JoeyJoeJo

Reaction score
I'm interested in hearing opinions on the pros/cons and consequences of a wide/narrow stance on full swings?

Thanks

if I get too Narrow it will cause me to slide & not rotate

I tend to do better when I get a bit wider. Feel like it helps my balance but I'm tall with long legs. Just feels more comfortable

Interesting question. It's not something I ever even think about. When I went for my first lesson ever in February, the pro thought my setup was perfect. If I absolutely had to answer the question, I'd say my feet are just outside my shoulders on all shots.....?

In my opinion, if you can get your body perpendicular to the ground over your forward leg, you are not too wide. If it's too wide, you aren't getting through the ball. A very wise man here told me this.

Too wide:

4_zps5f6ecd5c.jpg

I work on this all the time.

Rule of thumb is shoulder width or just outside the shoulders is a great base.

I strive for what Tadashi stated above

Rule of thumb is shoulder width or just outside the shoulders is a great base.

All clubs or progressively narrower?

I'm interested in how the swing or shot would break down too much either way, not a specific issue, just curious.

I'm interested in how the swing or shot would break down too much either way, not a specific issue, just curious.

It may be different for some but I widen a little for my driver and stand pretty narrow for short wedges and chips

I like to keep the same width for all full shot. partial or half shots I narrow the stance

I need a wider stance to stabilize my non-athletic hips, glutes and thighs during the back swing. When I get too narrow, my hips start drifting around a bit as I take the club back and I have little chance of getting back to the ball consistently. If I find I'm hitting fat and thin shots, I think about widening up my stance to aid in lower body stability. Actually, this applies to chipping and putting as well.

I need a wider stance to stabilize my non-athletic hips, glutes and thighs during the back swing. When I get too narrow, my hips start drifting around a bit as I take the club back and I have little chance of getting back to the ball consistently. If I find I'm hitting fat and thin shots, I think about widening up my stance to aid in lower body stability. Actually, this applies to chipping and putting as well.

If you are non athletic then a narrow stance is what you want. Maintain the flex on your knees and your hips will stabilize

Lack of stable hips has been my mechanical nemesis (injuries aside) as long as I've played golf. I've never been able to completely overcome them drifting around a bit during the back swing. If maintaining knee flex will help with that, I will certainly focus on that next time I'm out. Thanks.

If you are non athletic then a narrow stance is what you want. Maintain the flex on your knees and your hips will stabilize

Lack of stable hips has been my mechanical nemesis (injuries aside) as long as I've played golf. I've never been able to completely overcome them drifting around a bit during the back swing. If maintaining knee flex will help with that, I will certainly focus on that next time I'm out. Thanks.

If you are drifting with your hips them you are either pulling with your arms or moving your upper body too much. Maintain knee flex and turn the shoulders against a stable lower body. It like tuning to shack hands with w guy standing to your right.

If you are drifting with your hips them you are either pulling with your arms or moving your upper body too much. Maintain knee flex and turn the shoulders against a stable lower body. It like tuning to shack hands with w guy standing to your right.

This has been one of my issues recently I think - I need to widen out alittle

This has been one of my issues recently I think - I need to widen out alittle

You are athletic and could widen a bit, maybe just outside the shoulders. Make sure you have a good mix of waist bend and knee flex. You want to feel stable but not like you're growing roots.

I wanted to ask this question just in relation to my driver. I've had a lot of problems with the driver and not generating speed. I feel it's because I'm not getting enough turn in my hips. So while I was at the range I really narrowed my stance, and worked on really turning my hips as far a possible and I seemed to gain distance back. Now my question is, is a narrow stance something that I can keep playing with or is it going to lead to farther problems?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I tend to get too wide sometimes and I think it hinders my weight shift

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been working on what I mentioned in my first post in this thread, and in the last two rounds, my drives have been noticeably longer and straighter. A controlled fade that has put me consistently ten yards past where I normally am. A couple times today I was 30+ yards past my normal landing spot. Most of the tees were in the mid-back of the boxes so it's not because the tees were in the front of the tee boxes!

No pulls in either round, which is the miss that kills me.

It is difficult for me to make myself stand with my feet closer together. It's definitely not natural to me yet, so I am thinking about it every shot. Hoping I just get up there and do it pretty soon!

Love hearing this Smalls

Back