THP West Coast Event - Coming?

I have to agree with malemotives, WA and OR should not be overlooked. Fewer members up here vs. CA, sure, but it's also worth keeping in mind that things tend to cost significantly less up here than they do in CA, so some better deals might be able to be negotiated.

Not that CA is a bad choice at all mind you, but just don't dismiss the PNW too quickly.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

I can't really provide inputs on courses as I've played virtually no other courses outside of Vegas and I've only really played mostly munis here with an occasional trip to the courses at Paiute. That being said, I would definitely be interested in any West Coast event.

I love this has turned into the reason why West Coast events are so disregarded. With a few exceptions, most in the West are clamoring to have it as close to them as possible.

I love this has turned into the reason why West Coast events are so disregarded. With a few exceptions, most in the West are clamoring to have it as close to them as possible.

Is this most in the west? There are literally thousands more members in the west.

Is this most in the west? There are literally thousands more members in the west.

I sure hope not but once again the majority of those expressing interest in attending are on the other side of the Mississippi River.

I sure hope not but once again the majority of those expressing interest in attending are on the other side of the Mississippi River.

Agreed. Interest is interest however and if we are going to make a run at this (and we want to), we sure hope that a few more in the west decide THP Events might be for them. We are heading back out to CA for the 4th time in 6th months to discuss this very thing, so we shall see where it takes us.

I have to sit down and crunch some numbers on demographics, posts, etc.

Agreed. Interest is interest however and if we are going to make a run at this (and we want to), we sure hope that a few more in the west decide THP Events might be for them. We are heading back out to CA for the 4th time in 6th months to discuss this very thing, so we shall see where it takes us.

I have to sit down and crunch some numbers on demographics, posts, etc.

JB, I just want to express my appreciation for you all considering a California event plus those other lesser states on the West Coast. (Sorry, couldn't resist that little geocentric dig!).
But seriously, I know that you take this whole heartedly and will make it work if you think you can do it. And for that, all of us on the west coast (whether we're present here or not) owe you a big thank you and our gratitude.

I'm fully expecting that a west coast swing is on the horizon in 2015, but the work we're doing here right now will make it happen, if not next year, then the year after that. It's all about moving forward and that's really up to us as participants more than it is those that are inviting us to the party.

So if there are any members or visitors that are just lurking about, please join in and express your opinions and your interest.

Why do I get the impression that most responders seem to see "West Coast" being synonymous with "California"? There are two other states on the "west coast", and both (Oregon, Washington) have some GREAT Golf Courses. In fact, Washington will host the Women's Public Links Amateur Championship, next month, at The Home Course in Dupont, WA (Just south of Tacoma). And next year, Washington will again be in the limelight, as The US Open takes place at the rapidly becoming famous Chambers Bay Links, again... just outside of Tacoma. Both would make great Stay and Play courses; Chambers bay is already a popular stay and play destination and for good reason. As would TPC at Snoqualmie, which also hosts a stay and play package. Aside from those three, Washington is loaded with outstanding golf courses.

Here are just a few, for your examination:

Chambers Bay
(I've played this one twice and will serve as a volunteer Marshal for the 2015 US Open)
1-Chambers.jpg

Gold Mountain Olympic
2-GoldMtn.jpg

Washington national
6-WashingtonNational.jpg

The Home Course DuPont
I will be playing this one next week and will serve as a volunteer Marshal for the ladies Amateur Championships, next month.
7-TheHomeCourse.jpg

Prospectors at Suncadia
8-Prospector.jpg

All of the above are PUBLIC GOLF COURSES.

I've played all these courses as well and they are all fantastic. I am hoping to play Rope Rider (sister course to Prospector) in 2 weeks. I hear it's even better than Prospector.

A West Coast THP event would be AWESOME....let's make this happen !

Why do I get the impression that most responders seem to see "West Coast" being synonymous with "California"? There are two other states on the "west coast", and both (Oregon, Washington) have some GREAT Golf Courses. In fact, Washington will host the Women's Public Links Amateur Championship, next month, at The Home Course in Dupont, WA (Just south of Tacoma). And next year, Washington will again be in the limelight, as The US Open takes place at the rapidly becoming famous Chambers Bay Links, again... just outside of Tacoma. Both would make great Stay and Play courses; Chambers bay is already a popular stay and play destination and for good reason. As would TPC at Snoqualmie, which also hosts a stay and play package. Aside from those three, Washington is loaded with outstanding golf courses.

Here are just a few, for your examination:

Chambers Bay
(I've played this one twice and will serve as a volunteer Marshal for the 2015 US Open)

Gold Mountain Olympic

Washington national

The Home Course DuPont
I will be playing this one next week and will serve as a volunteer Marshal for the ladies Amateur Championships, next month.

Prospectors at Suncadia

All of the above are PUBLIC GOLF COURSES.

I think that the reason every one is talking CA/AZ is that in the inital thread about this event JB stated course in CA/AZ excluding Palm Springs

I think he was referring to those that are active and partake in the various conversations here not the ones who just sign up or log in when there is a contest or giveaway.

I'd love to try and make a West Coast event, if the schedule and funds work. I know there are tons of great courses from California up into Washington and all in between.

Question; How many participants does it take to make a THP happen and be worthwhile/cost effective for the company?

Question; How many participants does it take to make a THP happen and be worthwhile/cost effective for the company?

Depends on the event. for obvious reasons everybody that says they want "in" won't make it whether that be for work, financial or personal.

Outside of a single event (grandaddy), companies do not choose our event locations. We choose those solely and base it on demand, activity level and AC concentrations.

Depends on the event. for obvious reasons everybody that says they want "in" won't make it whether that be for work, financial or personal.

Outside of a single event (grandaddy), companies do not choose our event locations. We choose those solely and base it on demand, activity level and AC concentrations.

by company I meant THP. I would assume you have costs and overhead that have to be covered to make putting on an event worthwhile.

I can still honestly say that if THP put on a westcoast event, I would love to be involved in it. In lieu of a date I think I can say with certainty that as long as the date works, I would make it work.

I haven't been around much lately but would definitely be down for a West Coast event. Having golfed all up and down the coast, I'll just say that the PNW might offer the most variety and most unique opportunity for members from around North America to play on courses unlike anything you've played on before, whether it's something with views of the ocean and howling winds in a links environment (Bandon, Chambers Bay) or tucked in the lush rain forests that line many of our courses just inland from the water. Not to say the golf isn't fantastic in CA (top to bottom), AZ or NV, but the PNW just might attract more attention from people willing to travel since it's a bit more unique.

To say nothing of having you guys in Canada, where we also have tons of amazing golf.

In any case, colour me interested.

I haven't been around much lately but would definitely be down for a West Coast event. Having golfed all up and down the coast, I'll just say that the PNW might offer the most variety and most unique opportunity for members from around North America to play on courses unlike anything you've played on before, whether it's something with views of the ocean and howling winds in a links environment (Bandon, Chambers Bay) or tucked in the lush rain forests that line many of our courses just inland from the water. Not to say the golf isn't fantastic in CA (top to bottom), AZ or NV, but the PNW just might attract more attention from people willing to travel since it's a bit more unique.

To say nothing of having you guys in Canada, where we also have tons of amazing golf.

In any case, colour me interested.

I think the idea is to put in a central location where the most people will come but i am sure if it sells out quickly and the WC is well represented i would imagine JB & GG might be more inclined to do a few more events out here

Let me pose a couple of questions to those on the west coast in this thread.

1. Do you plan on trying to sign up for #TheGrandaddy this year?
If not, why not?

2. If you were around and did not try to sign up for the Vegas event last year, if you dont mind sharing the reason?

Working on a couple of things and these answers will assist.

If not, why not?

2. If you were around and did not try to sign up for the Vegas event last year, if you dont mind sharing the reason?

1. absofreakinglutely
2. I had gone to the outing earlier in the year and could not afford it at the time.

If not, why not? I definitely plan on becoming an AC member and doing whatever necessary to be a part of this.

2. If you were around and did not try to sign up for the Vegas event last year, if you dont mind sharing the reason? I wasn't around but had I been, I would have attended provided no work conflicts. (actually even if work did conflict I probably would have found a way out.)

If not, why not? I definitely plan on becoming an AC member and doing whatever necessary to be a part of this.

2. If you were around and did not try to sign up for the Vegas event last year, if you dont mind sharing the reason? I wasn't around but had I been, I would have attended provided no work conflicts. (actually even if work did conflict I probably would have found a way out.)

THP West Coast Event - Coming?

If not, why not?

1. I will be entering every contest, just as I did for the last Grandaddy.

2. I did not attend the LV because we had our first child shortly before the event. At the time of sign ups I was unsure just how much my life would change and couldn't commit to a weekend away. It was a very tough decision.

Last edited:

If not, why not?

1. I will be Trying for sure can't wait to wipe the ZooCrew off the bottom of my boots
2. I was around but the Timing was not possiable for me September is the craziest month of the year for me I work 7 days a week 12 hr a day Mid Aug- October for grape harvest.

This is sweet. Vacation time opens up next year and I've got some money to blow. I could always use a trip to the west coast.

1. yes, definitely
2. n/a

1. Yep.
2. Was there and it was the reason I am going to 3 events in 2014.

If it's west coast, I'm there. Period. A lot of what I would suggest depends on the time of year. In the winter months, the desert courses down in SoCal are great, but you probably wouldn't want to mess with them May-September. I'm partial to the Central Coast and Bay Area, because there are so many iconic courses that I think THP and the members would enjoy. So...here are just a few suggestions from me on that front:

Central Coast:
Bayonet/Blackhorse
Poppy Hills
Spyglass
Spanish Bay
Quail Lodge
Pasatiempo
San Juan Oaks (a little more inland, but not much)

Nor-Cal/Bay Area:
TPC Harding Park
Half Moon Bay
Poppy Ridge
I know there are more great courses up there and in the San Jose area too, but some of the farther north guys are more familiar than me.

If it goes to So Cal, I've always wanted to play Torrey Pines, Trump, etc.

Back