Rhyno

Reaction score
Handicap
Par 3s have always troubled me, it seems like no matter what I do I struggle.

Today was the first day I hit a green on the par 3s at my home course, I actually hit them both today and made Par and Bogey.

I decided today to club up and take an easy swing. Normally I try to kill it and usually end up coming over the top and missing left.

I was just curious how others go at par 3s.

I try to treat it like any approach shot. Take enough club and aim for the center of the green. Goal is always to get it on.

I just try to get out with a par any thing else is a bonus

I try to treat it like any approach shot. Take enough club and aim for the center of the green. Goal is always to get it on.

Yep same here I just try to get on and ultimately walk away with par. I hate blowing up a par 3

I go for the pin on almost every hole. Some days I plat away from them but I take enough club and swing easy. On short holes depending on the greens I'll take a club that I know can get there and hit the hell out of it and try land the ball past the pin and spin it back. Different days and holes etcleads to different strategies.

I'm with Erik, my goal is to hit the green, I feel like if I can get on the green, I can get out of there with two putts

Par 3 strategy

I avoid a 5.

If I can go pin hunting great. If it's tucked in a sucker location, I aim for a fat part.

If I feel that there is a legitimate shot at the pin, I will go for it, if there is trouble or a tucked flag, I aim for the center and try to make along putt.

Swing easy, Usually if I am short I am OK with it, Chip it close and hopefully no worse than 2 putt.

Tucked pin, pin heavily protected by bunker or water, find the best trouble free landing and place one there.

Just try to hit the green, treat it like any other approach shot.

Depends on the length. If it's under 160 I am going right at the pin. If it's longer I am just trying to hit the green, though it's usually going to be short.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Center of the green for me, there are a few times I'll go pin hunting, but otherwise I'm playing for a 2 putt par, but hoping for a little bit shorter birdie putt.

I try to not worry too much about the pin location unless it's a pretty clear shot. Just try to get on so I give myself a chance at a good score.

Job one for me is to always hit away from hazards. There's just no excuse for taking a penalty or hitting in a bunker when you get to put it in a tee.

Enough club for center of the green

If it's anything more than a 9 iron into the green, I usually won't go pin hunting. Par is always a good score on a par 3.

Hit green and manage for a miss. A long par 3 on my home course is protected on the right side by big bunkers. I aim down the left and allow for a fade to take me to the middle of the green. Even with a back right pin I'm playing to the middle for a two putt par.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Par 3s have always troubled me, it seems like no matter what I do I struggle.

Today was the first day I hit a green on the par 3s at my home course, I actually hit them both today and made Par and Bogey.

I decided today to club up and take an easy swing. Normally I try to kill it and usually end up coming over the top and missing left.

I was just curious how others go at par 3s.

To the bold above I would ask. Firstly I assume you meant club down to a longer club:)
But anyway, Do you also do this for approach shots from similar distances? Or just par3's ?
Either way (if I may, I can say this due to a ton of recent struggles with tempo and lessons etc..) why try to kill it? Just swing the same and let the club do its job. That's why we have different clubs. Perhaps the club/s you used should be the club for the distances whatever they were.

for me a par 3 is just like any other approach with the bonus of being able to use a tee if I want to. strategy doesn't change one bit.

To the bold above I would ask. Firstly I assume you meant club down to a longer club:)
But anyway, Do you also do this for approach shots from similar distances? Or just par3's ?
Either way (if I may, I can say this due to a ton of recent struggles with tempo and lessons etc..) why try to kill it? Just swing the same and let the club do its job. That's why we have different clubs. Perhaps the club/s you used should be the club for the distances whatever they were.

I don't do this with approach shots, but rarely are my approach shots at those distances, both par 3s are at a weird distance for me.

I don't know what the difference is, but I tend to pull my tee shots (coming over the top and sending it left) I don't have this issue on approach shots even when I go after it.

I always go for the middle of the green on par 3s, so if I hit it a little left or right then I'll still be on the dance floor. That makes it harder to get birdies but it makes it harder to get bogeys. I also swing at about 85% like I do with all other shots.

I don't do this with approach shots, but rarely are my approach shots at those distances, both par 3s are at a weird distance for me.

I don't know what the difference is, but I tend to pull my tee shots (coming over the top and sending it left) I don't have this issue on approach shots even when I go after it.

Being on that tee box does strange things to me as well. I would make a lot of mental errors. I'm no scratch golfer, but I started doing quite a bit better on par 3s when I started looking at it as an approach shot. This includes not using a tee. Something about that tee makes me swing harder than needed.

I have never treated par threes any differently than an approach shot of equivalent distance. I make the decision as to how I would like to play the hole just as I would from the middle of a fairway on a par 4. Nothing changes in the mindset or routine.

Well first I will take middle of the green anyday ( on any hole really ) . But if I'm really on , I love working the ball into par 3 pins .. and love pin hunting on any distance par 3 . On for me would be chipping / pitching and putting is going well , and I'm not 50 over par for the round but maybe just a few shots over . A cushion where if I go pin hunting and gamble , I know the round won't be completely ruined as my short game might still get me a par if I miss it . If I'm struggling in any areas , than I'm playing for a par for sure

Just try and get it on the green.
Hell, I've laid up before

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Back