The mental side of the game

Thinking about the next shot should not happen when you step up to hit current shot. My coach tells me this. You have your thinking box behind the ball. In there you think about where you want thw ball to go (this includes what uou want to leave for your next shot) and what type of shot will get you there. Then you got your hitting box when you step up to the ball. In there there in only one swing thought. Mine is a phrase helpimg me to focus on tempo. Nothing else

Been there before. I was playing a short-ish (420 yards) Par 4 the other day. Decent shot off the tee, right down the middle and had maybe 160 left to the green. Pin was tucked back right. I SHOULD have played to the middle of the green. Instead I tried to hit the Hero Shot and short sided myself in the rough front right. Then proceded to NOT get on the green, then threw it past the hole and two putted for a double. SWEET.

I need to play to middle of the green more often than I do, unless I'm just playing REALLY well and KNOW it.

I love it when someone describes a 420 yard par 4 as "shortish". It tells me that we play a very different kind of golf. :confused2:

Just a little bump since I have my on course lesson at 8:00 this morning. I'll post up later with how it went.

Enjoy AH. Should be both fun and enlightening.

I just need to finish composing my thoughts, before I post a recap of the lesson, but here is a scorecard and layout of the 9 holes I just played. My instructor had me play from the whites.

14341282591_065f56238f_o.jpg

14157963018_0fd0df2782_o.jpg

I know this is long, but if you go to the bottom where I've posted the score, you can read my final thoughts on my first ever on course lesson.

On course lesson recap:

My instructor met me on the driving range to watch me warm up. I’ve never played the course before and he wanted me to play the back 9 since there are trees water to deal with. When we get to the 10[SUP]th[/SUP] tee box, he goes “Days of Thunder” on me. He wants me to play two balls on each hole. One my way, and one his. I’ll post hole recaps showing both ways from here on out.

#10 my way: My plan was to play driver off the tee over the bunkers on the left which should leave me with a 4h to the green. What actually happened was – Pulled the driver and ended up in the rough on the right leaving me 206 to reach the center of green. I then hit my 3h 175 yards leaving me 28 to the pin. I chipped a little to thin and the ball released and rolled to the back of the green leading me to 3 putt for a double bogie.

#10 Instructor’s way: Hit a 4h off the tee to lay up at the dog-leg. The ball ended up on the left side of the fairway leaving me 208 to the pin. Second shot was a 8i lay-up that landed center of the fairway leaving 91 to the pin. 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] shot was a 48° wedge to six feet and a putt for par.
Okay, so he then explained why he had me play the hole that way. He said that he has watched me stick it to within 10’ countless times if I’m 60-120 yards out. Because it was a longer par 4, he wanted me to play it like a par 5 and lay-up to a distance where I could stick it near the pin and hopefully one-putt. So, on to #11.

#11 my way: Driver off the tee to a wide fairway leaving 262 to the pin. Pulled the 4w and it ended up in the right rough and left me 79 to the pin. 48° wedge came out low with little backspin and flew over the green. Chipped to 10’ followed by a 2 putt for bogey.

#11 instructor’s way: Driver off the tee to almost the same spot as my first shot, this time leaving 258 to the pin. Hit a 6i 151 yards leaving me 107 to the pin and in the middle of the fairway. Third shot was a 9i to 15’ followed by a 2 putt for my second par of the day. Things are really starting to look promising here.

#12 my way: Driver into the trees on the left leaving 140 to the pin but in the rough. Second shot was a pull draw with the 6i that landed in the bunker short right of the green. 2 strokes to get out of the beach, and a two putt for double bogie. Ouch

#12 instructor’s way: 3h off the tee putting me 139 from the pin and in the fairway. Purred a 7i over the back of the green. Chip on and two putt for bogie.

#13 was a par 3 so I only played 1 ball. 7i came up short and in the sand. One out and a three putt for double.

#14 my way: Driver into left rough leaving no shot so I had to punch it out onto the fairway. This left me 200 to the green. Hit a pull draw with the 3h into the bunker that was short and right of the green. Only one to get out of the bunker but I was in the rough right of the green. Chip on and a two putt for double.

#14 instructor’s way: It’s 430 to the center of the so he has me hit a 6i off the tee. Second shot was the same 6i and a 7i for the third, but I was on the green in three. Sadly, I had a three putt for bogie. The hole was a very narrow one and he wanted me to keep it down the middle. He was certain that I could do that with just a 6i off the tee.

#15 my way: I was really starting to catch on, but this one was a forced carry over water so I grabbed the big dog. I hit a wicked slice that carried the water I needed it to but flew left of the fairway and into the pond anyway. Hitting 3 from the tee, I pulled the 4w out and landed center of the fairway with 176 to get to the pin. 4[SUP]th[/SUP] shot was a 4h that landed short but rolled up onto the green. Two putt for a double and get out.

#15 instructor’s way: Same 4w off the tee, but a little shorter this time leaving me 181 to the pin. Proceded to hit a PW that left me 76 yards to the pin. ¾ swing with the sand wedge that landed on the front edge and rolled to 20’. Two putt for bogie.

#16 was another par 3 so only one ball was played: PW to 28’ followed by a three-jack for bogie.

#17 my way: Driver right down the middle leaving 107 to the pin. PW to a bunker. One out and two putt for bogie. My instructor was rather pleased with the drive I hit, so I only played out the one ball.

#18 my way: Hit a 234 yard drive that left me at an odd distance of 41 yards to the pin. I chunked a ¾ lob wedge that landed in the water in front of the green. Penalty stroke and now I’m hitting 4. Got it right the second time and it stuck me with a 15’ that I two putted for a double.

#18 instructor’s way: 5i off the tee leaving 118 to the pin. Hit a 9i short but it was over the water. Had a chip and two putt for bogie.

Total score:
My way = 51
Instructor’s way= 43

He shaved 8 strokes off of my game with a little game/course management. By playing to my strengths and getting that approach shot in the 60-120 yard range I was really pleased. He wants me to keep thinking about the current shot more than anything else, but also what do I need to do on each hole to get to that 60-120 yard approach shot. Even if it is my 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] shot on a par 4. If I stick it close and one putt, then it’s a par. My instructor wants me to then build on that by get more accurate outside of 120 yards and continue to grove my swing so that I can get more aggressive off the tee on narrow holes.

After this lesson, I am sold on getting another on course one in a month or so. It was a little more than double the cost of a normal range lesson, but if I can carry the things he showed me back out on the course in the future, I can really see the handicap dropping.

That was an interesting read Adam. Not shocking in the least, but there is some pretty non-typical strategy in there that paid off for you. Do you think you can commit to planning out three shot holes like that going forward?

That was an interesting read Adam. Not shocking in the least, but there is some pretty non-typical strategy in there that paid off for you. Do you think you can commit to planning out three shot holes like that going forward?

That may be tough for me to do in the short term, as I tend to be aggressive and ALWAYS for the green in 2 regardless of the length on a par 4. It was very non-typical strategy, but as Freddie posted earlier, what I need more than anything right now is fairways and greens, and 8 strokes for 9 holes is a big difference as it can mean a round in the 80s or a round in the 100s.

If I can remind myself that I shot a 43 on 9 holes that I never played before by playing safely, than I may be able to commit.

I think you should just commit to trying it for a couple rounds. No box on the scorecard for how pretty it was.

Fantastic read Adam and 8 strokes is huge to cut on a side. I really love how he explained why he had you playing certain clubs to play to your strengths and manage the course that way.

I hope to hear you can play this way on your own.

I'm going to try and get out for a full 18 tomorrow and really keep in mind what he showed me today.

I'm going to try and get out for a full 18 tomorrow and really keep in mind what he showed me today.

course management is huge if you are serious with getting better. one of the most important parts of your game is knowing your misses. if you can tailor your game so that you are making the highest percentage shot then you will always have an advantage. when Im standing over the ball im not thinking about my next shot. part of my pre shot routine is the determine where the ball will be if I miss. once you make that decision you have to commit to that shot, visualize it and then execute it.

very interesting Adam good right up. i have been trying to dial it back and not being super aggressive on the course its hard for me especially on par 5's.

i seem to be in the 230-240 range alot which is a 3 wood for me unless it is pretty open with no hazards OB or water i have been laying up to 100 yds. it has helped me not get the big number.

Really really interesting read there Adam. Good to hear one on-course lesson for course management really made such an impact for you. I can't help but wonder though, how many times the stress was off when playing that 2nd ball (sort of like how if you chunk a shot, and then immediately drop another ball, you will often hit it better).

Has me thinking I need to put a bit more thought into my next round. Will definitely give it a try Friday when I get out (won't be the easiest time to do it with 3 jeering co-workers who only want to hit driver all day).

I can't help but wonder though, how many times the stress was off when playing that 2nd ball (sort of like how if you chunk a shot, and then immediately drop another ball, you will often hit it better).

I think this is a big part of it. Confidence is HUGE in this game and I know that I can knock it close from around 100 yards, so laying up that second shot on a long par 4 to the 100 yard mark really took a lot of pressure off of those second shots.

Thanks for sharing that Adam. I still struggle from time to time with course management, and even though I know I should just play for bogey sometimes, I let the ego get in the way and there come the blow ups.

Great read there Adam. This is the part of my game that plagues me the most. Probably why I play better when I'm not thinking and just focus on hitting the ball in the short stuff.

Well, I went and played 18 today at the only course that I've ever been able to break into the 80s on. Both times I've shot an 89 and until today that was my personal best.

I tried to remember everything that I learned in my lesson yesterday and it really paid off. Rather than trying to go for the green in two and getting myself in trouble, I focused on what I needed to do to get myself from the tee to around 100 yards to the pin. This meant that I only pulled out the driver 5 times today, but it really did work for me.

I now have a new personal best of 82. Shaved 7 strokes off of my record and couldn't be happier.

This is spectacular to hear! Congrats on the PB!

solid score good job!!

Well, I went and played 18 today at the only course that I've ever been able to break into the 80s on. Both times I've shot an 89 and until today that was my personal best.

I tried to remember everything that I learned in my lesson yesterday and it really paid off. Rather than trying to go for the green in two and getting myself in trouble, I focused on what I needed to do to get myself from the tee to around 100 yards to the pin. This meant that I only pulled out the driver 5 times today, but it really did work for me.

I now have a new personal best of 82. Shaved 7 strokes off of my record and couldn't be happier.

That's what its all about! I'm of the mind that boring golf is generally good golf. Take your medicine and keep the ball in front of you, accepting birdies when they come and not forcing the issue. These are the things that will lead to consistency and low numbers! Keep up the good work.

I gotta tell you.

That is freaking amazing. Amazing!

Pb's galore...well done dude

I read a lot of golf stuff and I'm a big Bobby Jones fan. He played the hole backwards in his minds eyes from the tee. This is how I try to start when I'm standing on the tee. In Golf's Sacred Journey, (my favorite golf fiction book after Dead Solid Perfect), the old pro who was played by Robert Duval in the movie espouses a see it, feel it, trust it mantra before each shot. I have found this to be a great relaxer and mind clearer as I prepare to hit. Dave Stockton is all about visualizing and maintaining a consistent and brisk routine for all shots, particularly putting. I have incorporated this into my overall game and have had great success with it

awesome Adam! great job!

Back