Big Bertha Alpha Driver Review

Really enjoying this driver I think it's very solid. The only issues I've had was the stock shaft and I took care of that today. Can't wait to hit it this week and see what this thing can really do. I really think this can be a very long and consistent driver for me. I also was impressed with how many people hit it well at the king with zero swings with it before that weekend.

What shaft did you put in it?

There really have been times where I hit the Alpha and just shook my head when I saw where the ball ended up. It can be crazy long.

I played with some longer guys at the king and I honestly didn't feel like I could take my normal swing but there was a few times I was 50 yards ahead of guys I should not have been that in front of. Gotta find that swing and make it my consistent swing now that I upgraded the shaft. This was also a fairway finder for me. I'm interested to see how much my FIR goes up with this in the bag.

Really enjoying this driver I think it's very solid. The only issues I've had was the stock shaft and I took care of that today. Can't wait to hit it this week and see what this thing can really do. I really think this can be a very long and consistent driver for me. I also was impressed with how many people hit it well at the king with zero swings with it before that weekend.
Seeing Buck unleash with the alpha. That will be awesome! What shaft did you throw in it?

I played with some longer guys at the king and I honestly didn't feel like I could take my normal swing but there was a few times I was 50 yards ahead of guys I should not have been that in front of. Gotta find that swing and make it my consistent swing now that I upgraded the shaft. This was also a fairway finder for me. I'm interested to see how much my FIR goes up with this in the bag.

Thats at the other part. The Alpha is also really accurate. I've put some pretty bad swings on it and have still been in the fairway. When I'm swinging well, it's a lot of point and shoot golf.

I'll ask too... What shaft did you put in?

Project X handcrafted LZ70 6.0 47" lol

Hahahaha, of course you did.

I really thought about cutting it down to 46.5 or maybe 46 but I'd like to see how it performs at the length I'm accustomed too. Plus I can always cut it down later. I've just played 47" for a while now. If I'm spraying I'll prob go to 46" but like I said this drivers pretty accurate so I think I'll be able to control it quite well.

What were the issues with the stock shaft?

What were the issues with the stock shaft?

Just a little to whippy and not heavy enough for my tastes. It's not a bad stock shaft honestly. I also haven't had a stock shaft in my driver in a very long time.

I posted it in the Callaway MC thread but I wanted to make a post in here as well.

Big Bertha Alpha (9°), playing at 10° with a Draw bias, 7g wt in heel, 1g in toe with a Mitsubyshi Rayon Kuro Kage 60, Stiff, Shaft cut to play 44.5"

This bad boy will be breaking heart down in Myrtle in July. I can't wait to get it down there and start destroying some fairways.

So on Sunday morning I was standing on the 18th tee knowing I was -1 on the back 9. I had never shot even par on 9 holes, let alone under par. Needless to say, I was nervous. Final hole was a 370 yard par 4, up hill with trees left in right. I put perhaps the worst swing of the day on my tee shot. Felt awful as soon as I started bringing the club back. I caught it way out on the toe, but the Alpha repented for me. The ball launched low and to the right, but started drawing around to the left. Probably carried it only 210 yards up the hill but it was still moving when it landed and rolled out another 30 yards to leave me in the right center of the fairway with about a 130 yard shot into the green.

I could not believe the balled 1) stayed in play, much less stayed in the fairway 2) went as far as it did. It was truly an awful swing, but the Alpha didn't punish me.

It was hilarious to watch Josh with the Alpha on Sunday. He kept looking down and marveling at how pretty his custom shaft was.

I'm really enjoying the stock shaft. I can get my swing into the 112-114 range and the stock stiff serves me well.

I think I tried every possible combo with my alpha on the range today. Ended up staying with 9.5 +2 neutral with gravity core down. I have a question about the core with lowering the spin by adjusting the core would that affect side spin at all or did what I see when I changed it just equal me making better contact after I changed it. Adjusted it and I was hitting everything straight as an arrow after. Gravity core would prob be the only thing I'd still adjust and see what happens more. Unless it's windy and I lower loft but most days I'm sticking with this set up. +2 was perfect ball flight for me just gotta get used to the new shaft and I see great things with this combo in the future.

I couldn't resist, so I picked up a used alpha and have used it for 2 rounds. Got the 9 deg with the stiff flex stock shaft. My SS is around 95-100 and set the loft at 10, Neutral, 7gram in toe/1 gram in heal, and gravity core down. I tend to hit up on the driver and hit around the face around the middle or higher on the face. My miss is either high on the face or towards the toe.
The trajectory of this is really interesting. A slow climb to a lowish/mid height and a slow decent with lots of roll. This is a very different flight for me and the result is quite a lot more total distance. Only hit outdoors (no trackman etc) but this must be what a low spin trajectory looks like. I think I may be able to get more total distance by flipping the gravity core up since my miss tends to be higher on the face. On 3 holes I was in new spots on the course. One was a par 5 where I was close enough to reach in 2. Played a few holes into the wind and the wind didn't appear to really affect it much.
I was hoping for more distance which I got (around 20 yards) but the big surprise for me was forgiveness and accuracy. On mishits (toe side) distance loss was minimal and more importantly the misses were just off the fairway. Love the sound and feel at impact as well.

I think I tried every possible combo with my alpha on the range today. Ended up staying with 9.5 +2 neutral with gravity core down. I have a question about the core with lowering the spin by adjusting the core would that affect side spin at all or did what I see when I changed it just equal me making better contact after I changed it. Adjusted it and I was hitting everything straight as an arrow after. Gravity core would prob be the only thing I'd still adjust and see what happens more. Unless it's windy and I lower loft but most days I'm sticking with this set up. +2 was perfect ball flight for me just gotta get used to the new shaft and I see great things with this combo in the future.
Buck I didn't see any significant changes to side spin really. In fact altering the core was a difference of 350 total.

Buck I didn't see any significant changes to side spin really. In fact altering the core was a difference of 350 total.

Thank you for replying Kevin. I noticed a big difference but it was in straightness and a little lower flight. I was curious what it was in the driver or if I just was hitting it better after. Like I said my swing is a mess right now. Be getting it on the course hopefully tomorrow if the rain holds off in a scramble and then for 2 rounds Saturday Hope to have some more feedback after the weekend.

Black tie shaft and adaptor on their way to me right now. Gonna put it up against the stock X stiff I'm playing now.

A couple rounds ago I switched my core up to bring launch slightly higher and it seems to be helping out.

Black tie shaft and adaptor on their way to me right now. Gonna put it up against the stock X stiff I'm playing now.

A couple rounds ago I switched my core up to bring launch slightly higher and it seems to be helping out.

Great combo for me. Hope it works for you too.

I had the pleasure of watching sparksjr stirke the ball with his Alpha this past Sunday. What surprised me the most was the sound off the clubface. Even when not hit on the sweet spot it was music to my ears. Disappointed I didn't take a swing with it, as I was caught up in the moment.

You could've hit it anytime you wanted.

Great combo for me. Hope it works for you too.

I used it in my RFX all last year and loved it! I can only imagine how great it will be in the Alpha head.

I had the pleasure of watching sparksjr stirke the ball with his Alpha this past Sunday. What surprised me the most was the sound off the clubface. Even when not hit on the sweet spot it was music to my ears. Disappointed I didn't take a swing with it, as I was caught up in the moment.

You could have hit mine as well

Thank you for replying Kevin. I noticed a big difference but it was in straightness and a little lower flight. I was curious what it was in the driver or if I just was hitting it better after. Like I said my swing is a mess right now. Be getting it on the course hopefully tomorrow if the rain holds off in a scramble and then for 2 rounds Saturday Hope to have some more feedback after the weekend.

Cant wait to see this in action on Saturday

Back