Mark_UK

Legal Alien
Reaction score
Handicap
NCGA 12.8
Just watching the recap of the PGA senior championship on Golf Central. Monty doesn't change does he!!! Showing him shaking his head at Langer playing a little slow (I thought they were mates), squaring up to hecklers behind the ropes!!! He doesn't get it does he. This is the reason why he has never won a major and probably never will (on the champions tour). A great player, but a total idiot!!!

Mark Crossfield calls him Mrs. Doubtfire. That cracks me up. He's not much fun to watch either. Would really like to see Miguel Angel Jiminez play more though.

In his defense, I followed Langer for 9 holes last year at the Senior PGA Championship. He is painfully slow.

I saw this as well. I can't say I am or am not a fan, but people have a reputation at that age for a reason.

Just watching the recap of the PGA senior championship on Golf Central. Monty doesn't change does he!!! Showing him shaking his head at Langer playing a little slow (I thought they were mates), squaring up to hecklers behind the ropes!!! He doesn't get it does he. This is the reason why he has never won a major and probably never will (on the champions tour). A great player, but a total idiot!!!
Bravo! Well said.

and he could be such a big star. He was on golf channel and is very engaging and seems fun, but my goodness, on the course he is the person people enjoy hating.

I never cared much for Monty, but I will listen to him a bit on the Golf Channel.

Totally agree.
i followed him around most of a round a few years back on the euro tour.
his rhythm was amazing, driving was so accurate, beautiful iron play, average short game ( for a top player )
but on one tee I clapped him as he walked on, not many people we're there, and he looked at me like he wanted to deck me with his driver.
I hate seeing him representing Europe on the box...

I saw this as well. I can't say I am or am not a fan, but people have a reputation at that age for a reason.

I agree, he has been disliked for as long as I can remember him. I really don't recall many players that fans dislike and among that handful Monty is at the top of the list. Sad legacy for such an accomplished golfer.

Last edited:
When I hear him talk on TGC or when doing analysis, I really like him. However, his demeanor on the course just puts me off.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk.

Langer is painfully slow & Monty wears his emotions on his sleeve, always has, always will. I am happy for Monty he is too good a player never to have won on U.S. Soil & he finally got a major... Good for him

Good Old Monty

Totally agree.
i followed him around most of a round a few years back on the euro tour.
his rhythm was amazing, driving was so accurate, beautiful iron play, average short game ( for a top player )
but on one tee I clapped him as he walked on, not many people we're there, and he looked at me like he wanted to deck me with his driver.
I hate seeing him representing Europe on the box...

I've had a couple of first hand experiences of Monty close up, both at the PGA. One occasion where he was playing with Anders Hansen. I was on the tee when the guy next to me jingled a bit of change in his pocket as Hansen was about to tee off (I didn't hear the change by the way, neither did Hansen LOL). Monty fired a death stare at me! It was only when he noticed I didn't have my hands in my pockets but the fella next to me did that he realigned his death stare.
Another time, stood behind the tee, he hits a good shot that just trickles off the fairway into the first cut. Queue a tirade of expletives from his mouth. As he walked off, all the little kids start asking their parents what his various profanities mean. The marshall on the tee ended up calling John Paramor to the tee and reported him LOL.
Friends visited Valderrama for the season ending Volvo Masters the year Monty and Langer shared the title as darkness ended the playoff. My friends witnessed Monty walk up the the ropes and stick his putter inches from an old lady's face as he bollocked her for making a noise LOL.
As I said, good old Monty. Despite him being a complete idiot, I was glad to see him finally win on US soil and finally pick up a major yesterday.

If he's gonna be an ass to slow players I'll gladly overlook the rest and root for him.

I like Monty on TGC though I don't know anything about his on-course demeanor. The point I want to make is I don't care for the new designation of a player as a "Major Winner" when they win one on the Senior Tour.

I actually thought it was pretty cool for him to finally get a major

I've had a couple of first hand experiences of Monty close up, both at the PGA. One occasion where he was playing with Anders Hansen. I was on the tee when the guy next to me jingled a bit of change in his pocket as Hansen was about to tee off (I didn't hear the change by the way, neither did Hansen LOL). Monty fired a death stare at me! It was only when he noticed I didn't have my hands in my pockets but the fella next to me did that he realigned his death stare.
Another time, stood behind the tee, he hits a good shot that just trickles off the fairway into the first cut. Queue a tirade of expletives from his mouth. As he walked off, all the little kids start asking their parents what his various profanities mean. The marshall on the tee ended up calling John Paramor to the tee and reported him LOL.
Friends visited Valderrama for the season ending Volvo Masters the year Monty and Langer shared the title as darkness ended the playoff. My friends witnessed Monty walk up the the ropes and stick his putter inches from an old lady's face as he bollocked her for making a noise LOL.
As I said, good old Monty. Despite him being a complete idiot, I was glad to see him finally win on US soil and finally pick up a major yesterday.

Perfect summing up... Lol thanks

I enjoy watching Colin Montgomerie play.

The point I want to make is I don't care for the new designation of a player as a "Major Winner" when they win one on the Senior Tour.

I'd agree with that. I should have clarified by saying I was glad to see him win a major even if it's on the champions tour. The majors there don't hold anywhere near the weight of the 4 regular majors. I would still class Monty as the best player to have never won a major championship.

Back