Looking for ball similar to TP3.

ImaBeRealReal

Reaction score
Handicap
Above Par
I had stocked up on these guys on closeout at Academy Sports but the bucket is starting to run dry.... I tried a couple local stores and am no longer able to find them on the shelves so I suppose I must start the search for something similar. I've tried the Hex Chrome + but for some reason it just doesn't seem to work for me as well as the TP3 did. What else out there will be in this family?

You can find some Lethal Practice balls for $20. It's a steal of a price on that ball

Bridgestone - RX & RXS
Callaway - SR2
TaylorMade - Project (a)
Titleist - Pro V1
Srixon - Z-Star

Academy was selling Rocketballz for $9.99 a dozen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Academy was selling Rocketballz for $9.99 a dozen.

Rocketballz Urethane? I suppose those are fairly similar.

Yes, they are urethane. They are all 2012 balls. The Rocketballz were the "distance" ball, with the TP5 the high end ball, and the TP3 somewhere in the middle. The RBZ has slightly less spin on the green, so it depends on what you are looking for. If you want high spin on the green, I would say the Project (a) is worth looking into. It has that great TM durability and will really bite on the greens.

The Closest current ball TM makes is the Tour Preferred it is a 4 piece but the compression is closer to the TP3 if want something a little softer with more spin the Project (a) would work

In my opinion, the project a is very different from the RBZ urethane. I really didn't like that ball. Spinny off the tee and not so much around the greens. I'm seeing the opposite from the project a

Went through the searches and looks like you did a head to head with the RBZs and the TP3s back in 2012. The RBZs rolled a bit more, but you said if you played it that way (clubbed down and played the roll) that you had a predictable flight that worked on the green. On TapATalk so can't link the thread ...

Went through the searches and looks like you did a head to head with the RBZs and the TP3s back in 2012. The RBZs rolled a bit more, but you said if you played it that way (clubbed down and played the roll) that you had a predictable flight that worked on the green. On TapATalk so can't link the thread ...

That I did... Game has changed a lot since then however. I think the RBZ would spin too much off the driver.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Callaway Hex Chrome or Hex Chrome +. 3-piece urethane ball that offers good forgiveness off the tee and plenty of grab around the greens.

I had stocked up on these guys on closeout at Academy Sports but the bucket is starting to run dry.... I tried a couple local stores and am no longer able to find them on the shelves so I suppose I must start the search for something similar. I've tried the Hex Chrome + but for some reason it just doesn't seem to work for me as well as the TP3 did. What else out there will be in this family?

The closest ball is the Maxfli U3, a 3 piece urethane ball manufactured in the same plant by the same company. Taylormade bought Maxfli a few years ago and their headquarters are in the same building. The 4 piece Maxfli U4 is also very similar, just a little more spin around the green and on approach shots. As a bonus the U3's are on sale at Golf Galaxy or Dicks and are only $45 for 2 dozen. I played ProV1's for 10 years until switching to Maxfli's a few years ago and couldn't be happier.

Maxfli is not owned by taylormade. In fact it is a store house brand.

Back