PING i25 Irons - Review Thread

I need a little more fade and lower ball flight out of my 6-PW. I'm going to demo some Ping s55 irons to see if they can bring my ball flight down and give me more fade vs my i25's. Any thoughts?

I have been able to work the i25s just as much as any blades I have played. You'd be sacrificing a lot of distance and forgiveness I think. New shafts could help though.

I have been able to work the i25s just as much as any blades I have played. You'd be sacrificing a lot of distance and forgiveness I think. New shafts could help though.
This is pretty much my thought as well. Why give up all that forgiveness for entirely new heads when you could conceivably get the same lower ball flight from different shaft.

Thats my fear. I'm so used to the forgiveness now but I just can't seem to hit a fade with the 6-PW. I tend to get a draw or a strait shot. I can fade it if I over cook it a bit but what I need is that easy fade for those back right pins. 3-5 irons are perfect and shape just fine. They may never leave the bag.

When I hit the S55 and the I25 together, same shaft, I did not see much difference in ball flight between the two. Neither did the pro. The difference was in mis-hits. The I25 misses were much better than the S55 misses.

And, while I am not a great golfer, I have no problem moving the ball left to right OR right to left with these clubs. I just change ball position a tad (fade=slightly back in stance).

Thats my fear. I'm so used to the forgiveness now but I just can't seem to hit a fade with the 6-PW. I tend to get a draw or a strait shot. I can fade it if I over cook it a bit but what I need is that easy fade for those back right pins. 3-5 irons are perfect and shape just fine. They may never leave the bag.

A shaft that is better fit may help with control more as well. As far as Ctaper, Tour-v, Nippon Modus 3 120, I can say those have been better on flight and control for me.

This is pretty much my thought as well. Why give up all that forgiveness for entirely new heads when you could conceivably get the same lower ball flight from different shaft.

A shaft that is better fit may help with control more as well. As far as Ctaper, Tour-v, Nippon Modus 3 120, I can say those have been better on flight and control for me.

I will give this a go first. I have access to a ping fitting cart so should be interesting.

Just cleaned up the i25's for the THP event this weekend. Amazed with the durability and quality of these irons. Very little signs of wear on the sole & faces. Equally happy with the graphite shaft durability. Hardly any wear on the shafts from being pulled in and out of the bag.

Spoiler
uteju2a4.jpg

Spoiler
qazu5e3u.jpg

Spoiler
uqy2etar.jpg

Spoiler
jepuzy2e.jpg

Just cleaned up the i25's for the THP event this weekend. Amazed with the durability and quality of these irons. Very little signs of wear on the sole & faces. Equally happy with the graphite shaft durability. Hardly any wear on the shafts from being pulled in and out of the bag.

Since I was in PHX the last few days, I stopped in and went through an iron and putter fitting at Ping. Most consistent iron results were with the i25s, with Recoil 110s. Tried the TFCs, too, but while directional dispersion was good, they couldn't touch the Recoils for launch, height, spin, ball speed, directional dispersion, distance or distance dispersion. The Ping homer, in me, is quietly chanting "Do it. Do it. Do it."

"Do it. Do it. Do it."

Do it! If there ever was a club that met the needs of the broadest player base it would be the PING i25's. In all my club years I don't think I've hit a club that can be played by so many different player levels.

Do it! If there ever was a club that met the needs of the broadest player base it would be the PING i25's. In all my club years I don't think I've hit a club that can be played by so many different player levels.

They definitely have a little more forgiveness than my AP2s and a slightly higher launch. I don't know that I'll end up changing anything, but I'm not opposed to the ponder. :)

This thread is really good, filled with tons of great information. Great job testers, keep it up!

When I hit the S55 and the I25 together, same shaft, I did not see much difference in ball flight between the two. Neither did the pro. The difference was in mis-hits. The I25 misses were much better than the S55 misses.

And, while I am not a great golfer, I have no problem moving the ball left to right OR right to left with these clubs. I just change ball position a tad (fade=slightly back in stance).

I am only 2 weeks into my i25s but have had no problem moving it, or bringing the trajectory down either... I weaken my right hand grip a little and the ball starts falling slowly to the right.

Kinda fun seeing the young amateur Matthew Fitzpatrick playing at least a few i25s at the US Open.

Time to go and get a demo iron of these this week. I love the distance I've gained with the irons I have, but I have gone down in GIR % significantly. Will some Ping "i" make their way back into my bag??? We'll see this week!

Pkielwa:
What are you FIR? So goes your fairways hit, so goes your GIR! These clubs are deadly from the fairway and light rough. When I am in the fairway, with a reasonable distance to the green, I have no doubt that I am going to hit the green. That kind of confidence is what makes these clubs so much different from all the forged blades I have played over the last 40 years. I have been playing these for a couple of months and I am still very much in love with them. At 68 yrs. old I am still hitting the 7 iron 155 and playing from the men's regular tee's and have a reasonable low handicap. These clubs have made retirement a blast!!

Pkielwa:
What are you FIR? So goes your fairways hit, so goes your GIR! These clubs are deadly from the fairway and light rough. When I am in the fairway, with a reasonable distance to the green, I have no doubt that I am going to hit the green. That kind of confidence is what makes these clubs so much different from all the forged blades I have played over the last 40 years. I have been playing these for a couple of months and I am still very much in love with them. At 68 yrs. old I am still hitting the 7 iron 155 and playing from the men's regular tee's and have a reasonable low handicap. These clubs have made retirement a blast!!

Im at 52% FIR. 37% on GIR. The one doesn't necessarily beget the other. I've never had a lower GIR than I have at the moment. I was over 55% when I had my i20s... I picked-up the 7 iron demo today. I will get it on the range and course tomorrow after work. I can't wait!

The reason I ask those questions, is that my FIR has been averaging 11 for years and my GIR used to be 9 and now FIR has not changed, but the GIR has improved to 13 base solely on these irons. My miss is the thin shot and when I do that with this iron the ball flight is a little lower than normal, but I am reaching the green with a little longer putt. I occasionally miss on the toe, but with the same result. That is why I am so high on these clubs. I sure hope you have the same success with these clubs that I have. Good luck to you!!

Think I'll do the shaft and lie adjustment to help lower the ball flight a bit for me. Since my wife won't let me fly out to Arizona to get the clubs tweaked at PING factory I guess I'll just grab a local PING fitting cart and launch monitor and spend the day finding if it's me or the shaft =).

Well after many sessions on the range, and 2 more rounds with the i25, I have a few more thoughts that hopefully will help someone else. I played one of the toughest courses in my area on Father's Day, with my two sons. It was hot, windy, and the greens played as fast as they have played in at least a couple years.

First, the negatives: 1) The stock Ping grips are not the greatest. The tour velvet-like grip feels thin, and and in the heat and humidity, didn't inspire confidence. Admittedly, you could nearly wrap my grips in sand paper, and I would still want more texture. I'll be changing these out for GP Whiteouts very soon. 2) I am still struggling a little with the weighting in the 4 and 5. I do notice that with every time out, with every swing, I am getting better results.

Positives: 1) CONTROL. You can hit all the shots. Fades, straight, low, high, I even hit a few draws just this past round. Just a simple grip modification, and ball placement adjustment, and you can have about whatever you can imagine. 2) FORGIVENESS. I was playing in high winds, with an arthritic issue in my left hand, and still hit 9 GIRs, which for me is very good. At least 3 of those GIRs would. Not have happened, except for the i25 forgiveness, one of which led to a 20 foot birdie putt. 3) DURABILITY. I have always been amazed over the years, when playing with buddies that play Pings, of how great their irons have held up over time, despite not always being well taken care of. I have hit at least 500-600 range balls, plus 81 holes of golf, and they show almost no sign of wear at all. AMAZING!

Things are only going to get better as I get used to the long irons. As for the mid and short irons, I am already starting to get them dialed in.

Golfbuddy;
I know exactly what you are talking about the Ping grips. I pulled mine after 1 round in favor of the GolfPride VDR grips with much better playability. Glad you are enjoying your clubs,

My i25 ponder was gaining steam, until I called Ping to check on delivery timing for a custom order. I would be getting the 25s with Recoil 110 shafts. The service rep mentioned that there were some discussions regarding potential adhesion issues with the Recoils. I have no doubt Ping will find a solution (or maybe already has), but it did put my ponder on hold. Probably better for my wallet, anyway.

Good initial trial with the 7 iron, CFS stiff, +1/2", on the range tonight. Taking it to the course tomorrow to get some yardage comparisons. It was easy to see my "miss" was SO much better with this club. Looks like it may not be as long as my X2 Hot Pro, but definitely straighter... Tomorrow should be interesting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I pulled the trigger on a set if i25's. 4-LW with CFS shafts. I'm playing G25's right now, so we'll see how this goes. First thing I'll do is change the grips, as I agree with most here that the Ping grips are not good.

I received a $200 gift card to the PGA SS for my birthday and whether it happens soon or near the end of the year, the i25s will be joining my bag.

My i25 ponder was gaining steam, until I called Ping to check on delivery timing for a custom order. I would be getting the 25s with Recoil 110 shafts. The service rep mentioned that there were some discussions regarding potential adhesion issues with the Recoils. I have no doubt Ping will find a solution (or maybe already has), but it did put my ponder on hold. Probably better for my wallet, anyway.

Interesting, I have been pondering trying out my steelfilber i95's in the i25 heads. Wonder if I would be running into the same issue? The stock graphite have had no adhesion issues.

Back