TaylorMade SLDR S Metalwoods Preview

The main issue that you will have with the S and custome shafts is the S is a .350 hosel so any custome shaft will have to be Shimed in or use one of the rumored .335 hosel heads there are currently no Custom shaft options in the pull downs on the website

Well, TM is allowing us their full TP shaft catalog, so either way I am summing its not an issue.

Well, TM is allowing us their full TP shaft catalog, so either way I am summing its not an issue.

They must be using the .335 heads as most OEM's don't like shims

Off topic: I wish all manufacturers used .335 heads.

It would make things alot easier when switch shafts it had to buy a Mini TP to make sure that if i want to change shafts in the future i could plus it is the only one with X flex option

I think I am going to end up with a 14° in this driver. I was only able to hit the 10° and 12° today, and the 12° definitely gave me better numbers over the 10°.

SLDRs MetalWoods

Last Friday I was able to get out prior to heading to the campsite for the holiday weekend. I had a full SLDR S bag out with me and wanted to share some numbers and thoughts from the round. Here are my stats from the round - 79(+7), 6 FIR, 8 GIR, 29 Putts. All together a pretty good round. But here I’m going to dive in to the numbers a little deeper with regards to the SLDR S metalwoods.

Tee Game - With the driver it was awful. Overall numbers are 6/14, however with the driver I was 1/7 with the 1 being on the 18th. That drive was perfect, had a good shape to it, good height, and was long. Outside of that 1 shining moment it was a struggle with the driver. Had 1 miss off the toe that went right, but the other 5 were all left. Some way left. Now I know not all of that can be blamed on the clubhead, heck a bad swing is a bad swing. However the confidence with the club off the tee is just not there. It was a day I needed a little bit of help and I got nothing. Leading up to I was +8 on the day(birdied 18), and +5 on the day with holes I was hitting driver. EOD I was +7 on the day with +4 on driver holes. Other holes I used my 3w/5w/3HY and was a combined 5 of 6 with FIR.

Off the Deck - I think the fairways are easy to hit off the turf. They remind me of the jetspeed line in that fashion. Really get the ball up quick(for me) and usually have plenty of oomph behind them. Perhaps not the most forgiving fairway on the market, but I don’t think it’s a bad option. The shallow face is a look that I welcome from the deck, even if it makes it a little more nerve wracking off the tee.

Hybrid - This club kind of has me baffled. I’ll be the first to admit, I have not liked a TaylorMade Hybrid in a long time. I have this in a 19, and I want to try one in a 22. I think more loft will help me with the hybrid. #loftup still applies here right? I just don’t seem to get the elevation that I do with my other hybrids in the same loft. So this one is still a little bit of an incomplete review because I need to spend more time hitting it.

One thing I will add for the entire lineup is that I really like the silver finish. I think it’s better than the white options and better than the darker crown of the SLDR. I also like how they used a black face to contrast with the silver crown.

Good info Dean. Were you getting the yards from the fairway to make the driver something you can avoid using most of the time?

Good info Dean. Were you getting the yards from the fairway to make the driver something you can avoid using most of the time?

I tried that a few times with the Jetspeed 3w this year. Just to see if I could get by. On my course I could with the exception of maybe 3 holes. Hit well the distance with this 3w was good. Not sure if it was longer than the JS but I have not hit them side by side. I probably do it and just sit the driver.

I know it's tough to look at the possibility of being 180-ish out on a long par 4, but might be worth trying for a bit just in case.

I know it's tough to look at the possibility of being 180-ish out on a long par 4, but might be worth trying for a bit just in case.

I welcome 180 out on a long par 4. Just have to figure out what that 180 club is.

SLDRs MetalWoods

Last Friday I was able to get out prior to heading to the campsite for the holiday weekend. I had a full SLDR S bag out with me and wanted to share some numbers and thoughts from the round. Here are my stats from the round - 79(+7), 6 FIR, 8 GIR, 29 Putts. All together a pretty good round. But here I’m going to dive in to the numbers a little deeper with regards to the SLDR S metalwoods.

Tee Game - With the driver it was awful. Overall numbers are 6/14, however with the driver I was 1/7 with the 1 being on the 18th. That drive was perfect, had a good shape to it, good height, and was long. Outside of that 1 shining moment it was a struggle with the driver. Had 1 miss off the toe that went right, but the other 5 were all left. Some way left. Now I know not all of that can be blamed on the clubhead, heck a bad swing is a bad swing. However the confidence with the club off the tee is just not there. It was a day I needed a little bit of help and I got nothing. Leading up to I was +8 on the day(birdied 18), and +5 on the day with holes I was hitting driver. EOD I was +7 on the day with +4 on driver holes. Other holes I used my 3w/5w/3HY and was a combined 5 of 6 with FIR.

Off the Deck - I think the fairways are easy to hit off the turf. They remind me of the jetspeed line in that fashion. Really get the ball up quick(for me) and usually have plenty of oomph behind them. Perhaps not the most forgiving fairway on the market, but I don’t think it’s a bad option. The shallow face is a look that I welcome from the deck, even if it makes it a little more nerve wracking off the tee.

Hybrid - This club kind of has me baffled. I’ll be the first to admit, I have not liked a TaylorMade Hybrid in a long time. I have this in a 19, and I want to try one in a 22. I think more loft will help me with the hybrid. #loftup still applies here right? I just don’t seem to get the elevation that I do with my other hybrids in the same loft. So this one is still a little bit of an incomplete review because I need to spend more time hitting it.

One thing I will add for the entire lineup is that I really like the silver finish. I think it’s better than the white options and better than the darker crown of the SLDR. I also like how they used a black face to contrast with the silver crown.

Great stuff, thanks! Your thoughts on the hybrid are really helpful, as I have been going back and forth between carrying the 19° 5 wood or the 19° hybrid. Are you still contemplating the mini?

Great stuff, thanks! Your thoughts on the hybrid are really helpful, as I have been going back and forth between carrying the 19° 5 wood or the 19° hybrid. Are you still contemplating the mini?

I am. Though I'd like to get on a monitor this week and see how much(if any) better it is for me off the tee than the normal 3 wood. Right now my current pondered setup looks something like this. Driver, Mini, 4 wood(3HL), 22 hybrid.

only on the internet. I was thinking more 7 wood haha

Hmm, I haven't carried a 7 wood since I started carrying a hybrid a few years ago. Thanks for putting that in my head, now I have another possible set up to think about!

Hmm, I haven't carried a 7 wood since I started carrying a hybrid a few years ago. Thanks for putting that in my head, now I have another possible set up to think about!

sorry about that. It's worth a look though. If you can find one I would consider giving it a swing or 2.

I am. Though I'd like to get on a monitor this week and see how much(if any) better it is for me off the tee than the normal 3 wood. Right now my current pondered setup looks something like this. Driver, Mini, 4 wood(3HL), 22 hybrid.

If I went with the Mini, I'm thinking 14° Driver, 16° Mini, 19° 5 Wood, and 22° hybrid.
Without the Mini I'm thinking 14° Driver, 17° HL 3 Wood, 19° Hybrid, and 22° Hybrid.

If I went with the Mini, I'm thinking 14° Driver, 16° Mini, 19° 5 Wood, and 22° hybrid.
Without the Mini I'm thinking 14° Driver, 17° HL 3 Wood, 19° Hybrid, and 22° Hybrid.

you know what factor is going to be the one to push you in one direction or the other?

you know what factor is going to be the one to push you in one direction or the other?

Like you, I really want to see the numbers between the Mini and 3w. I only got to hit the 12° Mini, and had to pick it off of a rubber mat tee that was way too tall so it was not the ideal situation. It felt great at impact though, although he had it all taped up so that may have affected the feel of it somewhat.

I just found out that a course about an hour from here has demos of the SLDR s line. If I don't work too late tonight, hopefully I can get over there in the morning and actually hit them on an outdoor range instead of just a simulator.

I just found out that a course about an hour from here has demos of the SLDR s line. If I don't work too late tonight, hopefully I can get over there in the morning and actually hit them on an outdoor range instead of just a simulator.

Hitting them outside always helps hopefully you can get there

Went out for practice again last night. Did it on the course as I hit multiple drives, iron shots, pitches, and putts on 6 or 7 different holes. The driver struggles were still there, esp early on. By the end of the night however I noticed that if I choked up on the club and played it in that 44.75-44.5 range I was hitting the ball straight. I'm not going to cut it down just yet, but I will measure out where I want it to be and throw some tape on the grip to indicated the length. Just curious to see what comes of it. Also as I think I have mentioned before, I need more height from this driver. I'm normally a launch high, spin high guy with the driver(swing faults), but with this club I'm getting low-mid liners.

I've got the same....driver, mini, 5 wood, 22° hybrid....I just can't decide on 4-hybrid or a 4-iron.

My hybrid shaft options:

STOCK
MITSUBISHI DIAMANA S+ 82
OZIK HD Program 95

I guess I want my hybrid to be an easy swinging high trajectory weapon, but I have zero experience with the Ozik.

My hybrid shaft options:

STOCK
MITSUBISHI DIAMANA S+ 82
OZIK HD Program 95

I guess I want my hybrid to be an easy swinging high trajectory weapon, but I have zero experience with the Ozik.

Did you look at the Kuro Kage option?

Back