Should wedges be reshafted to match iron set?

cbill

Reaction score
Handicap
15+ / age
Recently I purchased a set of SpeedBlade irons 4 thru PW (Love them!). I am using my older TaylorMade TP xFT wedges with the new set because I hit them very well when pitching and chipping, and do not have any intention of changing them unless absolutely necessary.

I do believe, however, that I may be causing myself some problems with full shots, because my irons have "Senior Graphite Shafts", and my TP xFT wedges have "Steel Wedge Flex" shafts. I make a lot of 3/4 and full swings with both my "Approach" and "Sand" wedges; and I think I would have much more consistency in gapping if I re-shafted those wedges to graphite shafts with flex more similar to the rest of my irons.

I am 75 years old with a driver swing speed of less than 85 mph, and therefore depend heavily on these clubs.

If you have experience in the question of re-shafting wedges to match your iron set, your comments and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Personal preference really.
FWIW, with the shorter length of wedge shafts, I dont think too many will notice a difference.

I play my wedges that are a flex weaker for my 58* but the same in my 52* as my irons

dont think too many will notice a difference.

Thanks for the quick response JB! Did you mean in feel or ball flight (height and/or distance)?

Vey subjective. I like my PW, AW and SW to match my irons both in head style and shaft (for full shots), but I like having a special LW with a wedge shaft (DG Spinner) as I often hit less than full shots with it.

Thanks for the quick response JB! Did you mean in feel or ball flight (height and/or distance)?

I mean across the board. Im guessing by the post, that you are using your wedges mostly for full swings as an extention of your iron set. With the very short shafts, I dont think you will see much of any difference between them.

I play my wedges that are a flex weaker for my 58* but the same in my 52* as my irons

Brianb: Thanks for the info. Very helpful. that supports my thinking.

Brianb: Thanks for the info. Very helpful. that supports my thinking.

Forgot to add why
The reason the 52* is the same as my irons is i use it on more full shots
The reason the 58* is a flex weaker is to help get a little more spin on partial shots

" I like my PW, AW and SW to match my irons both in head style and shaft (for full shots), but I like having a special LW with a wedge shaft (DG Spinner) as I often hit less than full shots with it."

HG: Thanks for the quick response and info.! Matching the iron shafts seems to me the way to go on my 52 and 54.

Forgot to add why
The reason the 52* is the same as my irons is i use it on more full shots
The reason the 58* is a flex weaker is to help get a little more spin on partial shots

Good logic! Thanks BB.

Back