TaylorMade SpeedBlade Irons Review Thread

I would be interested if anyone has had the chance to hit these with the C-Taper installed? Impressions on ball flight?

This thread makes me want another set of Irons. Maybe I should have held off in buying the RBladez...

Or I could wait to break 80 first lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I would be interested if anyone has had the chance to hit these with the C-Taper installed? Impressions on ball flight?

The c-taper is the shaft I was fitted into this past week, and while I only have only hit that combo on the trackman thus far I really really liked the results. Ball flight came down slightly but not a ton. distance was about the same. but the heavier c-taper is what really made the speedblade head shine for me. There is a ton of forgiveness in the head to help with misses, but hitting the sweet spot on a speedblade is divine. The c-taper helps me do that a lot more often than the stock shaft.

The c-taper is the shaft I was fitted into this past week, and while I only have only hit that combo on the trackman thus far I really really liked the results. Ball flight came down slightly but not a ton. distance was about the same. but the heavier c-taper is what really made the speedblade head shine for me. There is a ton of forgiveness in the head to help with misses, but hitting the sweet spot on a speedblade is divine. The c-taper helps me do that a lot more often than the stock shaft.

Really agree with these comments about the forgiveness and sweet spot on these....

I don't think I've found this. Can you say what you mean by having trouble? Are the clubs twisting more than you expect, are you having trouble getting the club smoothly through the rough etc? Is it about power, height, direction and so on...?

Now that I played a few more rounds I think it was more off the fact that I was sized longer. I was hitting down too steep and not getting the club face around on time. This was causing me to hit high on the club face (not a good feeling). The ball was going from left rough to right rough on a week push to the right. I shallowed out my swing a bit and it seems my club is squaring up on time now.

TaylorMade SpeedBlade Irons Review Thread

Does anyone else find that the 8-9-PW gets up in a hurry? I hit them high and short. Mostly the 9 and pw. I'm certain I could hit a pop fly and field it myself. Lol. Swing mechanics I'm sure.

I was quite pleased today with these. I found myself short off the tees with my driver so I had a lot of 3h-4i-5i shots in and only once did I find myself in a bad situation when I hit a layup and overshot my landing zone and scooted into a bunker. Loving them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone else find that the 8-9-PW gets up in a hurry? I hit them high and short. Mostly the 9 and pw. I'm certain I could hit a pop fly and field it myself. Lol. Swing mechanics I'm sure.

Not so much in my case. I noticed a good 10 yards of distance gain with these clubs too. 9 iron used to be in the 120's and now it is 135 to 140 (don't laugh). PW was about 110 or so and now it is my 120s club.

Not so much in my case. I noticed a good 10 yards of distance gain with these clubs too. 9 iron used to be in the 120's and now it is 135 to 140 (don't laugh). PW was about 110 or so and now it is my 120s club.

I'd never laugh at someone's distances. We are what we are! I hit the 9 about the same as you. I notice a big jump when it gets to the 7i and above though presumably because I'm not hitting it quite as high as I do with the shorter irons.

I generally find the gaping very even across the range from AW to 5i. As long as I swing smoothly I can get consistent distances. If I launch at the ball the numbers go a bit crazy...

I continue to be thoroughly impressed with the SpeedBlades, all the way down to the LW. Yesterday was probably my best round with these irons yet. It was just a game of point and shoot.

the 5 and 6 iron were both very easy to get up into the air, and the distance I was getting from them was good. There were a couple of shots where I was hitting a 6 iron into the wind, and the wind just didn't have the effect on the ball I was expecting.

Short irons and wedges were also flat out performing. With a good strike, I got the distances I expected, and even on thin shots I got my distance, just with a bit lower ballflight.

Wedges were great on shots from tight fairway lies, and they put sufficient spin on the ball, usually one hop and stop. I almost jarred a 50 yard LW on the fly, just needed to be a few inches to the right with it. Greenside I have been impressed as well. I still need to work to develop the touch on these shots, but I didn't have problems with the wedges in thick rough, at least any more that I would with other wedges. Sand wedge worked great out of a firm greenside bunker, helping me save a tough par.

I'm really glad I ended up with these irons. As I continue to take lessons and improve, they will only perform better for me.

I continue to be thoroughly impressed with the SpeedBlades, all the way down to the LW. Yesterday was probably my best round with these irons yet. It was just a game of point and shoot.

the 5 and 6 iron were both very easy to get up into the air, and the distance I was getting from them was good. There were a couple of shots where I was hitting a 6 iron into the wind, and the wind just didn't have the effect on the ball I was expecting.

Short irons and wedges were also flat out performing. With a good strike, I got the distances I expected, and even on thin shots I got my distance, just with a bit lower ballflight.

Wedges were great on shots from tight fairway lies, and they put sufficient spin on the ball, usually one hop and stop. I almost jarred a 50 yard LW on the fly, just needed to be a few inches to the right with it. Greenside I have been impressed as well. I still need to work to develop the touch on these shots, but I didn't have problems with the wedges in thick rough, at least any more that I would with other wedges. Sand wedge worked great out of a firm greenside bunker, helping me save a tough par.

I'm really glad I ended up with these irons. As I continue to take lessons and improve, they will only perform better for me.

This could have been me. Thanks for the update. My last round was so similar. They totally made my round as my driving was off and short game was really poor. Nailed almost every iron hit... Loving them...

We need to get together Alek, I want to try these things! Oh, and play some golf with you too of course :D

Now that I played a few more rounds I think it was more off the fact that I was sized longer. I was hitting down too steep and not getting the club face around on time. This was causing me to hit high on the club face (not a good feeling). The ball was going from left rough to right rough on a week push to the right. I shallowed out my swing a bit and it seems my club is squaring up on time now.

Hitting high on the face with Speedblades is a horrible feeling. It took me a good month to retrain myself to catch them thinner and I have to pay much more attention to my proximity to the ball than I used to, so I don't dig or catch them toe-y. For me, the 3i to 7i are just divine. I abandoned the wedges and currently I'm having at bit of a hard time with the 8i to PW. I'll leave some open to the right, then hood the next one left. Swing mechanics are the problem there. But boy oh boy, do I love these irons out of bunkers. I hit a 4 iron out of a fw bunker 215 to a green on par 5 yesterday. High and pure. First time in my life I've ever done that.

Hitting high on the face with Speedblades is a horrible feeling. It took me a good month to retrain myself to catch them thinner and I have to pay much more attention to my proximity to the ball than I used to, so I don't dig or catch them toe-y. For me, the 3i to 7i are just divine. I abandoned the wedges and currently I'm having at bit of a hard time with the 8i to PW. I'll leave some open to the right, then hood the next one left. Swing mechanics are the problem there. But boy oh boy, do I love these irons out of bunkers. I hit a 4 iron out of a fw bunker 215 to a green on par 5 yesterday. High and pure. First time in my life I've ever done that.

Yup I have some similar issues with the 8-aw. I sky them way up. Last round I had a 110 yard shot in and the ball was sitting up high in a fluffy patch of rough. Couple that lie with a steep swing and I hit a 60 yard pop up to shallow right. In hindsight I should have clubbed up, choked down and picked it out of there.

Yup I have some similar issues with the 8-aw. I sky them way up. Last round I had a 110 yard shot in and the ball was sitting up high in a fluffy patch of rough. Couple that lie with a steep swing and I hit a 60 yard pop up to shallow right. In hindsight I should have clubbed up, choked down and picked it out of there.

Ooooh, those fluffy sitting-up lies were DEATH until I practiced them with a thin pick shot, similar to the stance and swing I take with a fairway bunker shot. They just go nowhere and yes, the miss is right. Anything high and toe-y gives you a hollow clank right.

I've just taken my whole set in for another degree upright bending after a 9 hole session where I once again hit the 3 to 7 straight and everything 8 to pw dead right. And I mean 30 yards right. That much has got to be mostly swing flaw. However, I notice I'm hitting the 3 to 7 straight because I flip the face closed the face at address, but with the shorter clubs back in the stance this looks too weird. After one 8i miss pin high 20 yards right I had a good dollar bill sized divot that pointed down the target line, but on closer inspection it was deep in the toe, hinting that my contact point is good but the toe is striking the ground first, dragging it back, opening the face for a push right. So in they all go for adjustment.

Ooooh, those fluffy sitting-up lies were DEATH until I practiced them with a thin pick shot, similar to the stance and swing I take with a fairway bunker shot. They just go nowhere and yes, the miss is right. Anything high and toe-y gives you a hollow clank right.

I've just taken my whole set in for another degree upright bending after a 9 hole session where I once again hit the 3 to 7 straight and everything 8 to pw dead right. And I mean 30 yards right. That much has got to be mostly swing flaw. However, I notice I'm hitting the 3 to 7 straight because I flip the face closed the face at address, but with the shorter clubs back in the stance this looks too weird. After one 8i miss pin high 20 yards right I had a good dollar bill sized divot that pointed down the target line, but on closer inspection it was deep in the toe, hinting that my contact point is good but the toe is striking the ground first, dragging it back, opening the face for a push right. So in they all go for adjustment.

I just got my Speedblades back from another 1° bend upright (making 2° in total) and it worked. Gone are my dead right pushes. Now I'm back to hitting straight balls with a baby draw from the top of the set to the bottom. So I'm in love again.

Over the weekend, when my SB's were in the shop, I hit a set of Titleist AP1's with Aerotech shafts. These are very good clubs, very easy to hit, very forgiving and a shade more workable than the SB's. But they are about 5 yards shorter across the board and a bit lower in flight. I was surprised that while they were attractive, they had quite a bit of plastic in their rear cavities. I would play them without reservations. Those Aerotechs are worth serious scrutiny.

I played a few rounds with the a demo set of sb really quite liked them not my specs so needed to adjust a bit to them. While pondering ordering a set I had a chance to snag a set of discounted Callaway Apex irons , just love the look of them . I found they felt really nice decent length, hit the long and mid irons very well but the 8-pw, aw sw I hooked or pulled them , adjusted the lie no dice . I ended up selling but still glad I tried them though .
So I ordered the sb's to my specs , oh my.. love em. First round 77 second round 76 with 2 doubles thanks to wonky driver mind you a hot putter helps. My gir are way up the aw is sheer gold, knocking down flag sticks with it. The extra distance I am getting is welcome as well .
The search for irons is finally over !
gb

Absolutely loving my set. Every round I play I think I like them more. Today the set wedges really saved me, I love the way they feel. By far the best set I've ever owned. Really impressed with how these are holding up too. I don't see much wear after all these rounds, the finish isn't getting nicked up like I thought it would

I think my round on friday was the best overall iron play I've had. Distance wise I was right on my numbers all day. I hit them exactly the right distances every time. I struggled with a case of leftsies mostly de to anticipation of my normal fade which never came. I think or rather know if I had 90-100 yards in on every approach I could stick the AW to within a few feet every time. It's just not often that happens. The confidence I have in the 6 on down is tremendous. I expect to keep these irons for a long time!

Lefty57: "My gir are way up the aw is sheer gold, knocking down flag sticks with it." I find your comment on the AW very interesting.

I bought the SB 4-PW only, because I love my TM tp-FXT wedge set (52,54,56), and thought I would try to keep them in my bag. Unfortunately my SB shafts are "Senior Graphite 55 gram, and my FXT wedges are steel 100+shafts so both gapping and shaft weight are issues. I was thinking of just re-shafting my FXT wedges to graphite Xcalibre 75 Rs, but they still would not match the SB flex and lofts.

Your comment on the SB AW has me deeply pondering whether I might be better off just purchasing the matching SB A Wedge rather than trying to make my FXT 52 fit. Would love to hear any thoughts you or others might have.

Lefty57: "My gir are way up the aw is sheer gold, knocking down flag sticks with it." I find your comment on the AW very interesting.

I bought the SB 4-PW only, because I love my TM tp-FXT wedge set (52,54,56), and thought I would try to keep them in my bag. Unfortunately my SB shafts are "Senior Graphite 55 gram, and my FXT wedges are steel 100+shafts so both gapping and shaft weight are issues. I was thinking of just re-shafting my FXT wedges to graphite Xcalibre 75 Rs, but they still would not match the SB flex and lofts.

Your comment on the SB AW has me deeply pondering whether I might be better off just purchasing the matching SB A Wedge rather than trying to make my FXT 52 fit. Would love to hear any thoughts you or others might have.

The point and shoot wedge , easily the best gap wedge I have played . I have the stock tm wedge flex shaft in it.
gb

The point and shoot wedge , easily the best gap wedge I have played . I have the stock tm wedge flex shaft in it.
gb

I'll second the SB AW wedge. I absolutely love it! I just feel so confident with it, especially on full shots

There's a reason the name approach wedge was replaced with awesome wedge the weekend we got them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Took me about a month to figure these out but sunday it payed off.

I shot a 40 in my back nine league (with one drive going ob) no rolls.
My best before that was a 44 so I'm really happy. I do still have trouble
smothering the 3-4 iron from time to time but I get such good distance on the 5 iron
that it's hard not to pull that out.

So much confidence in these right now. I'm finding paired with the right ball they can be extraordinary. I was hitting the new taylormade your preferred X to start the season which is working extremely well around the greens but left me shorter than usual off the tees. I have some speed regime and 330rx to try on wed.

Back