Any BBQ smokers out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking into either a Traeger or Primo. I know 2 who have both, the Primo is like the egg but one of the models is more of an oval shape. The Traeger is a self feeding style that keeps the temp by feeding more pellets automatically. Anyone have any experience with these? Both are expensive and have been flawless, just unsure which to get.

I can't speak regarding to the Primo or Egg, but do have a Traeger and have been happy with it. I've had mine for about 2 years now and have and no issues with it. It's super convenient with a digital thermostat to get the exact temp your looking for and a lot of great options for different wood pellets. Let me know if you have more specific questions, but so far have been pleased with the product.

I think it really depends on what you want. The Traeger is full-proof. Set it and forget it. Cooks like an oven. I've heard good stuff about the Primo line. It would be a little more of a true BBQ experience (building/managing a fire, etc.), but it's just kind of dependent on what you want. Personally, I've got a Weber Smokey Mountain and a Lang stick burner. I like the aspect of having to build a fire, maintain temps and all of that. To me, that's BBQ, but I disagree with the "purists" who slam anything other than the most traditional cookers. Get what you think fits your lifestyle, because ultimately, that's what you'll get the most use out of.

I love my Smokey Mountain. Great smoker that produces great results. I also find it easy to maintain consistent temp.

I have 11 pounds of pork goodness here. 7lb pork belly and 4lbs of pork loin for back bacon. I started getting everything for my brine and found out the wife got rid of my curing salt. This is no beuno. I did smoke some swiss, cheddar and gouda cheese earlier today so I can't wait to try that once I let is sit for a couple of days.

I've got 2 turkey breasts, 2 pork loins & some steaks on as we speak.
Played golf this morning, came home, cracked a beer & got her going. Not a bad day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What did you end up getting?

I just picked up my first smoker last week and have asked my butcher to get me a brisket and some back bacon. Anyone have any recipes for back bacon? I know I'm going to use apple wood but not sure about what to put into the cure and what temp I should take it out at.

I bought a chuck roast to slow cook.....my smoker, although insulated, just won't keep up with this darn -2* weather...need warmer weather soon!

I bought a chuck roast to slow cook.....my smoker, although insulated, just won't keep up with this darn -2* weather...need warmer weather soon!

Need a bigger fire. Or move south.

Making my first attempt at pulled pork tonight. Wish me luck. It smells great so far and made a great BBQ sauce for when it's done.

I have 11 pounds of pork goodness here. 7lb pork belly and 4lbs of pork loin for back bacon. I started getting everything for my brine and found out the wife got rid of my curing salt. This is no beuno. I did smoke some swiss, cheddar and gouda cheese earlier today so I can't wait to try that once I let is sit for a couple of days.

smoked cheese> I am gonna try this ASAP,never knew it was possible on a home smoker

smoked cheese> I am gonna try this ASAP,never knew it was possible on a home smoker

Cold smoke it dude. Only takes about 45 to 1.5 hours depending on how hard the cheese is. The harder the longer. (that's what she said)

I have a Char Griller Akorn. Love the site kamado guru. Have not smoked much but want to really get busy with it this summer.

Tap talking my way thru the World of golf!

Mmmmm, 10lbs of tasty pork.

06-19006.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Saw this one in a BBQ cookoff not too long ago

PISTOLCOOKER208.jpg

Been smoking for a couple years now. Current set up is a char broil offset smoker. I modified it to reverse flow. Works awesome. Usually smoke Baby back ribs, Half chickens, Pork chops. Always use apple for wood. Can only get 9 rack of baby back ribs on her. Been collecting material to build a big offset smoker with a cooking area of 2 55 gal drums end to end, with a offset fire box.

Been smoking for a couple years now. Current set up is a char broil offset smoker. I modified it to reverse flow. Works awesome. Usually smoke Baby back ribs, Half chickens, Pork chops. Always use apple for wood. Can only get 9 rack of baby back ribs on her. Been collecting material to build a big offset smoker with a cooking area of 2 55 gal drums end to end, with a offset fire box.

That's pretty cool. Did you just weld a plate into the bottom of the cooking chamber to let smoke run underneath?

Big green egg all the way!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ya. Cut a piece of sheetmetal and welded it in about 2 inches under the cooking rack with about a 6 inch opening on the far side. Then moved exhaust to the opisite side of the opening. Allows you to use tbe full cooking area with minimal hot spots and no direct heat from the fire box. Turns a 150$ smoker into a consistant smokin machine.

I started smoking a few years ago and originally had a masterbuilt propane smoker and because of my living situation I have a smaller Smokin-it model 1 electric smoker. They both serve their purpose for good smoke but when I get the space I want to get a good offset smoker or green egg. I love smoking meat but my current one doesn't fit a whole lot but I can do ribs, pork butt, a brisket flat, chicken or some jalapeno poppers on it. For the size and ease of use it does great. I use hickory, apple and cherry for smoking.

Bought a brisket and some chicken to smoke this weekend. Should be good eats! Also going to make jalapeno mac n cheese to go with it.

atu2arup.jpg

Got some baby backs, beef ribs and turkey breast going this afternoon. Tri tip already came out.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

dupu9ybu.jpg

Pork shoulder for Mother's Day

Do any of you have or have any of you used the Masterbuilt electric smokers? How well do they work and more importantly, hows the quality of the smoked food? Thanks!!!

Do any of you have or have any of you used the Masterbuilt electric smokers? How well do they work and more importantly, hows the quality of the smoked food? Thanks!!!

I have it...got it from Lowes. I love it. I'm no pro but it does a great job for me and it is basically fool proof...and I tend to be foolish so I like that. I'm going to smoke about 20lbs of pulled pork next weekend in fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back