Cleveland 588 MT Irons Preview Thread

Taking the 5 iron to the range today so get a feel for distance and dispersion compared to the 5h.

These long irons are still on my radar.

Taking the 5 iron to the range today so get a feel for distance and dispersion compared to the 5h.

If I have to go this route Im taking the altitude over the MT, got a decent amount of swings in with both now that my father in law has the MT's and the tudes just work better for me.

Meant to grab the Altitude 4i too. Past experience with it wasn't very positive, but lots has changed since then.

If I have to go this route Im taking the altitude over the MT, got a decent amount of swings in with both now that my father in law has the MT's and the tudes just work better for me.

Just curious as to why you think this is, - weighting?

Just curious as to why you think this is, - weighting?

Not a freaking clue. As much as I hate the looks of the tudes, Ive hit them now probably 10-12 times randomly and have seen way more success than I have with swings Ive put on the MT's and heck even the TT's

Not a freaking clue. As much as I hate the looks of the tudes, Ive hit them now probably 10-12 times randomly and have seen way more success than I have with swings Ive put on the MT's and heck even the TT's

Different strokes.... i know many on here who swear by the tudes. To me, the versatility of this line was VASTLY overlooked by many. Three iron sets that could be mixed and matched to achieve a truly unique bag set up is awesome. Not only that, this whole line up was geared toward the average golfer- again a rarity.

Different strokes.... i know many on here who swear by the tudes. To me, the versatility of this line was VASTLY overlooked by many. Three iron sets that could be mixed and matched to achieve a truly unique bag set up is awesome. Not only that, this whole line up was geared toward the average golfer- again a rarity.

Totally agree, I didnt mind the TT scoring irons at all, I just wasnt consistent with the mid irons (me not the clubs).

Im hoping to try out the Tudes 8I and up at some point to see how I fare with them

Totally agree, I didnt mind the TT scoring irons at all, I just wasnt consistent with the mid irons (me not the clubs).

Im hoping to try out the Tudes 8I and up at some point to see how I fare with them

I'm pretty much drooling at the possibility of some sort of new iron set in this mold coming out in July :alien:

This is where I'm at. Average. Golfer. :D I mean, mixed set.

I have recently rediscovered these (in a manner of speaking) as an option in my affordable forgiving iron quest - hit an MT 4 iron last spring, and it was just absolutely automatic. SO easy to hit. But it's been quite a while since I've swung one of these, so I wanted to ask - can anybody compare these to the 714 Titleist AP1? I'm also considering Wilson Ci11, Adams CB3, and Callaway XHP, but I know those will be less forgiving than these.

Has anyone compared these to the Altitudes in the 7 8 & 9 lofts if so what are your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Being a staffer of CG / Srixon I am blessed to get the pick of the litter so to speak of our equipment. I work with the tour dept every day at Cleveland and am in the know of what is going on here , on the tour, and with our tour and to a certain extent our retail goods. Our mixed sets have done very well. The srixons are doing the same now actually. I have a set of Tour Concept 588s but my 4 and 3 are mt's and they are numbered 5 and 4, but they fit perfectly into the set. My new Srixons are the same, a set of 925, 725, 545 set and another set of 745 / 545's. The forgings are excellent, the new wedges are doing great on tour and the stable on our tour staff are very happy with how things are shaping up this year! If time permits I will put some pictures of some of the sets we are working on for the staff here on the west coast swing that is not that far away!
:cleveland::yes:

Being a staffer of CG / Srixon I am blessed to get the pick of the litter so to speak of our equipment. I work with the tour dept every day at Cleveland and am in the know of what is going on here , on the tour, and with our tour and to a certain extent our retail goods. Our mixed sets have done very well. The srixons are doing the same now actually. I have a set of Tour Concept 588s but my 4 and 3 are mt's and they are numbered 5 and 4, but they fit perfectly into the set. My new Srixons are the same, a set of 925, 725, 545 set and another set of 745 / 545's. The forgings are excellent, the new wedges are doing great on tour and the stable on our tour staff are very happy with how things are shaping up this year! If time permits I will put some pictures of some of the sets we are working on for the staff here on the west coast swing that is not that far away!
:cleveland::yes:

As you can see by my signature I am a loyal Srixon/Cleveland fan of your equipment. My game is improving and was just wondering if there was any advantage of replacing my 7 8 and 9 Altitudes with the Mt's. I have replaced the P D and S with the TT's for more accuracy and spin around the greens.

Aussie, I have all the Alt's and only have the 9, PW, DW, SW for the MT's. I like the MT's, but I just found myself more consistent with the Tudes in these lofts. I did not find any gaps in lofts though when I mixed the two. I have not tried the TT's like you though.

Aussie, I have all the Alt's and only have the 9, PW, DW, SW for the MT's. I like the MT's, but I just found myself more consistent with the Tudes in these lofts. I did not find any gaps in lofts though when I mixed the two. I have not tried the TT's like you though.

Thanks for the info I can get hold of a MT 6 iron I think I will back to back it with Alt 6 and see what I think but I have heard of a lot of people are liking the Alt's better because of less offset than the MT's.

I did the same. At the 6 iron loft, I found the Alt with a better launch. The 9 and wedges in both series were comparable, although I found the MT's to have a larger face than the Alts.

I did the same. At the 6 iron loft, I found the Alt with a better launch. The 9 and wedges in both series were comparable, although I found the MT's to have a larger face than the Alts.

Just looking at your signature how do you find the 588 18* fairway metal compared to the Alt 3 iron.

For me, it is much more forgiving than the Alt 3. I do not get enough distance gap between the Alt 4 and 3. I just choke down a bit on the 5 wood since its so long, and I find it a very good club from the fairway or light rough.

For me, it is much more forgiving than the Alt 3. I do not get enough distance gap between the Alt 4 and 3. I just choke down a bit on the 5 wood since its so long, and I find it a very good club from the fairway or light rough.

Thanks for the info I think that might be my next change to the bag 5 metal in for the 3 Hyron

You might also check the 7 wood 588, its a great club, but in the end I did not see enough consistent gap between the 4 Alt and 7 wood. The only disadvantage to the 5 wood over the 3 Alt is that I can not play out of as many scrubby lies, but I just use the 4 Alt for that.

I've parted ways with the 588 Altitudes (head size got to me and trying to work my game into better shape) and will be parting ways with my JPX-825's(stock shaft is too heavy and causing my back problems to multiply). I'm between the Speedblade irons and these, really leaning toward these. Will be hitting them on a monitor one more time probably but I am pretty sure 4-DW will be in my bag soon! I had no problems with these even down at the 4 iron spot, was hitting it well.

I've parted ways with the 588 Altitudes (head size got to me and trying to work my game into better shape) and will be parting ways with my JPX-825's(stock shaft is too heavy and causing my back problems to multiply). I'm between the Speedblade irons and these, really leaning toward these. Will be hitting them on a monitor one more time probably but I am pretty sure 4-DW will be in my bag soon! I had no problems with these even down at the 4 iron spot, was hitting it well.

I have done the same with the 3&4 and 7-SW only using the 5&6 until I can get the same performance out of the MT 5&6. The transition was seamless going from the Altitudes to the MT's in 7-9 irons and the TT's in the wedges.

Last edited:
Just got them in the bag yesterday, won't be able to play until tomorrow, but I think it is promising. May change out short irons and/or wedges for TT, but will see how they react on the course.

Just got them in the bag yesterday, won't be able to play until tomorrow, but I think it is promising. May change out short irons and/or wedges for TT, but will see how they react on the course.

I really like the TT Wedges I have Altitude, MT & TT pitching wedges same shafts and same length and the TT performed better for me when I hit them all back to back. The Altitude had the best distance desperation followed by the TT and the TT had the best direction dispersion followed by the MT. and the TT had less roll out followed by the Altitude. So for me the TT was the best all round wedge. Using the Altitudes in the 5&6 irons as they seem to be a bit longer than the MT's especially on off centre contact, in the 7-9 irons I find the MT has better direction desperation than the Altitudes but the Altitudes had better distance desperation but not by much it doesn't seem to matter what part of the club you get the ball out of with the Altitudes they seem to go the same distance but the MT's you seem to lose a bit of distance but not much but they are a lot straighter for me so I have gone with them.

Last edited:
Resurrecting an old thread.

Has anyone tried these with the stock graphite shafts? If so, what is your opinion of them? I bought a set with stock Actionlite 55g graphite shafts. Have not hear much about those. Thanks!

Back