Rant #?? .... Use of Range Finders & Slow Play

Am I provoking you into an emotional response?? If so ... take a chill pill ... don't take it so serious. Oh unless you are one of the "IDIOTS" :laughing::laughing:

Far from it, but you'd have to know me to understand that. You should come to a THP event sometime to show off this excellent etiquette you are so proud of.

Am I provoking you into an emotional response?? If so ... take a chill pill ... don't take it so serious. Oh unless you are one of the "IDIOTS" :laughing::laughing:

Posts like this will not be tolerated on THP.

I use Golf Logix on my phone. I don't use it too much on my home course, since I've been playing it since I was a kid. But whenever I go anywhere else, I'm likely to use it (especially if the course doesn't have GPS in the carts). Most courses I play don't have that many sprinkler heads. Really, ask those of us that played at Murder Rock at Branson last year. I was astonished that the course had no yardage stakes/markers (the typical 100-150-200 markers), and it was a huge pain to walk around finding sprinkler heads).

I get what you're saying. No, if you're 350+ out on a par 5, a person probably isn't getting a yardage to lay up to, he needs to just smack it and get as far down the fairway as possible. But I've played with people with laser rangefinders, and they seemed plenty fast with it (granted, they were better golfers). My phone gps takes all of about 4 seconds to give me a yardage. No, I can't specify whether my PW is going to go 110 today, or 112 today. But the yardages I get do tell me what club, and whether to swing average, get after it, or ease up off of it.

~Rock

Far from it, but you'd have to know me to understand that. You should come to a THP event sometime to show off this excellent etiquette you are so proud of.

No problem ... I would love to.

End of my Rant. People are taking it way too serious and I don't want to P*** off anyone or the administrator anymore than I already have.

Word of caution though - I think like 9/10 guys have a rangefinder.

Word of caution though - I think like 9/10 guys have a rangefinder.

yeah ... including myself. but I don't use it on EVERY SINGLE SHOT!

I can't make any promises there. I laser everything to 40 yards. Last time I rode a cart by myself I played in 1:50 though. If that's ok. Is that ok?

I can't make any promises there. I laser everything to 40 yards. Last time I rode a cart by myself I played in 1:50 though. If that's ok. Is that ok?

Wow... you play fast just like me! Would you be my friend?? :laughing:

You never know. Stranger things have happened.

End of my Rant. People are taking it way too serious and I don't want to P*** off anyone or the administrator anymore than I already have.

I think the problem is the way you go off on all your rants. You sound pretty pissed, and sound like you think you're better than everyone else. This may not be the case, but it's the way it comes off. And this one especially, basically you're calling most people here idiots. Because most use range finders in the exact way your describing idiots do.

Incidentally, this happened Wayyyyyy before I had my first beer! Just in case you thought that had a bearing on anything.

Not at all. I don't know if you drink on the course or not. My point is everyone reveals pieces of themselves by what they post, what avatar they choose, what jokes they make, etc. How each individual interprets those pieces can vary.

I think many of us are getting a little:eek:fftopic: I think everyone agrees that we don't enjoy slow play. The OP needed to vent about a particularly aggravating playing partner. Most of us do not agree that Rangefinders/GPS are the problem. They are a tool that can either speed up or slow down the round depending upon the person. One thing I like about THP is I don't normally see people attacking others in posts, yet this post seems to be heading that direction with some responses to the OP leaning on the personal side. We can disagree with someone without attacking him or her.

I hadn't realized I ventured into such a hornets nest within this thread. Geez. Slow play is frustrating and irritating. There are many things that one player does that may make things go faster that another player, doing the same thing emulating good players maybe, that makes it go slow.

Learning to play golf is more than just learning to hit the shots, its learning where to put your bag at the green, learning how to be ready when it's your turn, etc. Sadly there are a hundred articles a week about not coming over the top, but far to few on playing the game in a reasonable speed. The lucky among us were taught these things by our fathers or other golf mentors, too many, from what I see on the course were never taught these things. Some are better than others but nobody likes to play with people that can't figure out how to pace the play to make it enjoyable.

I think the problem is the way you go off on all your rants. You sound pretty pissed, and sound like you think you're better than everyone else. This may not be the case, but it's the way it comes off. And this one especially, basically you're calling most people here idiots. Because most use range finders in the exact way your describing idiots do.

It's all in the interpretation

That is how I read it. You came across as overly angry.

I hadn't realized I ventured into such a hornets nest within this thread. Geez. Slow play is frustrating and irritating. There are many things that one player does that may make things go faster that another player, doing the same thing, emulating good players maybe makes it go slow.

Learning to play golf is more than just learning to hit the shots, its learning where to put your bag at the green, learning how to be ready when it's your turn, etc. Sadly there are a hundred articles a week about not coming over the top, but far to few on playing the game in a reasonable speed. The lucky among us were taught these things by our fathers or other golf mentors, too many, from what I see on the course were never taught these things. Some are better than others but nobody likes to play with people that can't figure out how to pace the play to make it enjoyable.

Very well said!

It's all in the interpretation

And nearly everyone on here seems to be interpreting it the same way. Maybe try expressing it a little differently next time? Unless of course you're ok with the way you come across in your posts.

Fair enough and I'm not worked up :) Internet trolling is always a sore spot with me, but I'll do my best to play the game if people want to play it and he obviously does.

Understand. I generally enjoy your posts. My comment "We can disagree with someone without attacking him or her." was intended for everyone, including the original OP.

And nearly everyone on here seems to be interpreting it the same way. Maybe try expressing it a little differently next time? Unless of course you're ok with the way you come across in your posts.

Remember .... I could care less. Oh wait .... I couldn't care less. I want to be grammatically correct. :laughing:

Remember .... I could care less. Oh wait .... I couldn't care less. I want to be grammatically correct. :laughing:

Well I was actually trying to be polite and help. I see where that gets me.

Back