Nebgolfer's club fitting - PXIII performance club fitting

Looks like a bag full of awesomeness Ryan!

Got my email back from my fitter, and while I've got a few questions to him, I've also got some more info and questions for my knowledgeable THP friends.

His recommendation is:
10.5* Driver, 3w (14*), 5w (18*), 2h (18*), 3h (21*), 5-pw (1* weak), 50*, 54*, 60*. For the 54* and 60* he recommends soft stepping the PX 6.0 shaft 1 club.

I've asked him why 2 18* clubs, why weaken the lengths, and why 54* to 60* instead of 54* to 58*.

My question for all of you (in addition to the ones I asked my fitter), do you think the PX 6.0 is a good shaft for wedges, and what does soft stepping do? I was planning on playing the 6.0 in my 50* the same as my irons as it is going to be a full swing club, but I don't know if it's ideal for wedges, especially if my higher lofted wedges are primarily going to be half swing clubs.

Got my email back from my fitter, and while I've got a few questions to him, I've also got some more info and questions for my knowledgeable THP friends.

His recommendation is:
10.5* Driver, 3w (14*), 5w (18*), 2h (18*), 3h (21*), 5-pw (1* weak), 50*, 54*, 60*. For the 54* and 60* he recommends soft stepping the PX 6.0 shaft 1 club.

I've asked him why 2 18* clubs, why weaken the lengths, and why 54* to 60* instead of 54* to 58*.

My question for all of you (in addition to the ones I asked my fitter), do you think the PX 6.0 is a good shaft for wedges, and what does soft stepping do? I was planning on playing the 6.0 in my 50* the same as my irons as it is going to be a full swing club, but I don't know if it's ideal for wedges, especially if my higher lofted wedges are primarily going to be half swing clubs.
My only knowledgeable input here is that soft-stepping shafts is putting the 4 iron shaft in the 5 iron; and so on. It "softens" up the flex, they play a touch less in flex, and should raise the ball flight.

It's a total guess, but I don't know if it matters all that much for your wedge shafts to be different for half swings. I have KBS Hi-Rev in one of my wedge sets, and nothing really jumps out at me performance wise that is any different.

Edit: I'll be curious for his response on the two 18 degree heads. I know 1 fairway, and 1 hybrid...but would performance be all that different from the two head shapes with the same loft? I don't know.

His recommendation is:

I had to take off one shoe, but I count 14 clubs there and you still need a putter--maybe which 18* is your call?

Got a response back from Greg at 11:00pm, which is quit impressive service to say the least. His response on the 2 18* clubs was that the 5w was 2" longer and lighter, and thus should produce more ball speed than the 2h. Not sure how much of a gap that would create, but it is an interesting thought, and honestly length wasn't something I'd factored into my thinking. I don't know that I'll go that route, but that might cause me to tweak my setup in another way.

Nice write up on the experience. It's a bummer you left feeling like all options weren't gone over. Sounds though you've got a lot of good information to work with. Only advice I can say is think it all through and don't rush the decision. With the resources you have and the info you got from the fitting I'm sure you'll come to a decision you're comfortable with and will suit your game.

Neb this has been a great read. Bridgestone clubs are tough to get a true fitting for because of there not really being any fitting carts out there where shafts can be swapped out easily.

My fitting last year was very "half assed" when looking back. Like you, I didn't feel like the due diligence was done and felt like the fitter was rushing through the process.

With the follow up posts, your fitter sounds like he knows what he is doing. That bag looks to be really well thought out.

As far as wedges, if you are only gonna be using them for half shots/ etc, you probably won't notice much difference between the PX and the Spinners from a distance standpoint. Spin, maybe, but prob nothing extremely drastic. When it comes to full shots, you may get a few more yards of distance with the PXs over the Spinners.. I'm not 100% on that tho and someone with a but more knowledge may know.

His recommendation is:

For me personally, I'm gonna go with the same shafts in my wedges as I have in my irons. For me, I want to have consistent feel throughout my set. It is going to vary person to person and what you are looking to do, but I am looking to control and lower ball flight even in my wedges, so that means for me keeping the same shafts in there.

Neb, running with the same shafts through the wedges is actually pretty good. I know you said the 50* will be used for full but I'm sure the other two may be as well. Plus the spinners aren't the best shafts. I think you'll be happier with the PX.

My set up last year was close to same with a 17* 4w and 18* hybrid. For you I think you are looking at about a 15-20 yard gap with this setup.

Lots a positives in this fitting brother. You should be dialed in.

For me personally, I'm gonna go with the same shafts in my wedges as I have in my irons. For me, I want to have consistent feel throughout my set. It is going to vary person to person and what you are looking to do, but I am looking to control and lower ball flight even in my wedges, so that means for me keeping the same shafts in there.

I do the same thing. Makes a lot of sense to keep things consistent.

Neb, running with the same shafts through the wedges is actually pretty good. I know you said the 50* will be used for full but I'm sure the other two may be as well. Plus the spinners aren't the best shafts. I think you'll be happier with the PX.

Hope Ryan doesn't mind if I add a follow-up question irrelevant to his fitting.

I like the idea of having the same shafts in the wedges as in the irons. Does the performance of doing that work out ok if the shaft in the irons is one of the lighter lines (say KBS 90s for example)?

Glad to read your fitting there Neb. Speaking from experience, I too wanted all the shaft options. I wanted my experience to find that magical number.

However many many have said it to me. Go in with an open mind and trust the data. Its been revolutionary in my spi and with my fitting yesterday.

I would have never, and I mean never thought pxi 5.5 were the shafts for my irons.

I would have picked all the wrong heads and all the wrong shafts and would have been miserble at the mc... imo trust the data.

Went to the range today to sort out some things from my fitting and round yesterday. I think the diamana did better on good shots with the PX close behind, but the misses on the PX were better. Since golf is a game of who can miss better, and I think PX does a better job of that and that's why it will be in my MC bag. Working on a few other options for the rest, but things are coming together nicely.

Went to the range today to sort out some things from my fitting and round yesterday. I think the diamana did better on good shots with the PX close behind, but the misses on the PX were better. Since golf is a game of who can miss better, and I think PX does a better job of that and that's why it will be in my MC bag. Working on a few other options for the rest, but things are coming together nicely.

Neb I think that is very wise. I couldn't articulate that yesterday, glad you sorted it out.

Neb I think that is very wise. I couldn't articulate that yesterday, glad you sorted it out.

Mr. Panda, or anyone for that matter, now that I've got my driver, woods, and hybrid shafts dialed in, I am really looking for some help with my irons. My fitter liked the weight of the PX flighted shafts (125g), which gives me options in both the steelfiber and recoil lines. I've been decently happy with the PX flighted in my 6 iron, but the feel on less than perfect hits is really punishing and since I'm fighting a nagging soreness in my elbow, I'd like to consider options to lessen the sting from less than perfect shots. My fitter said a lighter shaft (120g range) might help a little, which would be PX non-flighted or KBS Tour, but wanted to get some thoughts on how the flight of recoils or steelfibers compare to the PX flighted shaft. Thanks for any info you can pass along.

Mr. Panda, or anyone for that matter, now that I've got my driver, woods, and hybrid shafts dialed in, I am really looking for some help with my irons. My fitter liked the weight of the PX flighted shafts (125g), which gives me options in both the steelfiber and recoil lines. I've been decently happy with the PX flighted in my 6 iron, but the feel on less than perfect hits is really punishing and since I'm fighting a nagging soreness in my elbow, I'd like to consider options to lessen the sting from less than perfect shots. My fitter said a lighter shaft (120g range) might help a little, which would be PX non-flighted or KBS Tour, but wanted to get some thoughts on how the flight of recoils or steelfibers compare to the PX flighted shaft. Thanks for any info you can pass along.

You want to take care of the elbow and dampen the feeling on miss hit, I suggest KBS tours or Vtours. You could even go with the 90 tours. You want something that works with you swing and releases at or into the ball. The KBS will do just that, a smooth transfer of energy.

The shafts you mention are not that smooth and aren't going to lessen the feel on miss hits. Go with the KBS line, you will be please and get much better results.

The bigger question I have, is how are you taking care of that elbow? 10
Weeks away and lots of practice between now and then.

I really enjoyed reading this after just going through one. Cant wait to meet you at the MC.

You want to take care of the elbow and dampen the feeling on miss hit, I suggest KBS tours or Vtours. You could even go with the 90 tours. You want something that works with you swing and releases at or into the ball. The KBS will do just that, a smooth transfer of energy.

The shafts you mention are not that smooth and aren't going to lessen the feel on miss hits. Go with the KBS line, you will be please and get much better results.

The bigger question I have, is how are you taking care of that elbow? 10
Weeks away and lots of practice between now and then.

I'm going over lunch to hit the KBS Tours today to directly compare to the PX flighted. I wish I would have done this during my fitting, but my brain was trying to process so much at that point that I didn't think to ask.

As for the elbow, I've got one of those tennis elbow straps that I wear whenever I swing a club, and I got a hyperice wrap that I use almost daily. Anything else you think I should be doing?

Can't wait to hear how the KBS went for you. I love the tour v and the ctl, all about the right fit though.

Can't wait to hear how the KBS went for you. I love the tour v and the ctl, all about the right fit though.

Went well, will have a more detailed writeup when i can get in front of a keyboard, but the KBS Tours will be in my irons in July.

Went well, will have a more detailed writeup when i can get in front of a keyboard, but the KBS Tours will be in my irons in July.

Boom! Love it!

After my fitting, I was a little disappointed with how things went, and for how brief and high-level it seemed to be, but as the week went on, things changed quite a bit. First, I started asking Greg, my fitter, more questions, and he responded rather quickly, even at all hours of the night (1 email at 11 and another at midnight), so the level of service was quite high. Second, the more questions I asked, Greg always had a good answer. I've realized that the reason the fitting was disappointing was because I didn't ask enough questions or take the information from it that I wanted, and that's on me and not my fitter.

The culmination of this realization came over the last 24 hours as I was having an internal struggle between KBS Tour shafts and PX flighted shafts for my irons. At my initial fitting I hit the PX and hit them alright and Greg said they'd work alright for me, but the more I hit them and talked with other people, something just didn't feel quite right. This led to me emailing Greg at like 10:30 at night asking if I could stop by at some point the next day and hit something with a KBS Tour shaft in it, and got an email at midnight saying to stop by at 1:00pm and he'd get me setup. Went out today and hit the KBS vs my PX shaft, and all the while asking the questions that I should have asked from the beginning. Greg was very open and knowledgeable, and ultimately got the answers I was needing to hear. I was hitting the PX shaft with my DPC 6 iron, and I was hitting a KBS shaft with a PXIII head (their in-house brand) both weighted the same, but the PXIII head was 2* weak compared to my DPC. With the PX shaft, I was getting a mid-high ball flight and the LM was saying about 170-180 carry. Switching to the KBS, I was seeing about 165-175 carry with a 2* weaker head, and the feeling was noticeably better; not a ton mind you, but enough. After this session, I was glad that I went back and asked more questions, and feel like I've got all the information that I need to make a decision that I'm confident in.

I will have PX 6.0 shafts in my driver, 4w, 2h and 4h, and KBS Tour shafts in my 5-PW, 50*, 54*, and 58* wedges. Still working on getting all the specifics on paper, such as length, lie, and swing weight, but I've got everything I need to put in my order, and I can't wait until staff sponsor day to hit these new weapons!

Thank you to everyone who read along, posted kind words, and even helped me work through this process. It was all new to me, and truthfully a little overwhelming (my own fault), but I appreciate all of the help and support from you all.

Interesting, a few years ago I thought of going here and getting a fitting, eventually went somewhere else.

Looking back, at this moment, ( granted this could change when you get your equipment) would you recommend this?

I'd be interested in possibly doing this in the future and making adjustments to my current clubs.

I'm glad you went in and tried them/hit them opposed to selecting them blind. You should be confident in your choices and not wishing or wondering if you selected the right choice.

Interesting, a few years ago I thought of going here and getting a fitting, eventually went somewhere else.

Looking back, at this moment, ( granted this could change when you get your equipment) would you recommend this?

I'd be interested in possibly doing this in the future and making adjustments to my current clubs.

I would, and have already, recommend this to someone. It was a bit different for me getting fit to a specific brand and model, but their program is quite a bit more robust, at least according to them. They take your measurements and see how you hit your current clubs and they can find clubs from various OEMs that will be a good fit, or can build you a set of custom clubs from their in-house line. For $85, I think it's a pretty good value for the information that you get. Like you said, this could all change if I get my clubs and hate them, but based on the changes he made to my 6 iron, I can already say that isn't going to be the case.

Back