What is your course policy (refund, rain check, whatever) for rain shortened round

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
My county - once you decide to tee off that's it.
Havnt really gave much thought about it but it would be nice to at least offer a half cost rain check if you didn't play anything more than 9. But I can also understand it was our choice to chance it knowing that rain is in the forecast.

If the course calls you off the course, 100% raincheck. If you're less than half way through your round you get a 100% raincheck.

Usually, if the rain scares you off the course, the customer service policy is to issue a full raincheck. But no refunds.

If it's already raining or you're playing 9, keep on playing cuz you already paid and won't get anything back.
If you pay for 18 and don't complete a side, you get a credit. However, if you make the turn, no credits or anything.

Its a fair policy IMO.

My home course offers a rain check under most circumstances. If it's pouring rain and you decide to go out they aren't as generous. The exception is if lightning comes into the picture.

My course is pretty lenient. If you're around half way or so, you can get your money back or just get a ticket to come back

I'd say rain check is the way to go. Benefits both the golfer and course in my opinion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I should add that my home course does not give refunds due to weather. Rain checks only.

I'd say rain check is the way to go. Benefits both the golfer and course in my opinion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Yea it is a bit of a bummer they do it. I can see if it looks bad out and you go anyway but if its questionable I think a half price rain check if you havnt played more than 9 would be the correct thing, But not they do :(

Courses offer rainchecks? Whoa I didn't know that.

I'm pretty sure that up here courses would all go bankrupt if they tried to be that accommodating.

Most around here will give you a raincheck if you haven't hit the turn.

I honestly don't know because I don't play during the winter months and it doesn't rain in the summer here. In the 5 years I've been a member, I've never been on my home course when it rained enough to even get the cart paths wet.

Pretty much par for the course up here that if haven't gotten to the turn 9 hole raincheck, some courses will do full raincheck if you have played less than four holes.

Around here they'll give you 18 if you haven't made the turn and 9 if you have. And that's provided that the course is unplayable after the rain. Rain check only though, no refund. You can get a refund, but only if you haven't started yet.

We get so many pop up storms with lightening, you just never know if you'll get hit or not so I don't think there is 'at your own risk' involved as far as not offering them. If that was the case no one would ever go out.

If the course calls you off the course, 100% raincheck. If you're less than half way through your round you get a 100% raincheck.

Usually, if the rain scares you off the course, the customer service policy is to issue a full raincheck. But no refunds.
Only time you would be called off is if there is lightning. But just because you are called, doesn't mean you have to come. Learned that at Morgan Cup 2012. You come in on your own, we can't MAKE you come in. We can keep you from going out or back out, but you make your own call about coming back in.

We give a raincheck based on how many holes you play. And because golf is an honorable game, we use the honor system. You tell us how many holes you played and we give a raincheck for the rest. (If you say you played one hole and your tee time was 3 hours ago, we would call you on it though! hahaha)

One thing many golfers at our place don't get, so we are sure to inform them with EVERY raincheck, that it is not a nine hole raincheck (or 6, or 12 or whatever). It shows a dollar amount, and that is the same as cash towards your next 18 hole greens fee. You wouldn't believe how many people don't understand that we aren't going to give you a raincheck for a weekday afternoon round and let you have the same number of holes for free on Saturday morning at 8:00.

Last edited:
If it's already raining or you're playing 9, keep on playing cuz you already paid and won't get anything back.
If you pay for 18 and don't complete a side, you get a credit. However, if you make the turn, no credits or anything.

Its a fair policy IMO.
I think that should be the rule, but unfortunately it's not at my course. I figure if it is raining and you pay to go out, it's all on you. The big boss doesn't agree!

I should add that my home course does not give refunds due to weather. Rain checks only.

That is definitely the norm. I have never gotten a refund for weather.

We give rain checks at my course. If you play at least 5 holes then you get a 9 hole rain check.
If you play less than 13 holes then you still get 9 holes

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

The only time I've ever been rained off the course, we received a 9 hole rain check (we had played maybe 12 holes), and that was a bunch of years ago, so I can't say for sure.

My course allows rainchecks if the course has to close due to weather. Lightning or excessive flooding.

Sometimes if its too backed up theu will give you a raincheck for 9.

This whole season is a wash so far .. Terrible weather . Our guys are real good , if they close the course or lightning .. They raincheck the whole round .. Some good guys in the pro shop

Down here after you hit your opening tee shot you're done if bad weather happens. Hell, at some courses you're done after you give your receipt to the starter.

My county - once you decide to tee off that's it.
Havnt really gave much thought about it but it would be nice to at least offer a half cost rain check if you didn't play anything more than 9. But I can also understand it was our choice to chance it knowing that rain is in the forecast.

If you start an 18 hole round, you can get an 18 hole rain check if the rain starts after you begin play, but before you tee off on the 4th hole (i.e. you can play 3 holes for free). From 4 holes to 12 holes you can get a 9 hole rain check. Once you tee off on 13, all bets are off. If it's raining when you start your round, no refunds.

For 9 hole play, you lose the opportunity for a rain check if you tee off on the 4th hole of whichever side you are playing.

One course we used to play (Middlesex County NJ course) had a rain policy of "once you tee off on #1, there are no rain checks." I don't usually go out in the rain, so I'm unsure of what my current course's policy is.

Rainchecks for sure. I even had a course once let me use the raincheck at the pro shop for merchandise since I was only there 1 day to golf.

No Rainchecks
Unless there is lightning or very high winds my local course does not call you off since this is CA that rarely happens

Back