Ongoing lessons and equipment changes etc...........

During the round I'm not happy. But it doesn't carry over once I step off the last green. It can't. I can't let it.

Nobody said that you take it home with you. Not even a topic of conversation. I asked a simple question, What was the fun part of golf.

I agree with most of that. Let me clarify because my posts about having fun were in response to a recent discussion about score being the only thing that matters in golf. Kinda got off on a side rant lol my initial response to this thread is I'm all for lessons and improving. Ive said numerous times lessons have been some of my best golf purchases. I do agree good golf makes it fun and i like to improve and try to shoot lower scores. It just won't ruin my day like blu said.

Again, I never said anything about ruining the entire day. I am speaking of the round of golf. It is not fun to play bad golf and I don't have fun when I am playing bad. I never said I get home and smash windows or tell at my kids. The day on the course is ruined. And once again, if you or anyone else can have fun on the golf course while playing bad, I applaud you

Nobody said that you take it home with you. Not even a topic of conversation. I asked a simple question, What was the fun part of golf.

The fun of golf for me doesn't come from shooting a low score. For me, it's the fleeting moments of perfection. The drive that splits the fairway. The 8i that backs up on the green. The long putt that falls in to save a par. Those make golf fun. I haven't been in the 70 yet, maybe that will change my perspectives.

The fun of golf for me doesn't come from shooting a low score. For me, it's the fleeting moments of perfection. The drive that splits the fairway. The 8i that backs up on the green. The long putt that falls in to save a par. Those make golf fun. I haven't been in the 70 yet, maybe that will change my perspectives.

And those are the shots that keep everyone coming back...

And equipment? I don't think too many people really think clubs will change their game all that much. Maybe incremental gains. Can't think anyone believes a set of irons will drop 10 shots.

I think it's possible. Especially early on. I started playing golf with irons with regular flex 85 gram shafts and a driver with a regular flex 55 gram shaft. I was all over the place. Within 6 months I went to a full bag fitting at club champion and confirmed on Trackman that extra weight alone cut my dispersion in half. Switching equipment to heavy stiff shafts definitely helped cut strokes off my game. I shaved more off switching wedges too.

I'm not saying it will work for everyone, but it can help some.

The only thing that matters in golf is the number you write down on the scorecard, that is after all the objective of the game.
Yes. But.

Improvement CAN be measured by more than just score. Eliminating a flaw (e.g. topping the ball) is improvement but may not be reflected in score. A steady elimination of flaws and improvement in key areas will reduce scores but it may not happen immediately.

Last edited:
Or is it fun making triples and higher on holes? I'm curious because that is when golf becomes not fun for me. Bad golf isn't fun. But you truly find joy is playing bad, I applaud you.

Not all of us are scratch golfers Freddie, so judging us by your standards simply isn't fair.

Not all of us are scratch golfers Freddie, so judging us by your standards simply isn't fair.

Nothing in any of post condemns any level of golfer. I asked a very simple question based on statements made in the thread about golf being about fun. I want to know if it's fun to play bad golf for some people. If it is then, great.

I happen to think the golf is not fun and it's the company, conversation that makes it fun for guys. Which makes me wonder why more lessons aren't taken and I think they should be. Whether it be via YouTube (free), online or in person. But most would rather buy the new club for 3 or 4 times the amount of lessons.

I have nothing against any level of golfer and I have a blast when I play with every level of golfer. The only time I don't have fun, is when I am playing bad. If you or anyone else does, I think that's great. It doesn't make you less of person or golfer in my mind. I could care less if you shoot 100 every time out, if that's your game then that is your game.

The way your post read rubbed me wrong is all. For people who can't devote multiple hours a week to improving, perhaps they have come to grips with their high handicap and dont let it bother them when they have a blow up hole. Why let a bad hole, playing a game, run their outing?

Lessons are a process, and they don't necessarily offer immediate results. There is a lot of extra practice needed to provide a golfer with an sort of consistency.

I play alone a lot so while I suppose I am having fun because of the company I am keeping, I don't think that is it. I am a bad golfer. I still enjoy my time out there because I am enjoying the process of improving. Maybe when I get better my blow up holes will annoy me, but I don't think I will stop having fun if I string a few together.

I'm guilty of buying the latest and greatest. I want to get lessons, but i want to find an instructor that i can gel with and i feel i can develop a long term relationship with to improve my game.

Its tough though because the last instructor i went to wanted to just do a full rebuild and i don't want to have to spend a lot of money going to different instructors one time before finding one i mesh with.

I agree if i play poorly it frustrates me and golf is not fun for me.

Using Tapatalk

I will say I don't enjoy playing poorly. In fact it bothers me. . A close friend jokingly said don't go hang yourself after that bogey recently. Granted it's not that bad, but I don't like making mistakes in the course. Playing golf is a passion for me, and I take my scoring seriously. That doesn't mean I don't want to have fun, joke around, and enjoy the company I'm playing with. I'm fortunate enough to be able to take the time to practice pretty much when ever I feel like doing so It's been like that for a while since our kids are getting older. It wasn't till I started taking lessons, and joining THP that I consistently improve. I'm not an equipment junkie, I don't tinker with my equipment. The majority of the reason is because I'm ignorant to what is really best for my swing, and fear of spending money on things that may no work well for me.

Well put, that is what keeps me coming back, but also frustrates me because I can have that for several holes, some times 5 or 6, and then it's gone again.

rusemydu.jpg

I think the big OEM's have got us wired to want the new shiny clubs every year hoping to add 5 yards and minimize off center distance loss. In the almost 3 years since I've started playing I have bought 3 sets of clubs, 3 drivers, only 2 putters and a crap lob wedge.

But thankfully I am happy with my irons and woods right now and plan to keep th in the bag for at least another year, same with my putter. Going to do new wedges this summer but once their in the bag they will stay.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

So for the guys that don't care about their score and are just out to have fun. Is it the company that is fun? The beer? The food? Or is it fun making triples and higher on holes? I'm curious because that is when golf becomes not fun for me. Bad golf isn't fun. I feel I could have just hung out at a sports bar for the company, drink and laughs. But you truly find joy is playing bad, I applaud you.
I've been thinking about your question.

It is fun to play good golf. It is not fun to play bad golf. However, even when playing poorly it is still a break from family/real life obligations, so there is some element of enjoyment to the experience. I almost always play as a single, but on the rare occasions when playing with friends the social element adds to the enjoyment too. But there's no question that the overall experience is better when playing well.

I've been thinking about your question.

It is fun to play good golf. It is not fun to play bad golf. However, even when playing poorly it is still a break from family/real life obligations, so there is some element of enjoyment to the experience. I almost always play as a single, but on the rare occasions when playing with friends the social element adds to the enjoyment too. But there's no question that the overall experience is better when playing well.

Even not having fun playing bad golf (relative speaking) I could be having less fun doing something else. I try to put everything in perspective. With all that it is definitely better to play good golf.

This thread has inspired me to pull out some sticks that I replaced in the past and see if I've made a mistake switching, so thanks! I played some really good golf (for me) with those sticks, and then hit a rough patch and got it in my head to switch clubs, and maybe I shouldn't have gone that route.

rusemydu.jpg

I think the big OEM's have got us wired to want the new shiny clubs every year hoping to add 5 yards and minimize off center distance loss. In the almost 3 years since I've started playing I have bought 3 sets of clubs, 3 drivers, only 2 putters and a crap lob wedge.

But thankfully I am happy with my irons and woods right now and plan to keep th in the bag for at least another year, same with my putter. Going to do new wedges this summer but once their in the bag they will stay.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

A bit off topic but that's why I personally think that every club review should have a direct comparison to the previous years version, assuming the club has a predecessor. Is it longer? OK. Is it straighter? Good.

Anyone who's seen me swing knows why I don't take lessons. Its tear down and rebuild or nothing for me and i don't have the time to devote to a new swing right now.

Back