Recommendations for Destin, South Walton Beach area

prrc

Reaction score
Handicap
Heading to Destin, South Walton Beach area in 2 weeks for a little vacation. Was wondering if anyone was familiar with this area and could recommend a couple of courses to play. Thanks Tim

Some decent courses there.
Sandestin Resort and Regatta Bay Club are the two I would recommend.

I just got back from a week in Destin. I played Regatta Bay and it is in pretty good shape (always is). Indian Bayou is also in excellent shape, has 27 holes, and is a fun course to play. Kelly Plantation is one of the nicest, but is a little pricey.

I love Kelly Plantation and Regatta Bay. Another place that can be pricey and is a little bit of a drive but worth it to me is Camp Creek

Thanks Guys, I will check them out. Really excited to get away for a week. Owning your own business gets very stressful.

Ok guys we are here. Played kelly plantations yesterday. It was pretty nice. Differant from indiana golf. Looked at camp creek. It is now private. Regatta bay has had some water damage . Still looking for some suggestions. We are closer to Panama city that to Destin. Were are in rosemary beach area. Thanks Tim

If you have access to semi-private military courses the Eglin AFB courses (Eagle and Falcon) are challenging, (used to be better maintained and tougher than the Ken Dye Shalimar Pointe club down the street) and should cost less. With all the elevation changes they don't play like typical FLA courses. They are located in Niceville so you don't have to cross through any military security gates.
Falcon opened in 90s (par 72) 6869 73.8 135 black / 6644 72.7 131 blue / 6182 70.6 132 white
Eagle opened in 20s (par 72) 6567 71.5 130 blue / 6316 70.8 125 white

Last edited:
If you have access to semi-private military courses the Eglin AFB courses (Eagle and Falcon) are challenging, (used to be better maintained and tougher than the Ken Dye Shalimar Pointe club down the street) and should cost less. With all the elevation changes they don't play like typical FLA courses. They are located in Niceville so you don't have to cross through any military security gates.
Falcon opened in 90s (par 72) 6869 73.8 135 black / 6644 72.7 131 blue / 6182 70.6 132 white
Eagle opened in 20s (par 72) 6567 71.5 130 blue / 6316 70.8 125 white

+1 for the Eglin courses. I grew up playing the Eagle. It is actually a different, and much watered down version, of the course I used to play after the renovation 5 or so years ago. Major change were the flattening of greens and bunkers which added significantly to the level of difficulty of the course. Still a great layout though. The Falcon is also a very fun and challenging layout. It was actually a 9 hole course when I was growimg up and that is where we played our home high school matches. The course was expanding to 18 15 or so years ago. The Falcon is the more challenging of the 2 IMO since the Eagle renovation. It has been a couple of years since I have played out there but I believe a civilian can still play 18 with a cart for around $40 or less depending on day and time of day you play.

+1 for the Eglin courses. I grew up playing the Eagle. It is actually a different, and much watered down version, of the course I used to play after the renovation 5 or so years ago. Major change were the flattening of greens and bunkers which added significantly to the level of difficulty of the course. Still a great layout though. The Falcon is also a very fun and challenging layout. It was actually a 9 hole course when I was growimg up and that is where we played our home high school matches. The course was expanding to 18 15 or so years ago. The Falcon is the more challenging of the 2 IMO since the Eagle renovation. It has been a couple of years since I have played out there but I believe a civilian can still play 18 with a cart for around $40 or less depending on day and time of day you play.
Sorry to hear the softened the Eagle course a few years ago. My experience with those two courses is dated but it was a stellar mature course in the day. I used to spend about 12-15 weeks a year down there in 2 week increments doing R&D flight testing from 89-94 and fondly recall when they finally opened the back nine on Falcon. Really utilized some impressive topography and forestland well. It was and I'm sure still is a beast. Played several dozen rounds on each track back in the good old days as well as on Gator Lakes (a much more traditional FL course with it's wooden planked peninsula greens and straight pines) on nearby Hurlburt Field.

thanks for the recommendations. We have a tee time schedule for Wednesday at eglin. Hombre tomorrow.they hold a Q School qualifier there.

Headed to Destin Aug 9 and from what I've been reading about course conditions is that some tracks are in terrible shape whereas others are in great shape. The group I am traveling with is a mixed bag of skill levels...so I need something that is nice, but not so hard that a beginner will become frustrated. I played Indian Bayou and Fort Walton Beach last year (night and day in terms of conditions) and have seen some GREAT deals on GolfNow. I'm intrigued by Eglin and Shalimar, I believe Bayou Beach(??) was the other that caught my eye based on reviews.

Any other suggestions?

Back