TaylorMade SLDR Mini Driver Preview

I spent a lot of time hitting it in a 14° today. It was a little low for my taste, but it just feels solid every time I hit it. I was able to hit it off the mat, but am notcounting on it being something I will hit of the deck regularly. I will have the 19° 5 wood if I really need to hit something of the deck.

Is this going to take the place of a FW?

I currently carry a 3 wood and a 3 & 4 hybrid. I'm going to swap the 3 wood for the mini, and swap the 3 hybrid for a 5 wood.

I currently carry a 3 wood and a 3 & 4 hybrid. I'm going to swap the 3 wood for the mini, and swap the 3 hybrid for a 5 wood.

Interesting switch, more control with 5w?

That's the setup I've got currently and it's working really well. PING i25 driver in 10.5*, SLDR mini in 12* (as a 3 wood replacement) then a Callaway X2hot 5deep, and then a PING G25 4hybrid.

I primarily used my 3 wood off the tee so the mini fit seamlessly into my bag. Now it's been a few weeks with it and I actually hit this off the deck more often than I did with my old 3 wood. Part of that is me getting better but I think part of it is the club.

Interesting switch, more control with 5w?

The 5 wood should give me a more consistent shot off the deck than my 3 wood, and the mini gives me a larger club head than my 3 wood for hitting off the tee.

What kind of distances were you seeing with the mini driver??
The 5 wood should give me a more consistent shot off the deck than my 3 wood, and the mini gives me a larger club head than my 3 wood for hitting off the tee.

I was up in the air as to what loft i decide to do with the 14* so i use a 17* rather than the 5w but is i had gone with the 16* i would have used a 5w

Just spent some time with this one at the shop, and have to say hitting this one surprised me.

I hit it off the tee only, as that's what my usage for it will be. Loved the size and the way it setup and a large fairway wood, plus I loved the fact that I was hammering it.

Was averaging about 220 carry with this, which has me quite happy. I left and then decided to go back to see if it was a fluke or not. Went back and hit 8 more shots, most were my predictable fade and averaged 220 carry and 244 yards total distance.

This was all with a 14* Mini. It will be in the bag.

Good stuff, War, glad to hear you found a solution for the tee.

Just spent some time with this one at the shop, and have to say hitting this one surprised me.

I hit it off the tee only, as that's what my usage for it will be. Loved the size and the way it setup and a large fairway wood, plus I loved the fact that I was hammering it.

Was averaging about 220 carry with this, which has me quite happy. I left and then decided to go back to see if it was a fluke or not. Went back and hit 8 more shots, most were my predictable fade and averaged 220 carry and 244 yards total distance.

Nice you liked the mini and going in the bag as you sounded very worried about tee shots for MC lol.

I bought a speeder 3w shaft I'm going to put in my R1 and mess around and see what the results are. Maybe try and find a SLDR head if I can pick one up cheap to mess with, see what the differences are regarding distance, forgiveness, etc with the shorter driver vs mini.

Anyone know the properties of the stock shaft in the Mini?

Anyone know the properties of the stock shaft in the Mini?

Its the same Speeder in the stock SLDR driver. The TP model has a 7.3 Speeder, 10 grams heavier then the 6.3 Speeder in the TP SLDR driver.

Make sure you have a shim when you reshaft the only the TP model has a .335 bore

So even though the TM site lists the tip size for both the TP and Non-TP version, the actual hosel bore size for the non-TP version is, what? .350?

If someone could clarify, that'd be great

So even though the TM site lists the tip size for both the TP and Non-TP version, the actual hosel bore size for the non-TP version is, what? .350?

If someone could clarify, that'd be great

I was told by TM that there were two diffrent size bores the Speeder 57 is a .350 tip the TP is the only one with the .335 bore look at the regular SLDR driver the shaft in the mini is the same

I was told by TM that there were two diffrent size bores the Speeder 57 is a .350 tip the TP is the only one with the .335 bore look at the regular SLDR driver the shaft in the mini is the same

Yup. My fitter measured it and even showed me the numbers. The non tp version is .350. Taylormade should really update their website to fix this. I might just sell my non tp version here and get the tp instead of shimming the 757.

Yup. My fitter measured it and even showed me the numbers. The non tp version is .350. Taylormade should really update their website to fix this. I might just sell my non tp version here and get the tp instead of shimming the 757.

Seems expensive, when a shim will work.

That's a bummer. To be honest, this is good for me since I have yet to make a purchase and I have a couple of .350 fairway wood shafts that I wanted to try out in this club.

That's a bummer. To be honest, this is good for me since I have yet to make a purchase and I have a couple of .350 fairway wood shafts that I wanted to try out in this club.

If you're looking for a near mint 12 degree head I got one available.

That is why i spent the extra for the TP just so my options our open
Since i am changing the shaft this week i guess it was a good thing the 7.3 launches to high for my taste so the tour green should do the trick

iirc you didn't get along with the 3deep line. What was different? Was it the head size? Was launch better?

iirc you didn't get along with the 3deep line. What was different? Was it the head size? Was launch better?

I didnt have too much trouble with the 3Deep, just decided to move away from it during my prep for the MC last year.

However, I found this one a bit better for what I intend to use it for, being off the tee only. Bigger head, bigger face, just seemed easier to hit. Could be the bigger size just gave me a bit of confidence at address.

Im pretty disappointed with mine. The x2hot 3 deep is at least 10 metres longer. Whilst i love the looks and forgiveness it is too spinny and i am far from being a high spin player. That you have to pay a big premium to get a half decent shaft is crap imo. The x2hot 3 deep performs at the same price point. The mini doesn't sadly with that pos stock shaft.

Im pretty disappointed with mine. The x2hot 3 deep is at least 10 metres longer. Whilst i love the looks and forgiveness it is too spinny and i am far from being a high spin player. That you have to pay a big premium to get a half decent shaft is crap imo. The x2hot 3 deep performs at the same price point. The mini doesn't sadly with that pos stock shaft.

For some the stock shaft on the SLDR products has been a big issue for me they were way too spinny as well that is why i have changed all mine out. i guess that shows the importance of a proper fitting

I want to use the mini as a three wood off the ground, I know i will have to demo one and see if I can, I just always hit driver off the tee, very sledom anything else, but I can think of several courses and holes at my local course i could use off the tee, I still use a adams 9032ti fairway that i love and hit ti well, the callaway deep looks to flat and not square enough for me, but I'll try it to,
I just want some extra distance on reaching par fives on the second shot, I've hit the sldr driver and love it it's long for me anyway

Back