17th at the Players

Three balls in each pocket, just in case, save going back to the bag. If I dunked any, would want to keep hitting from tee rather the DZ.

Somebody posted a video a few weeks ago about when they took some less than great players there, was a good watch.

anybody see the video of Phil, Ricky and DJ playing it wrong handed this week?

If you haven't played the hole before, I'd be surprised if you could green it after one or two swings. The best in the world that have played 80 times are missing

This is an odd statement to make considering the number of people posting in this thread that they have done just that.

Also the more you play it the more likely you are to miss the green. That's not rocket science. That's simple statistics.

McGirt... Tin Cup, Tin Cup = 8.

This is an odd statement to make considering the number of people posting in this thread that they have done just that.

Also the more you play it the more likely you are to miss the green. That's not rocket science. That's simple statistics.

You consider 27 post a lot. I offered my opinion based on experience watching people flush ball after ball the first time they see the hole.

You consider 27 post a lot. I offered my opinion based on experience watching people flush ball after ball the first time they see the hole.

Where did I say anything about a number of posts dude? I just pointed out (correctly) a very ironic post you chose to make. It has nothing to do with how you feel about it. It's a simple factual statement.

Where did I say anything about a number of posts dude? I just pointed out (correctly) a very ironic post you chose to make. It has nothing to do with how you feel about it. It's a simple factual statement.

Is there some reason you are questioning my opinion?

So I'm sitting here watching the coverage of the 17th hole at the Players and it got me thinking. How many times teeing of would it take you to hit the green. I could probably hit it in my first or second shot, but that hole looks very intimidating.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Hitting from where?

Is there some reason you are questioning my opinion?

If you still are having trouble comprehending the meaning of my posts then it's pointless to continue. Carry on, good sir.

If how I played yesterday is any indication, I'd have a better chance throwing it onto the green!

I haven't played that hole, but have played on with an island green, stuck it square in the middle first time out (8i shot I believe as well). In a casual round, no wind, I could get it in at least 2 shots, hopefully the first.

However, playing the first 16 holes first, or tourny setting/something on the line, I'd probably add a couple balls to the drink.

Hit the grass? Probably I could hit it some good majority of the time at 130 yards or so.

But what isn't replicated are the tour conditions. It's cut to roll like marble. And at 120 yards, I'd probably roll or bounce a ton of balls over the sides as I don't have great spin at that distance right now.

Reminds me of a hole here in Paiute Wolf course. I hate that hole.

17th at the Players

Playing it during a normal round, I'd be pretty backed off if I didn't hit it first time out, I'd certainly be expecting too. Playing in the cauldron of the players, I'd be happy just to get the ball off the ground.

I used to play a course in England with an island green for the 18th. The clubhouse had a large raised outdoor area where people would sit in the summer waiting to cheer all the balls that landed in the drink. The shot was only about 110yds, but would be fairly intimidating if the patio was busy.

After today's round I can officially say it would take me about two dozen balls to even touch the green.

Golf channel just showed the clip of an amateur who shot a 66 on that hole. He couldn't hit the green so he had to putt all the way around.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I've played the real deal several times and have yet to dunk one, it's a matter of time though. We have a replica course around here where #17 is their 9th hole - I've played that about a half dozen times and have 2 floaters!

I would say I would hit the green with first shot. Then, if I would play a second round, I might miss it.

If I would scull or duff the first shot, yeah no chance, but if I would have any game with the irons, I would hit it. Maybe two putt for par. Hit the bunker...most definitely the shot from that bunker would end up wet on the other side :D

I'd cold hook a couple into the lake first before going to the drop zone and chunking another into the blue.
Then I'd write down an ESC 5 and get the heck outta there.

I am ashamed to say it took me 3 times to get on...... both times I played it. The green is the size of Texas but it's still scary.

I am ashamed to say it took me 3 times to get on...... both times I played it. The green is the size of Texas but it's still scary.

I played the replica in Houston and was stunned to see how short it really was. A PW at most. And that green is really huge. It's an aircraft carrier. Still, when your nerves kick up all bets are off. Think the pros have a hard time because it's too short and they get stuck between wedges

Back