZ as well. But as it stands the 588 Custom seems to be the logic pick (in terms of price/performance)

Try the FlyZ. That's the best all around driver I have ever hit. It is forgiving and puts up nice launch and spin numbers. I was quite pleasantly surprised.

I was finally able to test this bad boy. The custom 588 turned out to be a real performer. I managed to improve my carry by 15-20 yards. No comparison to my old Cobra speed LD F driver:D

Unfortunately they only had the "made for" Matrix 6Q3 Red Tie shaft in the demo club. The overall feel was pretty good but the softer tip section put me a little bit off.
My launch with the "made for" Red Tie was mid-high. SS 104mph.
I absolutely love the control and mid height that I get from my 3 wood Amp Cell/Fujikura Fuel shaft (stiffer tip), so I really wanted to try a stiffer tip version like the Matrix Black Tie as well.

Do you guys think the Black Tie (maybe in regular) paired with the lower-spinning 588 (driver head) would be too much for my swing speed? I heard that low spin/low launch can easily cost quite some distance.

I just really like the stiffer feeling tip of my Amp Cell Fairway compared to the tested Red Tie in the 588 Custom.

That would depend entirely on peak height in my opinion.

k thanks JB. Do you think the launch will be much lower with the black tie (regular) compared to the standard red tie stiff offering?

I felt that the red tie was launching pretty high. Not as high as my old Speed LD F driver but higher and less penetrating than my AMP Cell Fairway Wood

Launch and peak height are really two different things. It could be lower. Then again I think most golfers hit the ball too low. The golfer meaning AOA and flipping and such would determine it more than the shaft in my opinion.

In this case I really need a launch monitor fitting I guess^^.

The thing that i noticed is that my peak height/ which has always been really high came down quite a bit in the last couple of weeks.
My pro helped me to turn my slice into a hook and changed my release quite a bit. My left arm release was not really there before^^

I think I'll risk buying the black tie offering. It's the real black tie and if it doesn't fit I can swap out the shaft pretty easily. The driver is a steal for 110$ anyway.

I'll do the fitting afterwards and change the shaft if necessary.

Last edited:
Good call. Drivers spin way less now than they did just 5 years ago so a lot of time ball flight has come down without many noticing.

Back