best ball tournament rules help

lilbilly

Reaction score
Handicap
So every year our church/school hosts a 4 player best ball tournament to raise money for the sports program.

I regrettably told the director 2 years ago about selling putting strings and mulligans to raise extra money. The lack of experience on his end with using them (no rules) led to a team saying they were 25 under par last year. 25 under would mean that they birdied all 4's and 3's and eagled all par 5's - AS WELL AS holed out on a hole for an extra eagle, or double eagle.

I was quite annoyed last year when I heard the score, just shook my head and walked off.

I guess the problem was with the putting strings, mulligans and red tees, although I think the putting strings were the issue. I think this group just bought a ton of them and were stringing them together to make shots go in the hole from the fairway. Example would be an approach shot on a par 4 lands within 10 feet of the cup, and I use 5 putting strings. Now we hole out in 2 and have an eagle!

So - I need some help with giving this guy rules to tell everyone to play by with these extra items. I want him to still sell and make extra money, but it's not fair to people who actually enjoy playing for competition, to have a team buy the win with a ridiculous score, when most of the time the winning team is around 12 to 14 under par.

So what do you suggest? No more than one mulligan/putting string be used on a hole? String can't be used to make the previous shot go in?

That sounds like a scramble, not a best ball tournament.

Not playing in the church scramble. That would be my recommendation

The purpose of this scramble is not to foster a competitive environment or force people to elevate their golf games. It's to raise money for the church. Let the church sell putting strings and mulligans and whatever else. Score against par is secondary to fundraising.

Yes, sorry. Scramble would be a better definition.

I played in an 8 in cup tounament last year where the wining score was 20 under we were 9 under and near the back of the pack some times these tounaments people just make up the score they turn in i just try not to let it bug me and just realize that the money is going to a good cause

Not playing in the church scramble. That would be my recommendation

The purpose of this scramble is not to foster a competitive environment or force people to elevate their golf games. It's to raise money for the church. Let the church sell putting strings and mulligans and whatever else. Score against par is secondary to fundraising.

I get that it's about fundraising... however, people still like to play to win instead of finding out someone paid to win.

I spoke with the guy who runs the tournament a couple weeks ago and he was open to adjusting the rules.

I get that it's about fundraising... however, people still like to play to win instead of finding out someone paid to win.

I spoke with the guy who runs the tournament a couple weeks ago and he was open to adjusting the rules.

Just sell mulligans. 3 for $10 and $5 for each additional one. Let them use all of them on a single hole if they want to.

Then they should play somewhere else. I'm sorry for sounding harsh, believe it or not, but this particular scramble should have nothing to do with winning. If somebody or group wants a trophy, let them fork over the bucks to win and help the school and church put up a new swing set.

Otherwise, don't play in this scramble.

Consider limiting it to 2 mulligans, 1 red tee and a single amount of string that can be used on only one putt. Call it a "Package". I've never played in one of these where you buy unlimited amounts of mulligans/string/etc.

But as stated above, their only care for putting on the tournament is to raise/make money. Try other options as well (50/50 drawing, raffle off prizes, putting contest at the end for a prize).

I don't care if Tiger and Phil are on your team....your not finishing 25 under. haha

Golf is just a vehicle to help the charity raise money if it bugs you donate the money you would have paid and then go play a round some where else

Golf is just a vehicle to help the charity raise money if it bugs you donate the money you would have paid and then go play a round some where else

"Sorry kids, you don't get new kickballs this year. We put a limit on the mulligans at the scramble fundraiser. Here, just play catch with some rocks."

"Sorry kids, you don't get new kickballs this year. We put a limit on the mulligans at the scramble fundraiser. Here, just play catch with some rocks."

Remember, they have run the scramble for years now without mulligans and putting strings. Last year was the first year with them. I don't think our kids will be playing without jerseys due to reducing the extras. Besides, from what I can tell, most teams only bought a couple things and one team bought a bunch.

The youth of today do need to be toughened up a bit! :act-up:

I have to agree with Blugold here. It's a fundraiser, the last thing golfers should be worried about here is winning. If a group wants to buy a lot of mulligans and putt strings then let them, that money all goes to the church/school, which is the entire reason for having the tournament to begin with.

I get the whole wanting to play competitively, but a fundraiser event is not the place to do it.

Sorry Kids no bandaids this year just spit on it and rub it with dirt you will be fine

Sorry Kids no bandaids this year just spit on it and rub it with dirt you will be fine

"Christ didn't have band-aids either sally!"

Turn down the wrong road.

The scramble our group puts on sells a maximum of 5 mulligans for $20, or $5 each. I would say limit the string (10 feet) and number of red tee's (4). Otherwise it is what it is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ha, i just played in a charity scramble tournament last weekend. our team shot a 50. tied for first place with another 50 and the next score was a 52. I have seen these tournaments with scores in the 40s. as a team we spent a LOT of extra money on 16 team mulligans and 40ft of string. We won a small bag of beaver nuggets and a lottery ticket.
beaver.jpg

That's the point of a tournament with those adders. to make a lot of money and have fun putting up obscene scores.

In my experience no matter what rules are in place the team with the best eraser usually wins the scramble. It is unfortunate for people who are honest and want the chance to win based on their play. I have learned to have fun and use it as a practice round to hit shots I wouldn't normally try.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

What about 2 sets of scores? Assisted and unassisted. I'd keep the focus on the assisted scores though. Maybe have an extra buy in to be eligible for unassisted score prizes.

Last edited:
For a fundraiser that includes buying string, mulligans and moving up a tee box, score is the least important factor. The event is not about winning. And, even in church events, golfers will "reuse" mulligans", exaggerate string uses, etc. Then, they will justify it by saying that it's a "fun" event.

With that being the case, one option could be making the prizes for 1st, 2nd, 3rd less important, or less expensive. That cost savings can go towards the fundraiser. Another option, is raffle tix for the "nicer" prizes. We do that for our event. The raffle drawing was too time consuming to do after the round. So, our volunteers did the drawings while everyone was playing. Then, made a board which showed what ticket won what prize. Everyone seemed to like that a lot better than sitting around listening to numbers being called.

Back