Callaway Big Bertha Driver Review

So because everyone keeps talking about BB, and that nearly everyone gamed it in Indy, I must get my hands on one in the next few weeks before Ocean City!

So because everyone keeps talking about BB, and that nearly everyone gamed it in Indy, I must get my hands on one in the next few weeks before Ocean City!

I know a guy...

Hope to find a Callaway demo day around here in the next few months so i can try out a few products, BB driver and APEX irons being the main ones.

Hope to find a Callaway demo day around here in the next few months so i can try out a few products, BB driver and APEX irons being the main ones.

Don't they have a demo bay at Golf Galaxy? Go for it.

Don't they have a demo bay at Golf Galaxy? Go for it.

never been a fan of hitting them inside, i just found a local place called Leatherman's that is a very nice out door range, and apparently they have stepped up their game and now carry all the major brands and demos. This weekend i should be able to make it over there and try this out.

how is it working for you i know you just recently picked it up.

never been a fan of hitting them inside, i just found a local place called Leatherman's that is a very nice out door range, and apparently they have stepped up their game and now carry all the major brands and demos. This weekend i should be able to make it over there and try this out.

Yeah I really need to find an outdoor range I can put this up against my R1. Only so much you can tell indoors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am enjoying it, I seem to be about the same as I was with the X-Hot though. Occasionally I get one out there a little longer.

I hit this driver today, it is longer than my current driver (X-Hot 10.5 stiff)... I love this driver, I really like the sound of the ball coming off the club face... It sounds like it is getting shot out of a cannon...

Dax

Had a real fun day today with Big Bertha. Saw an increased percentage in fairways hit over the weekend and a couple terrible swings were rewarded with approach shots from the short grass. Really refreshing to know if I am having an off day driving the ball, Big Bertha will be there to catch me. Oh, and she is #BerthaLong. Got to a creek today that I used to only get to playing down wind. Changing the way I play even par 5s on my home course.

I'm starting to believe that it's time to go #BerthaLong....
I have a feeling that the X-Hot will be replaced soon...

Dax

Had a real fun day today with Big Bertha. Saw an increased percentage in fairways hit over the weekend and a couple terrible swings were rewarded with approach shots from the short grass. Really refreshing to know if I am having an off day driving the ball, Big Bertha will be there to catch me. Oh, and she is #BerthaLong. Got to a creek today that I used to only get to playing down wind. Changing the way I play even par 5s on my home course.
Getting that extra distance can be a huge advantage, I'm still not seeing the height I'd like to with it, but boy does it feel amazing when I hit it good.

Anyone notice a bit of a whistle during the swing? I asusme it's from the sliding weight.

Yes, I hear the whistle, but only every so often....usually in a slight crosswind but its pretty rare.

Struggled with BB today more than any other day. I had 4 pulled drives in a row. It was really weird....definitely a swing issue. I had really just never struggled with this thing until today, but its totally me.

I still had a couple bombs down the middle though. But the pulls were weird. Came out of nowhere.

Getting that extra distance can be a huge advantage, I'm still not seeing the height I'd like to with it, but boy does it feel amazing when I hit it good.

Anyone notice a bit of a whistle during the swing? I asusme it's from the sliding weight.

I notice the whistle usually when playing into the wind.

I noticed a sound change when I moved the perimeter weight today. I had it set at the draw 3 setting and moved it back to neutral. The pitch seemed to get a little higher on center strikes...I kinda liked the sound better! Just my random thought for today.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I noticed a sound change when I moved the perimeter weight today. I had it set at the draw 3 setting and moved it back to neutral. The pitch seemed to get a little higher on center strikes...I kinda liked the sound better! Just my random thought for today.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Yep, it def changes a bit as you reposition the weight.

Does anyone else not notice much or any extra distance with there BB? I don't think im really seeing a big increase in length over my R11s, could it be the shaft? I never had the chance to test the club when I brought it so I was just going on all the positive reviews, so have only got the standard shaft. I am in no way not liking the club as the mishit forgiveness is great.

Does anyone else not notice much or any extra distance with there BB? I don't think im really seeing a big increase in length over my R11s, could it be the shaft? I never had the chance to test the club when I brought it so I was just going on all the positive reviews, so have only got the standard shaft. I am in no way not liking the club as the mishit forgiveness is great.

I was getting better monitor numbers than my R1 this year, but I pulled my data from my fitting last year and the BB was 10 yds shy on carry distances from where I peaked with the r1, however that was a year ago and I had the BB on 10.5. I plan to take my r1 in and so a side by side at 9.5 and see where I end up.

I liked the swing weight in the BB much better. There is a noticeable difference to me. I think the r1 is a D4 and the BB is a D2.

Also love that the BB comes with my favorite grips!

I may end up getting a BB and holding onto the r1 anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The BB really didn't do anything for me with the stock shaft. I know it's a good pairing for many, but wasn't right for me. Now, given the broader catalog of shafts from Callaway (specifically the Speeder 661) pairing you with the right shaft, and I think the head is about as forgiving and functional for many folks as you are going to find.

Im running the Bertha with the heavier alpha shaft the 70 gram xstiff and love the combo

The BB really didn't do anything for me with the stock shaft. I know it's a good pairing for many, but wasn't right for me. Now, given the broader catalog of shafts from Callaway (specifically the Speeder 661) pairing you with the right shaft, and I think the head is about as forgiving and functional for many folks as you are going to find.

Thanks Ad, did you get that Speeder shaft in yours? Does it lower the spin and increase distance? I do really love the forgiveness of the head so ive got no issue there.

Unless you get fit into a new driver (or find one that fits better off the shelf), your not going to see major distance gains. The club faces are all maxed out and have been for years so the only way to increased distance on a center hit is a better fit, lighter club, or longer shaft. I'd say to club is about 5 yards longer than my last driver but I bought my last one off the shelf and got fit into the Aldila Tour Green for this driver. As you stated, where this club shines is forgiveness. Really its stupid how forgiving this thing is as I've made plenty of swings which used to be hooks which now find the fairway with minimal distance losses. If you miss laterally across the face on a driver like I do, then this has to be at the top of your list when trying drivers this year.

The BB anchored my first ever nine under par this weekend including a 285 drive into the wind on 18 which was huge since I was fully aware I was one under stepping up to the 9th tee.

Thanks Ad, did you get that Speeder shaft in yours? Does it lower the spin and increase distance? I do really love the forgiveness of the head so ive got no issue there.

Yeah, that is what I ordered for the Morgan Cup, so I haven't tried it beyond the fitting. It did lower the spin and launch for me, and created such a beautiful ball flight. Man I cannot wait until July.

Played on Saturday with this driver. Shorter course so didn't use my driver that much. However I did 5/7 fairways. And the ones I didn't hit the misses were maybe 4-5 yards into the left rough. Think it was more alignment than anything. Shot an 88 that day however my putting also helped out with that score.

My playing partner just couldn't get over how long the ball stays in the air and doesn't balloon. It just goes an goes!

Tap tap taparoo

Played the X2Hot(Reg) 10.5 N last week shot low round of the year 78, didn't drive the ball that well, played on Friday with the BB(A-Flex) 10.5+2N, had the best driving round in probably 4 years, was hitting baby draws all day, only missed 2 fw by like a few yards, shot 92, highest round in a long time, go figure. I didn't get a chance to test out the X2Hot at 10.5+2N so I can't really compare the flight, feel wise the BB is more like my Titleist 913, the X2Hot feels like a canon. I didn't like the X2Hot in the sims, it felt harsh and clunky, i was surprised i even bought it, but GolfTown had a great deal so I couldn't resist.

Using it on the course was a different story, I truly enjoyed the sound and feel. I also found that you had to tee the ball quite low for both drivers. Overall I was pleasantly surprised by the performance of both drivers, i could easily game either of them, the forgiveness in both drivers is unsurpassed right now, and the length of the shaft didn't bother me at all. Distance wise I would say it was a little bit longer than my 913D2 (44.5 inch shaft), but forgiveness wise it was light years ahead, any toe shots I had with the new drivers weren't punishing at all.

I picked up both drivers for a combined $400 CDN, 1 new and 1 used. I couldn't be happier, now only if I could hit my wedges a little closer...

Played the X2Hot(Reg) 10.5 N last week shot low round of the year 78, didn't drive the ball that well, played on Friday with the BB(A-Flex) 10.5+2N, had the best driving round in probably 4 years, was hitting baby draws all day, only missed 2 fw by like a few yards, shot 92, highest round in a long time, go figure. I didn't get a chance to test out the X2Hot at 10.5+2N so I can't really compare the flight, feel wise the BB is more like my Titleist 913, the X2Hot feels like a canon. I didn't like the X2Hot in the sims, it felt harsh and clunky, i was surprised i even bought it, but GolfTown had a great deal so I couldn't resist.

Using it on the course was a different story, I truly enjoyed the sound and feel. I also found that you had to tee the ball quite low for both drivers. Overall I was pleasantly surprised by the performance of both drivers, i could easily game either of them, the forgiveness in both drivers is unsurpassed right now, and the length of the shaft didn't bother me at all. Distance wise I would say it was a little bit longer than my 913D2 (44.5 inch shaft), but forgiveness wise it was light years ahead, any toe shots I had with the new drivers weren't punishing at all.

I picked up both drivers for a combined $400 CDN, 1 new and 1 used. I couldn't be happier, now only if I could hit my wedges a little closer...

Nice! Glad you are enjoying the drivers, both are really SOLID offerings for sure.

Back