I was trying to install a super stroke grip on my putter and ran into problems with solvent, but tried the WD-40 and slid on like a charm.

I will see how it works out in the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Usually the problem with using solvent is not using enough of it. Sopping wet will usually do the trick just fine. WD40 works too but it seems to take longer to dry for me. Last time I used it, I was able to turn my grip from logo up to logo down in the middle of my round and back. Then again, I might have also gone a little heavy on the WD40!

Also, if it's a newer superstroke grip, they're not tapered anymore. Last time I tried to regrip my putter using compressed air on a mid-slim 2.0, it wasn't snug and I could feel the shaft bouncing around inside the grip. Apparently since they're not tapered you may have to build up the bottom with another wrap or two to get it to stay in place. We regripped a friend of mine's the same exact way though and he's had zero issues but I can't remember if he went 3.0 vs the mid slim 2.0

Usually the problem with using solvent is not using enough of it. Sopping wet will usually do the trick just fine. WD40 works too but it seems to take longer to dry for me. Last time I used it, I was able to turn my grip from logo up to logo down in the middle of my round and back. Then again, I might have also gone a little heavy on the WD40!

Also, if it's a newer superstroke grip, they're not tapered anymore. Last time I tried to regrip my putter using compressed air on a mid-slim 2.0, it wasn't snug and I could feel the shaft bouncing around inside the grip. Apparently since they're not tapered you may have to build up the bottom with another wrap or two to get it to stay in place. We regripped a friend of mine's the same exact way though and he's had zero issues but I can't remember if he went 3.0 vs the mid slim 2.0

About 3/4" its missing some grip tape it has a little gap issue but it has some residue buildup in that location so its not as bad as i thought it would be.

ega8emud.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw a kid at Golf Galaxy doing work on some grips the other day and I remember thinking it didn't look like rocket science and now that I've read through this thread I'm just brimming with confidence!

I just bought 13 golf pride CP2 grips on eBay, which should be enough since I only need 12. That way I have one extra in case I cock it up, or I can give it to a friend to try.

Here are the grips I bought:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/13-Golf-Pri...lf_Clubmaking_Products_US&hash=item258b8bf8bc

The free kit it comes with has a tiny little 4 oz bottle of magic juice, that's only four shots! If there is anything I took away from reading this thread it was USE A BOATLOAD OF SOLVENT!! So clearly that won't be enough to do an entire set of clubs right?

I can't wait for them to get here, I have my work bench set up and ready! I already have a vice bolted in but I rotated it for optimal pushing.

Im admittedly a little worried about getting the grips off of the driver, 5wood, and hybrids.

I'll report back this weekend as to wether or not I let fly with the driver on the first tee box.

Thanks everyone for all the info!

In my experience, the "boat load" of solvent issues are for things like the SS grips etc. for regular grips, there should really be no issues for you. After the first one you'll probably go "meh, that was easy!". Good luck with it.

JM

The free kit it comes with has a tiny little 4 oz bottle of magic juice, that's only four shots! If there is anything I took away from reading this thread it was USE A BOATLOAD OF SOLVENT!! So clearly that won't be enough to do an entire set of clubs right?
A trick I use is to put a painter's pan under the grip. It catches the excess solvent. Pour the solvent back into the bottle then use it again on the next grip.

Wd40 for the win.

Awesome! Thanks for the tips gentlemen.

I learned very quickly, when I started regripping my own clubs, that "AIR" is the way to go. Air pressure gets grips off and on in a hurry, with a tight fit.

Just regripped all my clubs. No vice, a tote bin to catch the mineral spirits to keep them dripping on the floor. Worked perfectly. Pretty easy. Only one I really fretted getting perfect with my Super Stroke grip, but that worked like a charm. A job so easy I wonder why I paid folks for it before.

Just regripped all my clubs. No vice, a tote bin to catch the mineral spirits to keep them dripping on the floor. Worked perfectly. Pretty easy. Only one I really fretted getting perfect with my Super Stroke grip, but that worked like a charm. A job so easy I wonder why I paid folks for it before.

yeah it's real easy. I use the sink and lighter fluid and never had a problem.

In my experience, the "boat load" of solvent issues are for things like the SS grips etc. for regular grips, there should really be no issues for you. After the first one you'll probably go "meh, that was easy!". Good luck with it.

JM

Exactly what happened, I breezed through the the 11. Didn't even cock one up so I still have an extra to let a friend try.

A trick I use is to put a painter's pan under the grip. It catches the excess solvent. Pour the solvent back into the bottle then use it again on the next grip.

Thanks for the pro tip, I poured it back into the bottle at the end and I really hadn't used that much to get them all on.

I'm thankful I didn't need to do the putter because I just got a new one. It's a counterbalanced PING Ketsch and the grip is about 30 inches long. I might leave that one for the pros.

yeah it's real easy. I use the sink and lighter fluid and never had a problem.

I already have a vise on a workbench in the garage that I rarely use so this was a good excuse to go pretend I'm a "do it yourself guy" and not the "cock it up yourself guy"that I actually am in reality. But doing it in the kitchen sounds nice, it's air conditioned in there. It's about 95 degrees in the garage right now. Oh well they will dry quicker so I can go to the range when the sun goes down.

I learned very quickly, when I started regripping my own clubs, that "AIR" is the way to go. Air pressure gets grips off and on in a hurry, with a tight fit.

You are right, air is the way to go. Besides being super easy, you can save grips that you take off and reuse them again. Good way to try new grips, buy one and install it. If you don't like it, put your old grip back on.

I am a solvent guy, use the wide grip tape with mineral spirits. Easy as pie to do, also bought a v-groove grip remover tool which helps me save grips off new clubs. Nothing is better than being able to do simple stuff like this yourself, I don't like the idea of some stranger man-handling my clubs.

I've moved towards solvent as well - unless I'm using PURE grips.

You are right, air is the way to go. Besides being super easy, you can save grips that you take off and reuse them again. Good way to try new grips, buy one and install it. If you don't like it, put your old grip back on.

I need to try Air but that means buying a compressor so i think i will wait

Why the change Hawk?

Just peace of mind I guess. I was using painters tape and air before. It's really no more difficult to use two-sided tape and WD40, so I just moved to it.

Just curious, just did all of my irons yesterday with painters tape and air first time really doing it didn't know if you ran into issues and that's why you changed.

Just peace of mind I guess. I was using painters tape and air before. It's really no more difficult to use two-sided tape and WD40, so I just moved to it.

Nope. I had clubs done that way without any issues for quite a long time.

Picked up one of the pure air guns and some grips and redid my irons over the weekend. WOW it was easy with air. and so far loving the results. think i found my new way to regrip from now on.

On some of the grip/club combos especially putters I still use the old method--WD 40 seems like it would cost more than mineral spirits at home depot. Either way just don't get the golf store version of Mineral spirits--huge markup to put the words grip solvent on there.

Ive always used the water activated tape or the solvent tape when doing my regrips.

As for the Air method, is that only for PURE grips, or can you use are when installing any grips?

Ive always used the water activated tape or the solvent tape when doing my regrips.

As for the Air method, is that only for PURE grips, or can you use are when installing any grips?

I have used air quite a bit over the past year with zero issues.

I paid to have my SS 2.0 put on however.

On some of the grip/club combos especially putters I still use the old method--WD 40 seems like it would cost more than mineral spirits at home depot. Either way just don't get the golf store version of Mineral spirits--huge markup to put the words grip solvent on there.

I use this orange oil solvent works great and smells beter than WD40

I have used air quite a bit over the past year with zero issues.

I paid to have my SS 2.0 put on however.

So the PURE install gun can be used on most all grips or are ya'll using some thing else for the install?

Back