TaylorMade SLDR Mini Driver Preview

Its very interesting to hear about the success off the deck people are having. Look forward to seeing that at THP Events. Played golf with multiple people from TaylorMade this past week and 2 of them had this in their bag. Neither of them attempted this and both said they carry a separate FW Wood (in this case Stage 2) for shots off the deck.

Both are competent players that hit FW Wood off the deck quite often.

I'm sure I will hit it poorly off the deck.

However, I hit all fairways woods off the deck terribly as well.

That's why I don't pull it for those shots.

I have the 16° mini and I have only managed to hit it from the deck once, the rest of the time I could not get it in the air. You can't sweep it of the deck and have to hit down on the ball to get it in the air, I am more of a sweeper, I stick to my I25 3W for shots off the deck. What I have noticed is that it goes so straight for me and I have had to adjust my aim at set up as I am used to aiming left with my driver and letting it turn back to centre, I did the same with the mini and it stayed left.

For my round yesterday I used it for most tee shots and I broke 90 for the first time and shot a 89, this club is a game changer for me as the driver has been giving me problems recently.

Thanks for all the great info guys.

When I was playing with it, it was more from the view point of "if I had to hit this off the deck, could I?". It wouldn't be my 3 wood of choice for shots off the deck.

I think that I will only hit it from the deck if I have to or can run it up safely I will mostly he hitting my 17* off the deck if it is out of range of that club I should probably be laying up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This. I am in the same camp. It's more of if I have to hit it off the deck I will, but I would want it to be a run up shot or I am so far away I am just hitting it to cover some yardage for the next shot and not needing precision, finding grass a couple hundred yards in front me.

What I find interesting is 2 TaylorMade employees stating they carry a separate FW for shots off the deck when TaylorMade is pushing this product as easy to hit off the tee or fairway. From their website

"And you've got the perfect club for getting home in two on those previously unreachable par-5s. Because everything that makes the SLDR Mini Driver long and accurate off the tee makes it long and accurate off the turf too."

I dont see where it says easy there. I see that it says that it is equal off the tee. Perhaps they are saying "This club is ridiculously tough to play for amateur golfers...And off the fairway is equally difficult as off the tee". :D

Anything this deep would be more difficult than a regular fairway wood off the deck I would think.

I dont see where it says easy there. I see that it says that it is equal off the tee. Perhaps they are saying "This club is ridiculously tough to play for amateur golfers...And off the fairway is equally difficult as off the tee". :D

Anything this deep would be more difficult than a regular fairway wood off the deck I would think.

Think it's any more difficult to play this versus their driver for amateur golfers?

Their line, in its current state, is just not the most easily played line of clubs out there.

Think it's any more difficult to play this versus their driver for amateur golfers?

Their line, in its current state, is just not the most easily played line of clubs out there.

More difficult? Not sure what you mean. Less forgiving? Yes. I mean I don't see how it could not be. Doesnt mean people will not have success with it, especially given the lofts and shaft lengths being used. However if one wants to measure forgiveness, and you take the same shaft and loft in both the mini and regular sized models, there is without a shadow of a doubt that the larger club head will offer more forgiveness in every direction (Toe/Heel & Top/Bottom)

The whole paragraph.

In addition, the SLDR Mini Driver’s relatively short shaft (43.5” compared to 45.5” for the average driver) gives you the added clubhead control necessary to help you hit the ball straighter. There’s more. The Mini Driver’s sole, smaller than a driver’s, is designed to make it easy to hit this club off the deck. That’s why, even though it’s called a SLDR Mini Driver, you’re going to want to replace your 3-wood with it. Then you’ll have a great option for long, accurate tee shots when placement in the fairway is vital. And you've got the perfect club for getting home in two on those previously unreachable par-5s. Because everything that makes the SLDR Mini Driver long and accurate off the tee makes it long and accurate off the turf too.

The whole paragraph.

In addition, the SLDR Mini Driver’s relatively short shaft (43.5” compared to 45.5” for the average driver) gives you the added clubhead control necessary to help you hit the ball straighter. There’s more. The Mini Driver’s sole, smaller than a driver’s, is designed to make it easy to hit this club off the deck. That’s why, even though it’s called a SLDR Mini Driver, you’re going to want to replace your 3-wood with it. Then you’ll have a great option for long, accurate tee shots when placement in the fairway is vital. And you've got the perfect club for getting home in two on those previously unreachable par-5s. Because everything that makes the SLDR Mini Driver long and accurate off the tee makes it long and accurate off the turf too.

That is pretty funny when you think about it. Basically what they are saying is that because the sole is smaller, it works well off the deck. Does that mean the 430 is pretty easy (relatively speaking) to hit off the deck too, because the standard size is 460?

That is pretty funny when you think about it. Basically what they are saying is that because the sole is smaller, it works well off the deck. Does that mean the 430 is pretty easy (relatively speaking) to hit off the deck too, because the standard size is 460?
Exactly, are they saying it's easier to hit off the deck over the driver? Or just easy to hit off the deck? Honestly I didn't think it is that hard to hit off the deck, but like I said before also, I will only be hitting it off the deck when I have no hazards in front me and there is good room for error. I ordered a 17* 3w SLDR for most shots I would hit off the deck if a fairway wood is needed.

Exactly, are they saying it's easier to hit off the deck over the driver? Or just easy to hit off the deck? Honestly I didn't think it is that hard to hit off the deck, but like I said before also, I will only be hitting it off the deck when I have no hazards in front me and there is good room for error. I ordered a 17* 3w SLDR for most shots I would hit off the deck if a fairway wood is needed.

Good question. My honest opinion is that they are purposely hitting a gray area in the marketing, which makes sense. I think comparitively against the driver, it would be a piece of cake to hit off the deck. Comparitively vs a regular FW wood, I think it is a challenge. Heck, I think most very deep FWs are a challenge off the deck.

Good question. My honest opinion is that they are purposely hitting a gray area in the marketing, which makes sense. I think comparitively against the driver, it would be a piece of cake to hit off the deck. Comparitively vs a regular FW wood, I think it is a challenge. Heck, I think most very deep FWs are a challenge off the deck.

I think all fairways are a challenge off the deck. It's a very difficult task for most golfers, except those of the internet variety. I consider myself a decent golfer, and hitting a fw from the deck is just not something I can rely on during a round on a consistent basis.

Agree It is much harder off the deck than a normal FW but easier than a driver off the deck

I think most golfers will have better success with this as a tee only FW it dose remain playable off the deck for a small % of golfers under certain circumstances off the tee it is more forgiving than a standard 3w but less than a driver

I will use mine for distance control off the tee mainly i hit 3w 3-6 times a round depending on the course and conditions off the tee i could put a higher lofted driver in the bag also but this club allows a little flex ability if i need it off the deck which for me is once every couple of rounds

This is my biggest draw to the mini, I love the idea of going driver, mini, fairway, hybrid. Basically 4 different woods all with their own purpose.

I love that idea too, though my driver is just there to look pretty. Next year when PING offers us normals a G25 with racing stripes then I'll get one and start swinging the driver again.

Its very interesting to hear about the success off the deck people are having. Look forward to seeing that at THP Events. Played golf with multiple people from TaylorMade this past week and 2 of them had this in their bag. Neither of them attempted this and both said they carry a separate FW Wood (in this case Stage 2) for shots off the deck.

Both are competent players that hit FW Wood off the deck quite often.

I'm not currently enrolled in any THP events but it is something I would like to do soon. This website has changed my life! I will definitely be involved for the next one located in Vegas. If you happen by this way anytime before that it would be an honor and a pleasure to buy you a round. I use it off the deck often so you would see it.

I have the 16° mini and I have only managed to hit it from the deck once, the rest of the time I could not get it in the air. You can't sweep it of the deck and have to hit down on the ball to get it in the air, I am more of a sweeper, I stick to my I25 3W for shots off the deck. What I have noticed is that it goes so straight for me and I have had to adjust my aim at set up as I am used to aiming left with my driver and letting it turn back to centre, I did the same with the mini and it stayed left.

For my round yesterday I used it for most tee shots and I broke 90 for the first time and shot a 89, this club is a game changer for me as the driver has been giving me problems recently.

Congratulations on breaking 90! I have the same driver as you and struggle with it as well. Currently it's on restriction and it's not allowed out of the bag on the golf course. Now that I have the mini I don't even need it. That sucks you're not seeing success with it of the deck but keep at it, I had one of the shots of my life today with it.

I had 225 to get home in two on a par 5 today and my ball was just in the right rough but sitting up perfectly just inviting me to have a go. I would have to hit a cut to get around a tree but it would be safe to miss left if it went straight, right is bad there is a canyon that runs alongside the hole on the right. So since I need to hit a cut my 5deep would not get there, it would have to be the mini. I thought about hitting wedge to the left center and wedging it in to get on in reg but after the other three players had hit their layups the green was clear. I had made up my mind, I pulled the mini.

The crowd reaction when I pulled the headcover was classic. My friend laughed at me.

When I hit the shot I was worried because I pushed it slightly and it only missed the tree by a foot or two. After it cleared somebody behind me said great shot. It was high and fading gently towards the green. We all ran to the center of the fairway like Sergio Garcia to see it land about pin high in the right green side bunker about 20 feet from the cup. I was able to blast it out with the smart sole S to about 8 feet. I lipped the birdie putt out and tapped in for par, just an ordinary par. But I will remember that hole for the rest of my life!

I think all fairways are a challenge off the deck. It's a very difficult task for most golfers, except those of the internet variety. I consider myself a decent golfer, and hitting a fw from the deck is just not something I can rely on during a round on a consistent basis.

For most it is a challenge i am able to do it some days and not others depending on my swing most of the time i choose to hit a hybrid and lay up

Just an honest question, reading the conversation in here about the mini, what are the benefits to going with the mini over a regular SLDR with a shorter shaft and lofted up?

I'm not trying to question anyone's choices, just trying to figure out the niche for this club.

Just an honest question, reading the conversation in here about the mini, what are the benefits to going with the mini over a regular SLDR with a shorter shaft and lofted up?

I'm not trying to question anyone's choices, just trying to figure out the niche for this club.

Versatility and forgiveness over a standard 3w i was replacing i am looking for distance control not to be too long a SLDR driver 14* with a shorter shaft would have worked but i can't hit a driver off the deck to save my life if i had to

To me this isn't even close to the SLDR driver. I played the driver for about a month and struggled to get it high. This is night and day difference. I don't even think a shorter shaft would have helped.

To me this isn't even close to the SLDR driver. I played the driver for about a month and struggled to get it high. This is night and day difference. I don't even think a shorter shaft would have helped.

Did you play it at the same loft?

I think TM did a horrible job of outing this one as a driver replacement, when the should have focused on touting it as a beefed up 3W, such as the 3deep, 5deep, etc

I think TM did a horrible job of outing this one as a driver replacement, when the should have focused on touting it as a beefed up 3W, such as the 3deep, 5deep, etc

While I agree with you, they will now be able to tout "Best selling Driver Family" that has been marketed by another company the last few months.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks for the awesome conversation guys. This is a lot of fun to discuss.

While I agree with you, they will now be able to tout "Best selling Driver Family" that has been marketed by another company the last few months.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks for the awesome conversation guys. This is a lot of fun to discuss.

Why do you think they released this one?

Is it being used on Tour?

Why do you think they released this one?

Is it being used on Tour?

Not sure, but despite me not being a big fan, I like the release. I think options are a good thing and with the Deep series by a rival doing fairly well, it was a solid move.

Did you play it at the same loft?
Driver was 10.5 adjusted up and down, never clicked with me. I don't think I have played a worse driver for me, I would rather hit the old square Nike I started golf with over SLDR. Granted I have swung the SLDR since then and had better results, but not enough to warrant a purchase. Tried the 430 last week when I picked up the mini and had better results to when I owned the SLDR.

It would be le be interesting to see the differences between a SLDR 12 and the mini 12 using the same shaft.

Not sure, but despite me not being a big fan, I like the release. I think options are a good thing and with the Deep series by a rival doing fairly well, it was a solid move.
When this was released, my initial thought was to rival the Deep series.

Back