would you ever rather have a greenside chip vs a long putt

Putt putt putt all day long.

On putts of longer than 50 feet I would rather be chipping. My clubs average green is 1,124 square feet so we rarely have putts over 30 feet. When I play other courses my GIR's are typically higher than at my course but I also high a much higher chance for 3 putt. I feel I can control my distance from over 50 feet by chipping rather than putting.

Wow, 1,124 average green size is super small. At that size and assuming they are roundish, that would mean less than 19 feet to any edge if the pin was placed in the center of the green. You must never get to hit a putt longer than 35 feet at your club.

BTW, the average PGA Tour green is 6,600 feet and the old style courses they play like Harbor Town and Pebble Beach have an average green size of 3,700 and 3,500 square feet. I just played Harbor Town last month and it's green were some of the smallest I've ever seen.

In the past, I would have said "Putt" nearly 100% of the time. However, I'm feeling better about green-side chipping than my long-distance putting, so far this season. As of now, I would say "chip".

For me it would be a long putt, good at lag putting.

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk

I'm in the minority here but I would take a bump & run chip over a long putt any time. For some reason I am way more accurate hitting those little dudes with anything between a 6iron and a 9iron than I am putting long distances. I hole out at least one, maybe 2 greenside chips per round, but I make a putt 20 foot or longer maybe once every 5 rounds. If I end up off the green at all, even if I only have 3 inches of fringe between my ball and the putting surface, I am always going to bump it with an iron instead of putting it. I never know how the ball is going to react rolling through fringe or fairway grass but I know what's going to happen if I carry it over the regular grass and get it rolling on the green.

Outside of huge turns of slope, no. Less moving parts in putting.

I agree with JB. I'll take the putt.

3 putt? Subliminal....?

Well i'd rather have 3 putts than 3 chips and 1 putt haha...

Def subliminal, with the Ghost Spider Si a lot less three putts so it manifests itself in other places...

Using Tapatalk

A couple of years ago, I would have said yes. But now my lag putting is much better than my chipping, which is not a great thing for a guy that misses as many greens add I do.

Right now give me the chip. My distance chipping is far more accurate than my distance putting is.

prefer Putt unless large breaks on the green--or like today punched greens.

Short of having to turn my back to the hole to play for break, or there being a windmill or something in the way, I would rather putt.

I would rather putt depending on the green. Today I had some great chips and not so great chips. The same can be said for my lag putting as well!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Wow, 1,124 average green size is super small. At that size and assuming they are roundish, that would mean less than 19 feet to any edge if the pin was placed in the center of the green. You must never get to hit a putt longer than 35 feet at your club.

BTW, the average PGA Tour green is 6,600 feet and the old style courses they play like Harbor Town and Pebble Beach have an average green size of 3,700 and 3,500 square feet. I just played Harbor Town last month and it's green were some of the smallest I've ever seen.

Not only are they super small they are firm and fast. Smallest and toughest green to hold that we have is 972 square feet. It's on a par 3 that plays 180 from the middle tees to an elevated green. After the 15th of this month our greens won't be below 10 on the stimp and will get to 12 for our member/member and a few other events. Try holding that green with a 7 iron once it firms up. We typically play to either the front of the green yardage and on some greens we play as much as 5 yards short of the green once they start to firm up. The club also does a great job of overseeding so we rarely have rough that is less than 2 inches and that starts just off the collar of the greens.

Sign me up for the long putt. My short game is really struggling right now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I would prefer to putt.

I would prefer the long putt. Even when my chipping is on, I tend to put it closer with a long putt than a chip.

Depends on the day, the green setup and my lie.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I would prefer to putt but never out of the rough or on anything but perfect fringe, from there I'll use the nine iron with a putting type stroke for a little bump and run. Sometimes if there is a tricky green I will throw it up there with the sand or lob wedge but I prefer to keep it low. I don't like putting over a roll or swell early in a long putt so I try to avoid that whenever possible, if that means I need my 58* wedge to throw it over that silliness then that's what I'll do.

I'm going for the chip anyday. For some reason I do better that way than long putts

I usually do better with the chip if over 20' from hole. Of course if the shot is downhill on a crispy green... Putt all day long.

I'll take the putt, even if the ball is slightly off the green. Less chance of something being off... right, left and speed.

Chip. My putting is no good.

Back