Compression shorts

Found his email to me.

The advantages and disadvantages of cotton underwear.
It is natual and in most cases completely hypoallergenic. Unlike nylon, polyesther and other synthetic materials commonly used to make performance wearables, cotton does not absorb and hold moisture to become a habitat for fungi. There is also no static electricity that can be found. One of the main drawbacks with cotton is that because it is natural it stretches unless treated properly in terms of care. Stretching of fibers can eliminate much of the benefits and most wearers keep them far too long.

When creating a blend with technical materials, the natural fiber permits air to pass through it and because of that, is cooler to wear than the technical counterparts. Cotton also wicks perspiration away from the skin surface, which keeps the skin drier. This is especially important to women who have a tendency toward developing yeast infections. While many view the technical performance strands as wicking away as well, under multiple layers, it is not feasible without proper airflow to pull as much as the natural fiber.

Natural fibers like cotton have a 20 ratio meaning they can absord 20% of their own weight. Because of this, even when it has carried perspiration from the skin surface, it will not feel wet or damp during physical activity.

Another large benefit is the lack of chemical finishing needed on the product. Those with any form of skin sensitivities have fewer problems with the natural strands when direct comparisons have been made with nylon, lycra and polyesther. The newer models of heavy doses of natural fibers like cotton, combined with small stretching properties in materials with spandex have been quite eye opening in testing.

Natural fiber undergarments that aren't blended with small amounts of spandex to help them maintain their shapes can become stretched quickly. That being said, wet cotton fabric is 30% stronger than it is when it is dry, meaning repeated washings will not cause it to wear out.

The only main disadvantage of cotton underwear is it's tendency to stretch. Marketing has dictated that these facts are incorrect, but our studies internally (being published next year) show otherwise.

Yup. Inline with everything I read as well (mainly while researching bed sheets) haha.

Doctor or not, wet swampy shorts lead to rash and pain. Performance polyester type don't. This only applies to my personal experience.

The ones use are the champion performance with polyester and some spandex from Target. This is a daily wear for me, not like biker type. Just comfort, fit, and long lasting.

Doctor or not, wet swampy shorts lead to rash and pain. Performance polyester type don't

My experience has been completely different along with many that play golf for a living. FWIW, cotton undergarments does not necessarily lead to swampy shorts and certainly not to rash and pain. No more so than any undergarment.

My experience has been completely different along with many that play golf for a living. FWIW, cotton undergarments does not necessarily lead to swampy shorts and certainly not to rash and pain. No more so than any undergarment.

got to go with what works for you. Not to be graphic here, but I was much heavier when I made the switch. Friction played a part :alien: the performance shorts resolved it. Now lighter you may be right, it just works for me now.

got to go with what works for you. Not to be graphic here, but I was much heavier when I made the switch. Friction played a part :alien: the performance shorts resolved it. Now lighter you may be right, it just works for me now.

Same goes for me. Obviously each person may have different experiences and climate will come into play. I know playing in certain fabrics say in Arizona are sure going to affect me differently than when I'm in Vermont. For me cotton is a no no

Skinny people have it easy lol, wet and friction = rub raw. I was 100lbs heavier, but I have stuck with the feel of the performance ones even daily use.

Skinny people have it easy lol, wet and friction = rub raw. I was 100lbs heavier, but I have stuck with the feel of the performance ones even daily use.

Skinny or not wet and friction totally equals raw for me. I guess ive got baby skin (wear two gloves because my hands get beat up) so ive gotta do all I can to avoid the chafing lol

Sorry for the after quote edit there--I meant to say there was a direct cause/effect for me personally regardless of what the experts might write on paper--not that its sure to happen for anyone else and apparently yourself and other have never had an issue.

I am known to sweat in the winter time... it's just part of who I am. I played a round today in temps reaching the high 80s. not bad for around here, but enough to make me sweat quite a bit. My compression undershirt kept my muscles warm and my body cool. My upper half was dry when the round was done, but my lower half, not so much. my cotton underwear and cotton shorts were wet. After 25 years of playing outdoor sports, the only thing I've found that will keep my upper body relatively dry is the "performance" type of wicking shirt. If I wear a cotton undershirt, or even just a single layer cotton t-shirt, it's always soaked when I get done. My wife is all to familiar with the routine of me getting home and stripping out of my sweat-soaked clothes in the laundry room - she even keeps a clean pair of shorts and shirt in there for me to change into. Good woman :). playing disc golf, it has become a running joke to figure out the rorshack patterns that develop on my back... at least until the entire shirt would become solid sweat. In the summer, in a cotton shirt, that *always* happens. Always. Much to my buddies' dismay, their fun little guessing game ended when I switched to wicking shirts for that sport. All of my golf shirts are now the dry-fit kind, too. Some are cotton blend, some are polyester. Adding compression is just another benefit for my muscles on top of the benefits that I already see from wicking shirts. I just don't feel the shoulder and back soreness after 18 holes that I used to feel without compression.

I'm planning to try compression shorts soon, probably for my next round out. I'm happy to see that they are working for some folks and I'm willing to give them a shot to see if they work for me.

I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet but technical fabrics will dry a lot faster than cotton ones which in turn will allow it to absorb more moisture. When I was in the Army I used to wear the Army issued cotton shirts until I found some Under Armour shirts and it was a difference between night and day at how fast they would dry out from working in the heat and humidity in North Carolina or the dry heat of the Iraqi desert. I have also noticed when washing your clothes that the "technical" fabrics dry way faster than anything with cotton in it. I think that is the advantage of moisture wicking polyester fabrics over cotton is that they dry faster which in turn makes you feel dryer and more comfortable.

They get very stinky :sick:

i had an antimicrobial one that was supposed to help with the smell... it didn't really help much. When you're wicking and evaporating that much sweat that quickly I think the smell is just part of the deal. I think it's the leftover solids from sweat on the shirt, not the shirt itself.

It gets not only hot but very humid around here. Not quite Miami or Houston humid, but the air gets pretty thick. I think that's why my cotton shirts never dry out once they get wet. Thankfully the dry-fit ones do.

Back