Cleveland 588 Custom Driver Review

Hit this guy solid today, loved it. Just need to aim a little left because my miss is left. But overall loving this guy.

Hit this guy solid today, loved it. Just need to aim a little left because my miss is left. But overall loving this guy.

Which Shaft did you get with yours?

Which Shaft did you get with yours?

I got the stock regular shaft cut down to 44.5. Works great wish it was higher ball flight though.

I got the stock regular shaft cut down to 44.5. Works great wish it was higher ball flight though.

You probably would hit it higher if you had not cut it down. Did you try it before cutting it down?
You might try counterweighting it, sometimes that will help you hit a higher ball flight. Of course some do not like weight in the grip and it also causes the swing weight to drop.

You probably would hit it higher if you had not cut it down. Did you try it before cutting it down?
You might try counterweighting it, sometimes that will help you hit a higher ball flight. Of course some do not like weight in the grip and it also causes the swing weight to drop.

It was hitting low before to so same ball flight. With the winds in Illinois it works great there. I would say I was hitting 240 250 drives today so I'm happy. Hope Mike Dean can make a comment he hit some on the range today.

It was hitting low before to so same ball flight. With the winds in Illinois it works great there. I would say I was hitting 240 250 drives today so I'm happy. Hope Mike Dean can make a comment he hit some on the range today.

What ball and tee height wre you using if I might ask?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

What ball and tee height wre you using if I might ask?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Srixon Z star ball. I use a epoch 2 3/4 with three orange stripes and I put it all the way in to the highest orange stripe.

It does sometime help to play with tee height to bring ball flight up really launch angle and then the spin will keep it in the air or make it rise or drop the ball flight. With this driver you could also play with loft as well.

Epically lazy skim...what's the stock length of the Custom?

I play the tee low and still hit high on the face. Pretty sure I hit the ball on the down swing instead of the up swing.
It does sometime help to play with tee height to bring ball flight up really launch angle and then the spin will keep it in the air or make it rise or drop the ball flight. With this driver you could also play with loft as well.

Regular stock what is 45.5. It's good to have control.
Epically lazy skim...what's the stock length of the Custom?

Thanks man. I was fit into a 46" driver last year (even at 5'6"), but my current driver is 45" and I'm a big fan of the straighter tee shots I've seen.

I play the tee low and still hit high on the face. Pretty sure I hit the ball on the down swing instead of the up swing.

Teeing the ball low will typically lead to a more downward angle of attack, try to tee it up a little higher. Play with tee height and get it to a comfortable height, you don't have to go to extremes with the height but the higher you tee it the easier it is to hit up or level on the ball.

sometimes playing the ball a little more forward will help you hit up on the ball.

Thanks man. I was fit into a 46" driver last year (even at 5'6"), but my current driver is 45" and I'm a big fan of the straighter tee shots I've seen.

Wooooow you should be at most 45 man. I'll never have a 46 shaft again.

Teeing the ball low will typically lead to a more downward angle of attack, try to tee it up a little higher. Play with tee height and get it to a comfortable height, you don't have to go to extremes with the height but the higher you tee it the easier it is to hit up or level on the ball.

It's working where it is now. Any higher and I'll be hitting sky balls.

Wooooow you should be at most 45 man. I'll never have a 46 shaft again.
Oddly enough, I hit the center of the face pretty consistently with the 46" driver, but alternate between decent tee shots and knuckle ball hooks. With the 45" driver, I was finding the heel when I first started swinging it, but it definitely feels like a better length for me at address, and as my confidence with it has improved my swing and tee shots have as well.

Oddly enough, I hit the center of the face pretty consistently with the 46" driver, but alternate between decent tee shots and knuckle ball hooks. With the 45" driver, I was finding the heel when I first started swinging it, but it definitely feels like a better length for me at address, and as my confidence with it has improved my swing and tee shots have as well.

Well hey I guess whatever works for you use that man.

I was just trying to answer your "Works great wish it was a higher ball flight though".

A good place to start for driver length is to measure wrist to floor, however this is just a starting point. If you were fitted I'm sure it is correct.

I was just trying to answer your "Works great wish it was a higher ball flight though".

I hear ya, yeah once I start hitting up on it I can do that.

Well hey I guess whatever works for you use that man.

A good place to start for driver length is to measure wrist to floor, however this is just a starting point. If you were fitted I'm sure it is correct.
I guess in a roundabout kind of way, I'm saying that even though I was fit into a 46" driver and had no problems finding the center of the face with it...I'm not sure I wasn't doing something with my swing subconsciously to achieve that; and that the 45" driver after a quick range session warmup/adjustment has certainly worked better for me the last two rounds.

I guess in a roundabout kind of way, I'm saying that even though I was fit into a 46" driver and had no problems finding the center of the face with it...I'm not sure I wasn't doing something with my swing subconsciously to achieve that; and that the 45" driver after a quick range session warmup/adjustment has certainly worked better for me the last two rounds.

Pete are you considering this for your MC driver?

Pete are you considering this for your MC driver?
Yes, absolutely, as long as it is an option for us. I've said all along that a fitting/comparison of this and the Altitude will be what I base my decision on.

I LOVE the shaft (have it in my current fairway and driver), and after hitting the Classic at a demo day a few weeks ago, I'm 100% positive this is a better fit for me than the Altitude.

Yes, absolutely, as long as it is an option for us. I've said all along that a fitting/comparison of this and the Altitude will be what I base my decision on.

I LOVE the shaft (have it in my current fairway and driver), and after hitting the Classic at a demo day a few weeks ago, I'm 100% positive this is a better fit for me than the Altitude.

I would tend to agree with you for my purposes as well. I hit both Cleveland drivers a few weeks back at a demo day. That's why it seems odd to me that Hawk seems to be dead set on the Altitude driver, but it probably works better for him. It just seems to me that with him cutting his driver down, the 588 custom would be easier to return to normal swing weight and other settings. What ever works.

Different strokes. I just love that there are two vastly different options this year from Cleveland.

FINALLY...got to hit this yesterday. Reg flex was a little whipped for even slow swinging me.

However I did like the launch and overall initial flight I sae from the club. And I loved the feel of the face at impact had a very soft and "squishy" feel at impact which was unique for me but I kinda liked it.

Definitely want to try it out some more in the future.

Back