Cleveland 588 Fairway Woods Review

For those that haven't, check out the MGS FW testing results. This one seems like a great choice for the lower swing speed player.

Cleveland seemingly hit this one out of the park.

Finally got to see some numbers today with the 18 degree 5 wood, thanks to Rely letting me know where the Edwin Watts store was. Had some solid swings and felt great just like the 3 wood 15.5 I got. I would say distances are slightly lower than my Callaway x2hot 5 wood though. Here's some numbers from today.
ase7etu7.jpg

The fact that they feel similar is awesome. That doesn't always happen between clubs in the same FW family.

The fact that they feel similar is awesome. That doesn't always happen between clubs in the same FW family.

Only difference is I can't hit the 3 wood off the fairway. But still there great clubs.

Only difference is I can't hit the 3 wood off the fairway. But still there great clubs.

And if you know that going in- then don't haha.

And if you know that going in- then don't haha.

I know right. Had a Par 3 Sunday that was 200 to the back of the green and the ball went like 30-40 yards over it. Wanted to make sure I want short in the sand in the front.

I know right. Had a Par 3 Sunday that was 200 to the back of the green and the ball went like 30-40 yards over it. Wanted to make sure I want short in the sand in the front.

And knowing is half the battle

I hate to admit it, but the 588 and I are not on speaking terms at the moment. I pulled her once on a short, tight, par 4 last week and hooked her into the trees. I pulled her once tonight on a short, dogleg right par 4 and hooked her into the long grass. I liked her, and her shaft so much, that I went out and bought the shaft for my driver (and really haven't missed a fairway since), so I don't know what the problem is. This club was so easy to hit long and straight right out of the wrapper for me....I'm going with mental.

I hate to admit it, but the 588 and I are not on speaking terms at the moment. I pulled her once on a short, tight, par 4 last week and hooked her into the trees. I pulled her once tonight on a short, dogleg right par 4 and hooked her into the long grass. I liked her, and her shaft so much, that I went out and bought the shaft for my driver (and really haven't missed a fairway since), so I don't know what the problem is. This club was so easy to hit long and straight right out of the wrapper for me....I'm going with mental.

I gotta say, the honeymoon period is over for me too, I still like the club, but it is not as automatic as it was, I must have changed something in my swing

You wont like the answer, but its not the club, and certainly not the shaft.
The shaft is not going to cause you to go from hitting it straight to hooking it.

The shaft is not going to cause you to go from hitting it straight to hooking it.
I agree 100%. When I said mental, I meant that it's my inconsistent swing and the lack of confidence that comes with seeing just one hook.

I was convinced that the shaft suddently got a lot softer and changed everything overnight /endsarcasm

I was convinced that the shaft suddently got a lot softer and changed everything overnight /endsarcasm

Haha. But the truth is, thats a bit of a misnomer too. People assume that a softer shaft will cause a hook or slice. Most of the time, they are incorrect.

Haha. But the truth is, thats a bit of a misnomer too. People assume that a softer shaft will cause a hook or slice. Most of the time, they are incorrect.

I know and I mush admin I am sometimes guilty of that

When this happens to me I have to remind myself to trust the club and not over swing. I'm sure it's similar with the 588 FW

After some work the last couple of days I think for my MC bag, the 5 wood is going to be a choice for me and drop the 4 iron to make room.

After some work the last couple of days I think for my MC bag, the 5 wood is going to be a choice for me and drop the 4 iron to make room.

Good to hear Ward. Popped the 15.5 the last few days and it's still going well. When I have to find a fairway this is the club I'm hitting.

Solid decision if you ask me. It'll help you at both courses as getting off the tee is vital

Probably will do strong 3 to pair with the 5 just to have that extra option. Strong 3 being for mainly Tee and 5 for tee and fairway options.

Probably will do strong 3 to pair with the 5 just to have that extra option. Strong 3 being for mainly Tee and 5 for tee and fairway options.

More good thoughts.

Solid decision if you ask me. It'll help you at both courses as getting off the tee is vital

Agreed. I'd rather play a 2 tee club setup than a 4 iron. I'll use the second tee club more, and a 4 iron is always a low percentage shot for me. Using the low lofted FW means that I can bag a higher lofted FW for using off the deck only.

I'm thinking of doing the exact same thing (except with the strong 3, 4W and 7W). I can swap the 7W and 4 iron in and out this season, and fiddle with my wedges. That will cure my desire to "tweak" with the bag without dealing with the relearning the clubs that comes from wholesale swaps.

I may have to pick one of these up and put even more Cleveland in the bag. It would be nice to se some heavier shaft options though. They look great to me. If they are easy to hit off the deck they could be a real winner.

Can anyone tell me how these fairway woods perform out of the rough. I have the 5w. I assume its not like the mashie fairway wood performance out of rough, but I was just curious.

Can anyone tell me how these fairway woods perform out of the rough. I have the 5w. I assume its not like the mashie fairway wood performance out of rough, but I was just curious.

I don't know......I'm never there. :D

These are high flying woods that are hot off the face when hit off the tee or in the fairway. I would think these would be good at launching the ball up and out of the rough, as good as a wood could be out of the rough I guess. I've hit the 588 20.5 hybrid out of the rough and it was great! But if the rough is thick I tend to shy away from using any wood other than my hybrid if the lie is not ideal.

Better for me when the ball is sitting up, but still easy enough to hit that I don't think twice about pulling it (I have the 15.5° 3 wood).

This club seems to be a winner. Thanks for the quick responses.

Back