Golfer demographics

tahoebum

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
This data is for the year 2012. I think the number of golfers in the U.S. that play more than 12 rounds is closer to 25,000,000 Anything that surprises anyone? It's no wonder we are assaulted by ads and marketing - the average income of 95,000 must be higher than most other sports, $100,000 a year puts you in the top 15%. Only 17% are under 40 years old - makes me feel younger but we need to find a way to attract the younger crowd.

Golfer StatisticsData
A golfer is defined as anyone having played an 18-hole round in the last 12-months
Total number of golfers in the US29,000,000
Percent of the population who play golf9.6 %
Percent of golfers who are male77.5 %
Percent of golfers who are female22.5 %
Percent who are married68 %
Percent of golfer who attended or graduated college67 %
Percent who are employed in a white collar occupation50 %
Percent who use the internet on a regular basis90 %
Age Breakdown
Under 305 %
30-3912 %
40-4922 %
50-5924 %
60-6918 %
70+19 %
Household Income / Economics
Average household income of a golfer$95,000
Percent of golfers who have a net worth over $100,00079 %
Percent who own securities83 %
Percent who have life insurance86 %
Percent who own a credit or debit card98 %
Percent who own a home68 %
Golfer Purchasing Plans
Percent who plan to purchase within 12 months
Golf equipment53 %
Automobile47 %
Financial Planning40 %
Computer hardware46 %
Furniture / Home furnishings33 %
Office equipment48 %
Vehicle Spending
Spent $30,000+ on last vehicle56 %
Spent $40,000+ on last vehicle28 %
Percent who own or lease 3+ vehicles32 %
Dining Out
Percent who dine out once a week or more73 %
Percent who spend $3,000 or more annually dining out32 %
Tags:

source?

Here's the source - a sloppy cut and paste the first time.
Statistic Verification
Source: National Golf Foundation, US Census Department
Date Verified: 7.31.2012
Golf is a precision club and ball sport, in which competing players (or golfers) use many types of clubs to hit balls into a series of holes on a golf course using the fewest number of strokes. While the modern game of golf originated in 15th century Scotland, the game’s ancient origins are unclear and much debated. Some historians trace the sport back to the Roman game of paganica, in which participants used a bent stick to hit a stuffed leather ball. One theory asserts that paganica spread throughout Europe as the Romans conquered most of the continent, during the first century BC, and eventually evolved into the modern game. The modern game originated in Scotland, where the first written record of golf is James II’s banning of the game in 1457.

Average household income of a golfer $95,000? I need to find that average household.

95k? Hahaha, I wish.

Average household income of a golfer $95,000? I need to find that average household.

A single billionaire playing 12 rounds a year might skew those numbers

Interesting data, and all very believable. Kind of surprised by the number that 90% use the internet on a regular basis.

This data is for the year 2012. I think the number of golfers in the U.S. that play more than 12 rounds is closer to 25,000,000 Anything that surprises anyone? It's no wonder we are assaulted by ads and marketing - the average income of 95,000 must be higher than most other sports, $100,000 a year puts you in the top 15%. Only 17% are under 40 years old - makes me feel younger but we need to find a way to attract the younger crowd.

Well, there is the biggest issue in bold. 95grand while not a lot of money in many places is nationwide a lot of money in general. People need money and time to golf and need them both together. Some have one and not the other and that doesn't work. Golf s a luxury not needed and the average salary across the nation or the world for that matter is far below that 95k and although may sound like barely anything to a select few is what many only dream of earning. And spare time is also a luxury many people don't have especially nowadays.

But bottom line is that the interest in golf is just not there fro the younger crowd. Much of the younger crowed would rather be home watching Sunday football or doing whatever than taking up golf. But to be honest I think 25 million people golfing is pretty darn staggering amount to me. Think about that for a moment. Have we reached 250 million in the us? I'm not sure but cheeeeze that's like 10% of the whole darn population and if we minus all those millions not able, and the very young, and very old that 25mill is even more a darn staggering amount of people playing. Why do we need a hundred million people plying golf?

Wtf is 95k?? Hahahaha seriously wish I knew what that kind of income felt like

In The San Francisco you need double that just to qualify to buy a home

San Francisco is ridiculous. My wife commutes 150 miles each way to Cupertino and stays in a hotel 1 or 2 nights a week rather than having us live down there. My brother in law just sold his crappy 2 bedroom condo in San Jose for $860,000 and bought a crappy house a few miles away for $1,200,000. My sister-in-law lives in a small 2 bed room condo in the Russian Hill area of San Francisco that she paid $920,000 a few years ago and it has appreciated $200k since she bought it!! I will never get what attracts people to San Francisco.

I do know that an average school teacher in those areas make about $90k, but the average teacher in our school district makes $80k and you can actually buy a nice house here for $300k.

Last edited:
I don't think the 95k is that unrealistic. It is household income, so with a 2 income household it is not that far fetched.

The number that scares me is that 5% of golfers are under 30 number. That does not bode well for the future of our game, unless the average golfer finds the game after the age of 30 I suppose.

Only thing with a higher median age is plumbers.

If something doesn't change, golf and a lot of other things are going to stink pretty soon.

I think $95K is realistic, if there's some adjustment for what a retired person is living on. But the lack of women and young people is uncomfortable.

Only thing with a higher median age is plumbers.

If something doesn't change, golf and a lot of other things are going to stink pretty soon.

I think $95K is realistic, if there's some adjustment for what a retired person is living on. But the lack of women and young people is uncomfortable.

The baby boom generation is what is keeping some of those numbers down. People are procreating less. Something will give, for better or worse.

Nothing really surprises me about those statistics. I don't think that the $95k number is very surprising. Golf is often considered a "rich man's sport" and that is somewhat true. I know there are a lot of initiatives out there to help those who can't afford it by themselves (First Tee program is an example for younger kids), but in general golf is too expensive for a lot of people. Whether it's purchasing golf clubs, golf balls, etc. or whether it's trying to pay for greens fees, it can get very expensive.

I'm not knocking golf at all for that, I'm just saying it's one of the things that I think prevents a lot of people from picking up the sport.

Hahaha, I don't think I've spent 30k on vehicles if I combine them all (I've had 5 or 6) and definitely way under 95k a year.

I'm shocked that people are shocked by the 95K household income.

As mentioned, the number that really sticks out is the percentage by age when looking at the future of the game.

San Francisco is ridiculous. My wife commutes 150 miles each way to Cupertino and stays in a hotel 1 or 2 nights a week rather than having us live down there. My brother in law just sold his crappy 2 bedroom condo in San Jose for $860,000 and bought a crappy house a few miles away for $1,200,000. My sister-in-law lives in a small 2 bed room condo in the Russian Hill area of San Francisco that she paid $920,000 a few years ago and it has appreciated $200k since she bought it!! I will never get what attracts people to San Francisco.

I do know that an average school teacher in those areas make about $90k, but the average teacher in our school district makes $80k and you can actually buy a nice house here for $300k.

My cousin and his wife make north of 180K and still can't afford a house in the city that is why i live in the valley

lol. California sounds awesome to line in....

Who dosen't love High cost of Living, High Taxes at least the weather is nice

It is expensive, but having moved from lower cost of living recently (Eastern, OR) there is a reason people pay so much to live here. GREAT weather, tons of stuff to do including tons of good golf courses...

But as was said previously, Michael Jordan and his what, $30 Mil/year salary makes up for a lot of folks that make minimum wage. There are lot's of millionaires that play this game (how else would Pebble Beach and the like stay in business otherwise?) that make up for a lot us in the lower end of the tax brackets.

Back