High lofted and forgiving drivers

I'll throw another cheap option out there and one that just earned a spot in my bag and that's the Cobra ZL Encore. It's really forgiving and can be had new for 120 or so on EBay. I'm a low ball hitter myself and the Fujikura Motore F1 that came stock gets my launch at a great angle. The senior/ lite flex might suit him well.

I'm currently in the market for a driver and last night I went and hit Big Bertha, Bio Cell, Big Bertha Alpha, Titleist 913 D2, and TM R1. So far I'm leaning towards the BB as I found it the most forgiving. I'm going back tomorrow with my current driver (R11s) to do some comparisons and maybe try a couple more but the BB is looking to be the one for me.

I'll throw another cheap option out there and one that just earned a spot in my bag and that's the Cobra ZL Encore. It's really forgiving and can be had new for 120 or so on EBay. I'm a low ball hitter myself and the Fujikura Motore F1 that came stock gets my launch at a great angle. The senior/ lite flex might suit him well.

I got along with the one I hit for a couple rounds.

~Don't practice til you get it right, Practice til you can't get it wrong~

11.5° X Hot from last year is a good one.

As is the 13.5 degree version. At his age you could try light shafts for sure and maybe even a ladies flex. I play with a guy that is 70 and plays ladies clubs for the most part to about a 2 or 3 handicap.

This year's Callaway X2 Hot comes in a 13.5* head and can be adjusted up 2* and down 1*. Also, The Titleist 913 D2 has a nice high launch even in the Blue 62 shaft and would launch even higher in the Bassera 50 (red) shaft The D2 comes in a 12* head that can be adjusted up in 0.75* increments up to 13.5*. I also agree the G25 has a good high launch with makes the 12* version a good option (one I might try myself).

I have the SLDR mini driver in 12* and I find it be very forgiving. Some say that low forward CG makes it less forgiving so maybe it's just the 3 wood length shaft but I find it easy to hit almost as far as my driver with a much higher ball flight.

Try Japanese Clubs like Honma, Maruman & alike, or American clubs for Japanese Domestic Market. Most of Asian specs tend to be lighter & softer, suitable for Seniors.

If you really want to loft up, find a Ladies or Junior Cobra Amp Cell. Your dad might be perfect with the shaft (particularly the ladies model). The marked loft is going to be up there, and Cobras typically launch high (and spin high) relative to stated loft as well. Your dad will be hitting moon balls.

The other suggestion newer suggestion I'd have is the G25. It's a high launcher and is very forgiving.

If you want to go older, some of the shallower Callaway 13 or 13.5 degree models really, really hit the ball high. The Diablo Octane HL with the Project X was a moon ball hitter for me.

If you really want to loft up, find a Ladies or Junior Cobra Amp Cell. Your dad might be perfect with the shaft (particularly the ladies model). The marked loft is going to be up there, and Cobras typically launch high (and spin high) relative to stated loft as well. Your dad will be hitting moon balls.

The other suggestion newer suggestion I'd have is the G25. It's a high launcher and is very forgiving.

If you want to go older, some of the shallower Callaway 13 or 13.5 degree models really, really hit the ball high. The Diablo Octane HL with the Project X was a moon ball hitter for me.

I think this might have been the best suggestion on here for both weight and forgiveness.

I think this might have been the best suggestion on here for both weight and forgiveness.

Thanks. The Junior is going to be really easy to hit as well due to the shorter shaft.

A buddy and I have debated picking one up as a "thriver." I tend to think that club is going to reach cult status in a few years. It's the kind of club that is appreciated after its time (kind of like the HiBore 2w).

I hit my wife's teal AC set to 14.5* every time we play, its a lot of fun, ladies flex and all. I've often considered grabbing a lime ladies head and making a 42" tee club for grins.

Thanks. The Junior is going to be really easy to hit as well due to the shorter shaft.

A buddy and I have debated picking one up as a "thriver." I tend to think that club is going to reach cult status in a few years. It's the kind of club that is appreciated after its time (kind of like the HiBore 2w).

The mini-driver/thriver is definitely getting some love of late. The SLDR Mini, Callaway's 2Deep, Phrankenwood, have all served to make a pretty blurry line between Driver and fairway wood.

I wouldn't rule out the R1 as some mentioned. Its very forgiving imo

The mini-driver/thriver is definitely getting some love of late. The SLDR Mini, Callaway's 2Deep, Phrankenwood, have all served to make a pretty blurry line between Driver and fairway wood.

Yep, and add the LT2W, the HiBore 2W, the old large, square Nike Sumo2 low lofted 3W to the list. They're all clubs primarily for the tee.

I think the Junior would make a great thriver because there's a full sized head. This thing is never going to be hit off of the ground, so why not get the biggest, highest lofted, most forgiving, max COR head to pair with the shorter shaft?

Back