STX XFORM3 Putter (Unofficial Review)

deuce

Grenade!
Reaction score
Introduction
A bit of background before I start this review. I am a professed STX fanatic. Before I picked up the XFORM3, I gamed an STX ProFIT 3. When I first started playing, I figured the quickest way to drop my scores was by putting well, and so I started the journey into finding the putter that would best help me in that endeavor. I was drawn to the "technologically innovative" putters such as those provided by Yes!, GEL, and RIFE and from there I was sucked into the world of inserts. When I first came across the ProFIT series, and found out that I could modify the putter by choosing amongst the interchangeable faces and back weights I knew I had to give it a shot. When I finally came across the ProFIT 3 at GolfSmith, it was love at first roll. With the softest insert, the ball stealthily rolled off the face and I knew I had my gamer. That was seven months ago, and while I have tried to knock it out of the bag with putters from more well known companies, it has held firm. That was until I read about the XFORM3 from STX. Hence, this review.

About STX

The STX journey to produce world class, technically superior equipment began in 1970. Our mission is to offer products and choices that go beyond industry standards and conventional thinking. Our quest is to always pursue unprecedented feel and performance in each and every detail. When you choose STX, you can trust that we believe in your passion for the game just as much as we believe in the equipment with which you play. So join us on this journey. The Time is Now.

From STX about the XFORM series
STX XFORM Series putters are 100% machined from extremely soft 304 stainless steel. Tour inspired designs combine classic elements with modern style. Their soft satin finish and distinctive milling lines create a glare free, rich appearance.

XFORM Putters are equipped with our deep diamond milling that promotes a quicker forward roll and produces the soft feel desired by the best players in the world.

XFORM3 specifications
Loft 3
Lie 71
Weight 355
Offset None
Lengths 34, 35
Handed LH, RH
Finish Soft Satin
Balance Face

When you ask people to list off the top putter manufacturing companies, STX is rarely a name you will hear thrown into that mix. They are predominately a lacrosse company, but they have been involved in the golf industry since 1970. They claim to have introduced face-insert technology to the world in the 1980's, and that they remain the acknowledged authority in this technology. Interestingly enough, with the XFORM series, STX has broken away from that tradition and moved to a deep, diamond patterned, 100% milled face.

About the deep milling technology

For those who prefer putters without inserts, STX now offers the feel and sound of traditional milled stainless steel. By utilizing our new Deep Diamond milling pattern, we were able to produce a non-insert putter with similar performance characteristics to a soft insert putter. The Deep Diamond mill pattern increases friction to promote forward roll and produces the soft feel desired by the best players in the world.

10410628_761538567202380_6129867632676597485_n.jpg

The deep diamond faced milling can be seen in this shot of the STX XFORM3.​

Characteristics
The XFORM3 is a face balanced putter that carries a surprising bit of heft to it, weighing in at 355 grams. While it is considered a large mallet, it is deceivingly compact at address. Alignment aids are minimal, no painted dots or lines on the top of the putter. A lightly ridged center bar, about three quarters of a ball thick, sits behind the center shaft; both of which can be used for ball alignment. It's square shape provides further confidence at address, and weight has been moved to the outside bars to provide a high MOI for improved accuracy on off-centered ball strikes.

10416570_761538843869019_928574483123896146_n.jpg

Side-view of the STX. One of only three markings on the putter can be see towards the back.

The putter is understated, no fancy colors with the exception of a splash of neon yellowish green on the face and on the side (both highlighting the STX brand), and on the putters underbelly (which highlights the model). The Golf Pride grip is a dull grey, which complements the stainless steel putter itself and once again a small splash of color lets your playing partners know you are gaming an STX flatstick. Additionally, the satin finish reduces glare even with the sun directly overhead. This produces a no-frills putter that states that it is there simply to go about the business of putting. That is a claim that holds up once you settle in for your first putt.

Playability
For some it may take some time to trust that a stainless steel putter will provide them with a soft roll off the face. STX claims that the 304 stainless steel provides such an experience. Coupled with the deep diamond milling, the ball does roll off the face quite smoothly, with no bounce. It is deceptively quiet, with a urethane ball (B330RX) there was just a whisper off of the putter face, and with a surlyn cover (e6) there was a soft click. One thing that took some adjusting was that with the putter at address, the hands are placed slightly ahead of the putter face. For a center shafted putter, this seems a bit out of the ordinary, and while STX claims this is a zero offset putter, this setup belies that claim. While this setup at address took some getting used to, the reviewer was able to adjust his stance appropriately, but this may cause some people to swear this putter off. Balls hit to the edge of the face did not seem to suffer significantly reduced speeds, and continued to track straight to the hole (provided one is lined up properly to begin with).

10376050_761538763869027_6872125271032396569_n.jpg

The XFORM3 at address. If you like your putters understated, you may like this one.

Parting Thoughts
STX is an often overlooked option in the world of putters. They are neither one of the large OEMs, nor one of the niche, custom shops. Despite this, they continue to provide solid offerings for those willing to give them a try. As a matter of fact, the XFORM1 and XFORM2 won the 2012 Players Choice Award from Golfing Magazine, and throughout the course of STX's history on the PGA Tour they have amassed 12 victories.

Out of the four putter lines STX currently offers, the XFORM series is definitively their high end. The XFORM1 is a plumbers neck, mid-hang putter; the XFORM2 is a flare neck, toe down design; and finally, the XFORM3 closes the gap for those who prefer a face balanced, center shafted, mallet.

This is most likely a putter – and company – that hasn't found its way onto many people’s radars. It should be worth mentioning however that the company does produce quality products. Being a leader in the lacrosse world, this is not a fly-by-night operation. Hopefully this review generates some interest, and if you see an STX putter in the future, give it a roll. You may be surprised at how well it feels.

STX Golf website: http://www.stxgolf.com/

Last edited:
After seeing your initial post on this acquisition, I was intrigued. I didn't know they had nifty stuff like this model, and I like the looks of it. Of course, being center shafted, no offset, helps.

Great review! Personally, I have never even heard of STX. I really like the shape of that.

After seeing your initial post on this acquisition, I was intrigued. I didn't know they had nifty stuff like this model, and I like the looks of it. Of course, being center shafted, no offset, helps.
They have center shaft, no offset options in all four of their lines. Some of them are blades (Pitch Black), some are mid-mallet (Sync) and some are mallets (ProFIT and XFORM). I have never had luck gaming a blade, but was thinking of giving the Pitch Black 1, a 345g center shaft blade a whirl.

Great review! Personally, I have never even heard of STX. I really like the shape of that.
They are a well kept secret. They didn't have a booth, IIRC, at the 2014 PGA show but that may be because they didn't come out with a new line this year. Not sure what their release cycle is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They have center shaft, no offset options in all four of their lines. Some of them are blades (Pitch Black), some are mid-mallet (Sync) and some are mallets (ProFIT and XFORM). I have never had luck gaming a blade, but was thinking of giving the Pitch Black 1, a 345g center shaft blade a whirl.

They are a well kept secret. They didn't have a booth, IIRC, at the 2014 PGA show but that may be because they didn't come out with a new line this year. Not sure what their release cycle is.

I know a few years back they were on the putting green at demo day but I never did find their booth at the show. I may have just overlooked it though.

Talked to the STX product manager today. He said the putter was designed such that my hands should be directly over the putter head (they are slightly forward). He said it should bend just fine if I had a reputable club guy (I do now thanks to Ron) but if it broke just to contact him and he'd have it replaced. I'm liking STX more and more!

Rockbottom Golf is selling them for $29.99 right now. These are $250+ putters.

Me neither, except for in lacrosse.

I really like the looks of this putter. Id love to try one but they are extremely hard to find.

Great review dude.

I really like the looks of this putter. Id love to try one but they are extremely hard to find.

RBG at their site or their eBay page ... Right now they are selling them for $30. All three styles were up for sale a couple of hours ago.

Put the XForm1 into play this past week. First time I've played a true blade putter. It was a pleasurable experience, it'll stay in the bag for awhile methinks.

Nice review! I really like the look of the XFORM2 from their website, well done.

XFORM1 Review

XFORM1 Review

XFORM1 specifications
Loft: 3 degrees
Lie: 71 degrees
Weight: 350 grams
Offset: Full
Lengths: 34”, 35”
Handed: RH, LH
Finish: Soft Satin, polished sole
Balance: Toe Hang

Characteristics
The XFORM1 is one of two bladed versions produced by STX. Sharing the title of Golfing Magazine’s Best Putter of 2012 with the XFORM2 (the half offset, goose-necked option) the plumbers-necked XFORM1 rounds out the stable of 100% Milled putters released by STX. The XFORM1 weighs in at a hefty 350 grams and comes fitted with a grey with neon green accented, Golf Pride Players Wrap grip. The neon green in the grip matches the paint fill in the putter itself, and turns the putter into one elegant piece of golfing art.

The putter gives off a very modern almost futuristic flair, with its unique lines and curves, and the putter tails off towards the back, ending with a simple stated STX logo.

10435411_814189035270666_1171084819003740899_n.jpg

The polished sole breaks up the otherwise soft satin finish of the XFORM1.

Playability
Like the XFORM3, the XFORM1 is made from 304 stainless steel and features the deep diamond milling on the face. This produces a muted sound upon impact, and places a roll on the ball that avoids skipping immediately upon contact. For those that prefer minimalism with their putters, they will appreciate the XFORM1’s single sight dot.

10405642_814189031937333_7565315114117049677_n.jpg

STX put their own spin on the plumbers neck. Also seen is the deep diamond milling in the face.

10649859_814189025270667_1342280721695205812_n.jpg

Minimalists rejoice! A single sight dot on the thin top line of the XFORM1.

10686833_814189028604000_7411563433725546920_n.jpg

A Golf Pride Players Wrap accented with the STX logo completes the XFORM1.

Last edited:
Back