Do you keep your left arm absolutely straight?

robmypro

Reaction score
I am struggling not to bend my left arm on my back swing, and I was wondering how many of you keep it absolutely straight? Seems to be pretty unnatural to me! Also, if you do have a little bend, do you lose a lot of power because of it?

From the face-on videos of my swing I've seen, no, not perfectly straight. From photos and swing analysis I've seen of a handful of PGA players, there's usually a little bend.

no i cant straighten my arm becuase im so jacked it has a natural bend to it. :bulgy-eyes:

You don't have to keep it completely straight on the backswing. However, if you find that your left arm is bending a lot, focus on keeping the right arm straight, that will let you keep extension in your swing. The right arm will eventually fold, but the left arm can stay straighter with that feel.

Russell Henley has quite a lot of left arm bend if I remember correctly.

Forcing your left arm completely straight will create the wrong kind of tension. A little flex will loosen than tension and save some joint shock

Tiger
[video=youtube;FNh6mGTfK-w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNh6mGTfK-w[/video]

Rory

Jack

If you look at the top of the backswing, I think they all keep their left arm really straight.

I watched a show from Titleist Performance Institue and they talked about this. Basically said that if you're less flexible you may be able to get in a better position with some arm bend. I have no clue though. I don't really think about it when I'm swinging, but it's mostly straight.

Kinda? uploadfromtaptalk1400090171017.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Tiger
[video=youtube;FNh6mGTfK-w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNh6mGTfK-w[/video]

Rory

Jack

If you look at the top of the backswing, I think they all keep their left arm really straight.

I can almost promise you that even though their arms look straight, they aren't forcing it straight. Don't lock your elbow.

Also. Freddie mentioned this to me once. You're body is not capable of doing what a tour pro can. If you can get into this position, then we will talk.

ma9uqy7y.jpg

My swing thought is to keep it straight but in reality it's a little bent.

I can almost promise you that even though their arms look straight, they aren't forcing it straight. Don't lock your elbow.

Yeah, definitely not locking the elbow, Blu. But Hogan really emphasized this part is critical, and breaking the left arm saps your power and actually isn't a full back swing. And the really good players seem to do it, so I was curious about others here. Not saying I can get THAT straight, but going to work on it.

I try to keep my left arm as straight as possible. I don't lock my elbow or anything, but from what I'm feeling during my swing there is no bend in my left arm. I will have to try and take video sometime to see if that's actually what's happening or not.

I try to keep it as straight as i can but always a bit of flex in my elbow

I agree with those that have said do not force your arm to be straight as this can cause all sorts of problems. Just keep the arm relaxed and make a full shoulder turn and let the arms do what they may

Forcing your left arm completely straight will create the wrong kind of tension. A little flex will loosen than tension and save some joint shock
That's always been my thinking as well.

As with other swing thoughts, if I keep too much tension in my arms, legs or even hands it becomes too much.

When I get that kind of spinal rotation those pros generate, then I'll worry about keeping my left arm straight. They generate so much more separation between the hips and shoulders that a pro doesn't need to do anything to slow down their upper body and club head from getting back to the ball (which, to a certain extent, bending the left arm does.) For that matter, they're trying to get the club back to the ball as directly as possible to avoid a hook.

Not to say there's anything wrong with appreciating a tour pro's swing, but most of us just can't get to the angles and body positions they can.

Yeah, definitely not locking the elbow, Blu. But Hogan really emphasized this part is critical, and breaking the left arm saps your power and actually isn't a full back swing. And the really good players seem to do it, so I was curious about others here. Not saying I can get THAT straight, but going to work on it.

Don't wrap your arm around your neck. I would just focus on taking very slow swings. Like full swings that will only put a 7i 100 yards or less. Once the left arm starts to breakdown, then you're done. I am working on this as well. It isn't easy. But to try and force you're arm straight is more of a power sap that having a little flex. IMO anyways.

Plus, aren't you hitting 300 yard drives right now anyways? Why change what's working?

Have never had any problem keeping a straight left arm but I started out with lessons at 13 or so and have always been pretty flexible.

Mine bends pretty regularly, but it's not something I tend to think about during the swing either. Going through lessons this winter/spring has given me a new takewaway, which in turn straightened it a bit...but again, it's not something I even consider thinking about before or during my swing.

My left arm is as straight as I can get it with out tension being created in my arm/shoulder. I know if it's breaking down then I'm trying to take the club back too far.

My left arm is as straight as I can get it with out tension being created in my arm/shoulder. I know if it's breaking down then I'm trying to take the club back too far.

This is exactly me too Jason. It's great feedback.

You don't have to keep it completely straight on the backswing. However, if you find that your left arm is bending a lot, focus on keeping the right arm straight, that will let you keep extension in your swing. The right arm will eventually fold, but the left arm can stay straighter with that feel.

I had this tip from and instructor and it works like a charm! thanks for sharing it!

Moved to Swing Tips.

Back