Big Bertha Alpha Driver Review

Snagged a 9* Big Bertha Alpha w/ an Oban kiyoshi white 65 stiff from Callaway Pre-Owened, should be here tomorrow

I feel Callaway made a big mistake with the Fubuki shaft as stock. I think a White Tie would have been a better fit for most. I just never loved the Fubuki for my swing.
Maybe it doesn't work for some people but calling it a big mistake is a but much. I've hit more 330 yard plus drives with my Alpha and stock Fubuki ZT than I've hit since I was much younger and swung much harder.

War Eagle from my iPad

Maybe it doesn't work for some people but calling it a big mistake is a but much. I've hit more 330 yard plus drives with my Alpha and stock Fubuki ZT than I've hit since I was much younger and swung much harder.

War Eagle from my iPad

This is directed more towards all manufactures...but at $500 for a single club that I'll only use at most 14 times a round, I should be choosing my shaft at no charge. Of course within reason.

Big Bertha Alpha Driver Review

This is directed more towards all manufactures...but at $500 for a single club that I'll only use at most 14 times a round, I should be choosing my shaft at no charge. Of course within reason.

I can't agree with that. Cost is determined by a lot of things. Plus, there had to have been some other no charge shaft options with the Alpha.

I can't agree with that. Cost is determined by a lot of things. Plus, there had to have been some other no charge shaft options.

Why?

For me to go through Callaway and get the black tie would have been around $700. I'm the only one who finds that a little crazy? Call me cheap if so.

Well, I got a round in finally with the Black Tie installed and wow what a difference! I was getting a great boring trajectory and it totally eliminated the misses left. However, I can slice the heck out of it! I have to remember to take a nice controlled swing and let the club do the work. I love the feel of the head and black tie combo. I feel Callaway made a big mistake with the Fubuki shaft as stock. I think a White Tie would have been a better fit for most. I just never loved the Fubuki for my swing.

I most not be the norm, I actually love the fubuki

Why?

For me to go through Callaway and get the black tie would have been around $700. I'm the only one who finds that a little crazy? Call me cheap if so.

Considering Callaway is an OEM, they cannot commit to buying quantities from every shaft manufacturer for every shaft.

Plus. SLDR TP gets you a black tie for $500.

Tour Green is a no charge upgrade for the Alpha.

I most not be the norm, I actually love the fubuki

I'm glad people like it and it works. If that's what Callaway found to be the best for the majority of people, then that's what matters.

Considering Callaway is an OEM, they cannot commit to buying quantities from every shaft manufacturer for every shaft.

Plus. SLDR TP gets you a black tie for $500.

I hit a couple shots with the SLDR. There's a reason it's not in my bag. Not bashing it though. You and others love it and I'm excited to see in Hilton Head.

PS - the SLDR mini is on my radar for this very reason.

I'm glad people like it and it works. If that's what Callaway found to be the best for the majority of people, then that's what matters.

I was serious about being in the minority, I know many have switched shafts. Honestly if I got on a monitor I am sure a different shaft might be better for launch and carry, but I am all about accuracy now, and the alpha with fubuki finds the fairway for me

I was serious about being in the minority, I know many have switched shafts. Honestly if I got on a monitor I am sure a different shaft might be better for launch and carry, but I am all about accuracy now, and the alpha with fubuki finds the fairway for me

Don't chase the numbers. I'm a fan of real world results. Numbers on the monitor showed the Fubuki to be great. Real world though was a different story. I hit some serious bombs with the stock setup. But my lack of consistency made me look back to a shaft I've loved since getting fit last year.

After one round, I'm much more confident in the black tie. Just me though. Some think the black tie is like rebar. I happen to love the feel.

I see both sides of the stock/no upcharge shaft discussion. The Zeta is a premium shaft, and I'm sure there was a lot of testing to decide on it. However, having offered the Black Tie as a stock option in last year's RFX makes charging additional for it this year seem a little odd.

I loves the Black Tie line, but have found some better combinations this year.

My Bertha has the Fubuki ZT from the Alpha in it and I love it. I'm a total shaft ho and I have no desire to tinker with it at all.

My Bertha has the Fubuki ZT from the Alpha in it and I love it. I'm a total shaft ho and I have no desire to tinker with it at all.

Same here! Can't be any happier with the combo!

Tap tap taparoo

I hit the range and played 9 yesterday with bertha 9° set to +1 N, apw at neutral, and shafted with ahina 70x. Wow! It was unreal how good that set up is for me

I don't think paying a premium for another shaft is crazy I hated the black tie last year in the extreme. Personal preference and although I did like the fubuki I usually tinker a little to find something that fits my swing better. Stock shafts usually aren't a great fit. So I bought a $350 shaft and I'm loving the combo but I also dont expect Callaway to let me upgrade my shaft to a much more costly option cause that's what fits me. There's a good amount of other free options you can get when you order.

I don't think paying a premium for another shaft is crazy I hated the black tie last year in the extreme. Personal preference and although I did like the fubuki I usually tinker a little to find something that fits my swing better. Stock shafts usually aren't a great fit. So I bought a $350 shaft and I'm loving the combo but I also dont expect Callaway to let me upgrade my shaft to a much more costly option cause that's what fits me. There's a good amount of other free options you can get when you order.

Which shaft are you using now in your driver buck and what option did you get it in out of the box? Did you use the bba at all with the stock shaft?

Tap tap taparoo

Which shaft are you using now in your driver buck and what option did you get it in out of the box? Did you use the bba at all with the stock shaft?

Tap tap taparoo

i got the stock shaft in stiff..... i used it for #theking i actually didn't Hate it i just wanted something that fits what i personally prefer more and something that i can get a little more out of with my swing.... I just got the Project X Handmade LZ70 6.0 theres a few reasons why i upgraded shafts.... Swing Speed, looking for a little lower spin, i like a heavier shaft option around 70 grams is my favorite and i play a 47" driver so the Fubuki will sit until i sell it or decide to sell the Alpha but i don't see that happening anytime soon. I actually miss keeping a driver in the bag theres been to much change the last few years for several reasons but i really LOVE this combo and i'm hoping it will stay there for a few years.

got my Alpha today, hope to get to the range tomorrow and hit a few

I see both sides of the stock/no upcharge shaft discussion. The Zeta is a premium shaft, and I'm sure there was a lot of testing to decide on it. However, having offered the Black Tie as a stock option in last year's RFX makes charging additional for it this year seem a little odd.

I loves the Black Tie line, but have found some better combinations this year.

I see your perspective, but all of the OEMs have to make some decisions on what shafts they're going to buy in bulk in any given year.

In the case of the Black Tie, it could be that they found it wasn't used as much as they thought last year, or that they were able to get what they consider a similarly profiled shaft at a better price.

i got the stock shaft in stiff..... i used it for #theking i actually didn't Hate it i just wanted something that fits what i personally prefer more and something that i can get a little more out of with my swing.... I just got the Project X Handmade LZ70 6.0 theres a few reasons why i upgraded shafts.... Swing Speed, looking for a little lower spin, i like a heavier shaft option around 70 grams is my favorite and i play a 47" driver so the Fubuki will sit until i sell it or decide to sell the Alpha but i don't see that happening anytime soon. I actually miss keeping a driver in the bag theres been to much change the last few years for several reasons but i really LOVE this combo and i'm hoping it will stay there for a few years.

I see. Sounds to me though you found your cannon! Did you by chance try the alpha or the regular big Bertha with a black tie stiff flex?

Tap tap taparoo

I see. Sounds to me though you found your cannon! Did you by chance try the alpha or the regular big Bertha with a black tie stiff flex?

Tap tap taparoo

You couldn't pay me to use a black tie again. Worse shaft I've ever used in my entire life. Hated everything about it. Had it in my Xtreme last year.

You couldn't pay me to use a black tie again. Worse shaft I've ever used in my entire life. Hated everything about it. Had it in my Xtreme last year.

You could pay me...

Anyone?

Please.

I also hate the Black Tie, but I have seen a few guys like Sparks who play it very well and hit a nice high ball with it.
I usually give stock shafts a quick couple weeks to prove their performance before i swap to something i know i like but the Fubuki Zeta Tour in X flex is great shaft.

Back